Friday, August 24, 2012

A short hiatus, but first: OPI Do You Think I'm Tex-y?

I was wearing China Glaze Kiwi Cool-ada this week, but I couldn't take a picture of it to save my life, so let me show y'all what I wore before I wore that.

For a year, this OPI Texas polish has been languishing in the train case that houses my untried OPIs. Why try this now?

Last week, I was replying to a message on Facebook and scrolling down my timeline (no ... really, FUCK YOU, NEW TIMELINE), when I saw a journo classmate's pictures of a one-year wedding anniversary "photoshoot" wherein her photographer friend followed her and her husband around for an afternoon. My friend and her mister are crazy photogenic. Anyway, all I got out of the pictures was that my friend was wearing a really beautiful deep pink, berry, sort of magenta creme on her fingers and toes, and I WANTED IT. --To be fair, she's also an alabaster goddess, and the kind of color I just described is one that would pull differently on different wearers, so my yellow hands probably would make me look jaundiced.

But I couldn't get the color out of my mind, and I knew that I had to have SOMETHING that would do. Despite its stupid name and the fact that it photographs a hair warmer than it really is (it's so much more pink on my yellowness), this OPI did very well.




Three coats with SV.








I know we as an Internets collectively rolled our eyes at OPI's announcement of their sorbet jelly polishes in last spring's Texas collection, but we were pleasantly surprised when the jellies turned out to be not only easy to apply, but fairly opaque as well. This certainly is true for Do You Think I'm Tex-y?, which also dries to a very glossy shine before top coat and is the most pink of the collection (had this been a creme, it would have been unoriginal as heck). I used three coats for opacity and it's quite squishy, though you can stop at two coats for the true jelly experience. You can see my smile lines because I'd let my nails get a bit long.

Do You Think I'm Tex-y? was one of the four jellies in OPI's Spring 2011 Texas collection. It never ceases to amaze me that I wound up with five OPI Texas polishes, despite being crazy underwhelmed by the collection! Anyway, I'm not sure if this one made it to the core OPI line, but it shouldn't be HTF online or at beauty supplies that stock OPI.


Also, this is happening, and worth mentioning:

I'm going on a short hiatus near the end of the month, because

TL;DR version = I'm moving
--Not the blog, but me. And my Helmer. (Gulp.)

Please wish me luck! I'm going to need it. @__@ 

I'll be posting a mini blog sale on Monday. For the most part, you'll be seeing some familiar polishes that didn't work for me for whatever reason. I hope you'll be able to give those pretties the love that I just could not!


I've been in a not-so-great place for the past two years, emotionally and a little bit geographically. I know I've been very lucky and I shouldn't complain, but the fact is I've been unhappy, lonely and frustrated with myself and my surroundings. I'm stuck between the weird yet increasingly common position of deciding whether I want to go back to school and how to professionally reinvent myself. Other things have also affected me, and you guys, I can't even count the ways in which I've let myself go.

So with the help of a couple of really good friends, I'm making a necessary change. I'm probably making things more difficult for myself, but I'm moving back to familiar territory, to a section of town where I've never lived before. And the best part is that I'm sharing an apartment with another nail blogger, my bud Tara of Tara Loves Colors. (As Madeline put it, I'm going to OD on fun.) T and I looked at a few apartments in July and we found one that we're very happy with in terms of location, pricing, amenities and rental company policies.

Our move-in date is September 7, days away from my 26th birthday. As a child, I thought I would be more sophisticated and accomplished at 26, which might explain my debilitating childhood habit of comparing myself and my accomplishments (or lack thereof) to others'. I still do it (case in point: at 26, my mother was practicing medicine. I write a blog about nail polish.), but I'm learning the extremely hard and slow way that each person accomplishes things in one's own time. I honestly believe this move will be the catalyst for getting me out of my former mindset and into a happier, healthier place.

I've always said that real life comes first, and if I'm not around as much in the next couple of weeks, this is why. I have a couple of posts scheduled to go, but please pardon me if I'm slower than usual in responding to comments and e-mails. I think things will settle down after I move, and blogging will help me establish a routine I can live with.

