Thursday, August 9, 2012

Urban Outfitters Barstool

No fancy pre(r)amble today, so let's get down to business.


(source: lolsnort.com)


     Did they send me daughters
     When I asked for sons?


... no Huns (also, I am totally in the mood to watch "Mulan" right now, all gender issues aside), but here's some polish instead. Will that do?




Three coats with SV.











Barstool was extremely nagl (not a good look) for me. That was sad, because it's so beautiful. Piff and Tara loved it! This is a light blue-grey JELLY with a wonderful formula that's a bit thin but buildable in three coats. Before I bought this, I had no idea it was a jelly -- not that that makes too much of a difference, but the squishiness kind of detracted from Barstool's wearability on me. It's hard to explain. Plus the color was too light for my skin tone. I love blue-greys, but I guess I should stick to darker ones lest I want to look lobstery.

I haven't been inside an Urban Outfitters in a few months, so I don't know if this is still being sold in stores. However, you can find it at the UO site for $5 a bottle, and $8 for two bottles (go for this deal!).

I plan to rehome my bottle, but don't let me dampen your enthusiasm for this polish! This is a really impressive color from a store brand like UO, in all fairness. Do you agree? Are some blue-grey hybrids unwearable for you, too? The last one that met with success for me was Zoya Kristen, which I think is the lightest I can go with colors like these. I do have some darker shades in this color family that are a better fit for me, and you can be sure to see them here ... eventually. :) Bonus question: What's your favorite jam from "Mulan"? I didn't care for too many of them when it first came out, but they've grown on me over time.

17 comments:

  1. This color is pretty but I never wear colors like this. I think it's too grey for me. UO polish is great though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Emily, I'm with you on those light blue/greys. They're tricky to wear, which is a shame because Barstool is probably one of the best/most unique UO polishes, IMO.

      Delete
  2. LMAO at Li Shang in an office suit. That cracks me up! I totally love this color, I think it looks quite nice on you! It's very office appropriate :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That macro is too hilarious NOT to share! Thank you. And yes, I see how it could be office appropriate. If this had been any lighter, it could have been part of OPI's NYC Ballet soft shades.

      Delete
  3. Whatever, I think it looks totally good on you. I am a huge devotee of blue greys (they match my dark circles) although it looks too clean to be called Barstool. Maybe if it was scented like BO and beer and remained sticky even after drying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This doesn't seem like a barstool-ish color to me, now that I think about it. Also, most of the barstools I've sat on were wooden, so ... huh?!

      Delete
    2. You are so lucky that you've never experienced the horror of a vinyl barstool.

      Delete
  4. Not a good look?! It's gorgeous on you! Now I'm sad there's no Urban Outfitters in Hongkers because I wannit. But I'm less sad because I roffled like mad at the macro. "We Are Men" is easily my favourite Mulan jam...unless you count the retro synth/drum machine riff when she's all chopping off her hair and reflecting in the sword because that scene is freaking awesome. But nowhere near as funny and it's crazy hard to sing.

    Oh, and? I'm tagging you for The Liebster Award because I spent way too much time reading your site last night and giggling my butt off. Sterling Meowlory Archer? Best. Name. EVAR. Wait, where was I? Right, award thing! If you want to check out more about the Liebster, you can see it here:
    http://didmynails.blogspot.com/2012/08/dotted-tan-and-site-awards.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks Elizabeth! Yeah, that's a good macro. I hadn't watched the movie in forever until sometime in May, and was surprised by how much I enjoyed it now (when I was in the prime target age, I wasn't totally down with this movie, haha).

      Sterling Meowlory and I thank you for the award! That's so nice of you. :)

      Delete
  5. I like this on you - not an agree here from me that this is a NAGL on you at all. However that said, I don't think this is all that unique a shade...pretty sure I have something from China Glaze that is close - maybe not in this sort of jelly-ish finish however. Don't have an UO for a good 250 miles of me and never have bought one of their polishes (yet).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I think the jelly finish makes it unique. I don't think you're missing too much by not having a UO nearby. I'm happy to have the one near me but I've only bought one article of clothing from there.

      Delete
  6. love that pic! lol, that IS my favorite song from Mulan! Loooove Barstool, I need to wear it again one of these days. Visit me soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know we are going to watch this movie once every quarter, right? Yeah. <3

      Delete
  7. I actually think this looks great on you! I haven't seen many gray jelly polishes before but this one is beautiful. I like all of the songs from Mulan but my favorite will always be Reflection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Melissa. I do think this one is beautiful ... but it would be more beautiful on someone else! Aw, "Reflection" is a good song. Sometimes it's my life, haha.

      Delete
  8. damn i need to check out uo cause i really love this color! and the fact that it's a jelly makes it even better :D
    my fam used to have a karaoke machine so i used to sing all the mulan songs allll the timee when i was younger LOL. this post brings me back! :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you do! :) I think it's an incredible polish, just not for me.

      HAHAHA all Asians are required to have karaoke machines! We do ... we still have one that gives a score, LOL.

      Delete

Thank you for checking out my little nail blog! I do read and appreciate your comments and/or feedback, although it might take me a few days to get back to you. Time-sensitive inquiries should be directed to my e-mail address (rachswatched@gmail).

Please be polite and respectful when responding to others' comments in a post; if you are rude, I will delete your comment and Hannibal Lecter will eat you. Please don't leave spam comments with blog links -- it's tacky and I don't do it. Neither should you.