Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Pink Wednesday: Sally Hansen Complete Salon Manicure Cerise, or "Unsuccessfully Killing a Lemming"

Another Wednesday, another pink. This one IS pink, I swear.




Back in April, I swatched Sally Hansen Olive Branch and said Olive Branch would be the only one I would buy from the fashion-inspired Complete Salon Manicure spring display. Obviously, I spoke too soon, because I bought Cerise in June while I was at WalMart looking for those little bags of wine coolers and daiquiris that you have to freeze at home for a few hours (I hate Tara so much right now for introducing me to these).

The truth was, I really really wanted NARS Anardana after seeing it on Jellynat (that blog seems to have been removed. Sad panda! I loved it. Also, I wanted the entire Thakoon for NARS collection ... and I still do). The thing was, I wasn't willing to pay NARS prices for it -- let me tell you now, this is so not a dupe. It's really nice for what it is, but I repeat, IT IS NOT A DUPE. (Damn it.)

I have to warn you now that this color freaked out my camera SO MUCH. It's really saturated and has more pink tones than I was able to show you. On my monitor, Cerise looks EXACTLY like this (the first one). I had no idea cerise meant "cherry" in French, or that it resembled the bluer tones of an uncooked cherry. Thank you, Wikipedia.




Two coats with SV.








See what I mean about it being saturated? Cerise is closer to Essie Watermelon, but a little warmer than Watermelon and therefore not a dupe for Anardana, which leans much cooler in comparison and makes Cerise look almost like a deeper pink-red coral.
 
The formula on this polish is quite nice, very jelly-creme in finish. It would have been easier to apply if the brushes for the SH Complete Salon line weren't so broomy and uneven. My brush was in need of minor surgery, which I did not perform; I just flipped the brush over and polished with the lined-up end, if that makes sense. It dried quickly with SV to a very glossy shine.

The spring Sally Hansen Complete Salon Manicure shades for Tracy Reese are pretty well documented, as are the Prabal Gurung colors, so I'm willing to bet Cerise belongs to the shades for Alexander Wang. Edit: The Alexander Wang shades were Parchment, Petrol and Oxblood. WHERE THE HECK DID CERISE COME FROM?!?! You might be able to find this on clearance at Target or for a couple more bucks on eBay. Who knows, you might get lucky and find this tucked away at a drugstore or even on a blog sale. *cough*

Like I said earlier, Cerise is a let-down if you're looking for a NARS Anardana dupe. On the other hand, it excels at simply being what it is. I know it's for a good reason, but right now I hate this low-buy and I hate that I want Anardana so much. Darn you, NARS and Thakoon! And darn Tara for addicting me to those frozen drinks! Each drink is double the size of a Capri Sun but with alcohol and without a straw, and only around $1 and change. They're good to have on hand if you don't want to mix a lot of ingredients and are willing to wait a few hours for them to freeze (it takes five hours, I think, so you'd be set for the night if you froze one early in the afternoon). I love frozen drinks, alcoholic or non. I don't have a problem. Noooooope.

13 comments:

  1. Sorry this didn't turn out to be a dupe for NARS but it's still lovely!!! And... Are you trying to addict ME now to those drinks?? :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'll live! Buuuuut, you'd probably think those drinks are weaksauce. Since wine and I are not friends, I tend not to discriminate with beer and cocktails. ;)

      Delete
  2. I love CSM polishes but was surprisingly underwhelmed with this until I saw your swatch. But since you compared it to Essie Watermelon (which looked horrible on me), I'm back to square one. Oh well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amanda, this is a good deal warmer than Watermelon and leans more toward coral whereas Watermelon leans more toward pink. Hope this helped.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Yes, yes you do. They also have non-alcoholic frozen lemonade. :3

      Delete
  4. Wonderful shade - we never got any of the new CSM colors into my area for some reason...I looked all spring through now. I was hooked about 3 yrs ago on the CSM brush and formula - esp the creams.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh - and I won't pop for the $ for the Nars polishes either...I had 1 bottle given to me as a gift and it was not a great formula in that 1 bottle. I have CMS's, ChG's that are far better. So I have stopped lemming any of the Nars now when I see new ones.

      Delete
    2. See, I hate the new brush. Any brand that adopts this brush, from drugstore to high-end department store brands, is sure to have quality control issues with it. People say you get what you pay for with drugstore brands, but they have to be in denial about brands like Dior (which I love).

      Delete
  5. Aha! Did you know they have a "skinny" version of those drinks now??? I just got a strawberry daiquiri that is only 100 calories! yummmm. Pretty polish! I've decided that all of those red pinks can sod off because they all end up looking meh on me. Pretty on you though! So excited that we move soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HA. I never believe anything that purports to be a certain number of calories, especially when sugary alcohol is involved. But I'll give it a try. Darn you for getting me into them!

      Delete
  6. I personally don't like the NARS formula-I own two, but I wouldn't buy another-And I have been a bad badgirl this fall season-I am a sucker for a vampy color-and I'm sure some I have bought ARE dupes!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've only used one of my three NARS nps, but I quite liked the formula on it. Sorry to hear yours wasn't up to snuff.

      Delete

Thank you for checking out my little nail blog! I do read and appreciate your comments and/or feedback, although it might take me a few days to get back to you. Time-sensitive inquiries should be directed to my e-mail address (rachswatched@gmail).

Please be polite and respectful when responding to others' comments in a post; if you are rude, I will delete your comment and Hannibal Lecter will eat you. Please don't leave spam comments with blog links -- it's tacky and I don't do it. Neither should you.