Anyway, if you actually read all the way down to the end of this post, thank you! I hope you have a good weekend, and I'll see you back on Monday.

18 comments:

  1. Good luck with the move! And don't feel unaccomplished. I am 30 and just realized I have lived in the town I moved to for college over a decade ago, longer than anywhere else my entire life and we didn't really move much as a kid. I guess I still have 6 months on my 'hometown' but we moved to a different house while living there so it almost doesn't count.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you, Becca. I don't know, I feel half-formed professionally (I have a very limited skill set, and I didn't get to advance to the level I'd wanted to when I left the field) so I think a lot of those feelings are also part of what's holding me back. Sigh.

      Delete
  2. Noooooo, don't be like Asian parents! You are awesome and we all do not need to compare ourselves to each other! And I am praying for your Helmer. God will protect it and all that :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love you! And I think I will just move it one or two drawers at a time, since deciding which DVDs and books I need for emergencies is just as if not more of a dire situation. LMAOOOO.

      Delete
  3. Dude Alabaster Goddess?????? I just love the way you write! Oh and I HATE moving-it has to be life's worst chore. OMG I wish you luck on that. Hope it helps you get happier!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Fingers! It's not as bad as it could be for me, mostly because I'm not going THAT far and I don't have super heavy furniture ... yet.

      Delete
  4. Best of luck with the move! Hope everything works out for ya! I love the OPI "sorbet" polishes. I've got Houston We Have a Purple and pretty much used a quarter of it already!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jennifer! I still have one more left to try, but I did wear HWHAP last summer and also loved it. :)

      Delete
  5. Yay, moving! I'm so happy for you. (Incidentally, I am moving on the 8th!) I know how you feel about comparing yourself to other people--all of my friends from college are moving to Seattle or Portland while Nate and I are moving to a tiny navy town.

    So DYTIT? (I'm pretty sure everyone is drunk when they name these) looks so good on you. I have it but I feel sort of meh about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooooooooh, the 8th? Yeah, over the summer I realized that I never talk to my friends in D.C. any more. I don't feel ~professional~ enough to be worthy of anyone's time. :/

      Thank you! Why meh? I thought it looked good on you in your blog post picture.

      Delete
  6. this polish is just gorgeous on you! All the very best for your move *fingers crossed* the pretties make it to their new home safely

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kristy! You're so sweet. <3

      Delete
  7. Best of luck with the move - I am not moving but I am starting to go through my things like I was prepping for a move - be in the same house for 17 yrs - used to toss stuff - past 8 yrs not nearly enough or often...so now getting ruthless...and what's this? A train case of untrieds??? Try about 6 Rubbermaid plastic shoe boxes full of em here! Then about as many in dupes.

    Texy was sold to me at a beauty supply - the gal mixed it with the more orangy jell polish in the same TX collection and together they are amazing...good jelly for sandwitching too. Mixing the 2 took each from meah to yea mode in my book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!

      No, no -- the train case is full of untried OPIs. My Helmer is full of untried everything else, soooooo there's also that.

      Delete
  8. Best of luck! I love jellies, so naturally I love Do You Think I'm Tex-y :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Naz! :) I'm not so big on jellies, but I've loved the 2 OPI Texas ones I've tried.

      Delete
  9. I love jellies, especially red ones!! And I do the same thing with collections too!! they come out and I don't see anything I like and then somehow I end up with half the collection... looking forward to your blog sale!! good luck with the move! =))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. RIGHT?! I am staying away from OPI Germany for this very reason. (I actually like more from OPI Germany than I did from OPI Texas, but I haven't seen Germany in person.)

      Delete

Thank you for checking out my little nail blog! I do read and appreciate your comments and/or feedback, although it might take me a few days to get back to you. Time-sensitive inquiries should be directed to my e-mail address (rachswatched@gmail).

Please be polite and respectful when responding to others' comments in a post; if you are rude, I will delete your comment and Hannibal Lecter will eat you. Please don't leave spam comments with blog links -- it's tacky and I don't do it. Neither should you.