Thursday, September 13, 2012

Belated birthday blue: butter LONDON Scouse ... and tits?

My 26th birthday was on Monday, the 10th. By no means was it THE ABSOLUTE BEST BIRTHDAY EVAR!!!!!1!, but I'm pretty convinced any birthday is better than my 23rd was. 23 was a bad, bad birthday -- but 24 sort of made up for it: I saw Liza "Sally Bowles/Lucille 2" Minnelli in concert, and then saw Garrison Keillor and the crew of "A Prairie Home Companion" on tour the night before.

I took the pictures for this post last week and originally hoped to have it written and posted on Monday, but my move got in the way. I had no time to write or draft anything, then my moving day arrived and things just snowballed after that, not unlike a game of Katamari Damacy. (Go play that shit. I never got very far with it, but it's great.) I opted not to bring my computer in the first round of the move, which ultimately didn't matter because our internet won't be set up until this weekend. So I made the executive decision to live my life, buy myself a few non-apartment gifts, and let BF take me to lunch ...



This is a pulled pork bbq sandwich with mac & cheese from one of my favorite downtown dives.
Feel free to judge my embarrassingly simple palate.
When I need comfort food, I do not seek out the food of my people. I seek out southern comfort food.


... and to Ikea, where I picked up a few little things I wanted, but not the big things I Really Needed. Had we known that Ikea was open until 9 p.m., I think we would have been able to sneak in a viewing of "Robot & Frank," which I've been dying to see for at least a month. We did watch "Bernie" the night before (it was great), and B DVRed the PBS "Great Performances" broadcast of the documentary "Wagner's Dream" for me. If you are an opera buff or a performing arts/staging enthusiast, this documentary is worth your time. Everything I know from watching opera broadcasts doesn't exactly make the content mind-blowing for me, but I love watching behind-the-scenes of telecasts and sometimes I miss working in that capacity.

Although I failed to get wasted, my birthday ended with a nightcap of burgers and this Paulaner weizen -- I walked into the bar at 11:55 p.m. This summer, I've come to the realization that I do love my weizens. Don't hate.




If you follow Stuff's Facebook page, I did tease you with the name and one picture of this polish. And if you saw that post, you'll know who is my preferred celebrity birthday twin: this fine actor in the foreground.



Confession: As much as I love British literary costume drama, I have never seen "Pride & Prejudice." But that is my least favorite of Jane's works, so I don't really care. "Persuasion" FTW.


Quite a few of my friends didn't care for "The King's Speech," but I love it. I've been watching it a lot lately. It's got so many of my favorite character actors, I love the themes, I love the depiction of the time period and broadcasting technology history, and last but not least ... royal corgis. You even get a bit of the Edward/Wallis scandal -- the very same Wallis who is the namesake of the butter LONDON shade.

According to the butter LONDON site, "scouse" is slang for a person from Liverpool. As far as I know, Colin Firth has never portrayed a Liverpudlian, nor does he seem to have any ~real affiliation with the place. The Wikipedia page for "scouse" is a pretty solid starting point if you're interested in looking for celebrities, bands or fictional characters from the Liverpool area. (elbee: Paul McGann is listed. I repeat: Paul McGann is listed!) Nothing I've read on the scouse page seems particularly complimentary, and I don't know what this color is supposed to represent. The footie? Hell if I know.




Three coats with SV. In my experience, SV is not the best top coat to use with butter LONDONs, so I'm wondering if using the bL Hardwear top coat makes a difference. If you use Hardwear, I'd love for you to weigh on this and tell a girl what's up.

Moar pictures:










When I saw Scouse on Sparkly Vernis, I knew it was going to be my birthday polish. This is described on the butter LONDON site as an indigo color, but I see it as royal blue with bits of dark cornflower and periwinkle in it too. It has a smoky, sheer bluish base, and the glass fleck shimmer particles reminded me of Orly Stone Cold mostly in size. In terms of color, this glass fleck is bombass. It's a duochrome, mostly blue/cornflower and sometimes faintly teal, though it gets a purple/violet and pink look around the edges of the nail in most lights. Other times it can gleam teal, but that's mostly in low or really bad incandescent lighting. I don't know if this is dupey to Orly Lunar Eclipse or Sally Hansen HD Laser because I don't own those, but I'm guessing those are a bit darker, and I hear the Orly has the superior formula.

The formula on this polish was ... confusing. Since it's got a sheer, smoky base, it's thin and sort of watery, so you're going to need at least three coats to get this nicely opaque. However, take care to wait between coats and spread the polish around evenly, else you will end up with some bald spots on the edges of the nail. Another word of warning: when you use this polish for a second manicure, the formula is a thick, lumpy BEAST that would benefit from thinner and patience. This dries to a smooth finish and I wore it for four days with SV. I did get some shrinkage and unsightly tip wear, but that's par for the course for me with SV and butter LONDON.

I don't know if Scouse is limited edition, but I DO know that it is a Dillard's exclusive and costs the usual $14 there. Scouse also is available for purchase from the butter LONDON site, but I'd recommend going to Dillard's if you have a store near you to avoid shipping costs on either site. I bought this at Dillard's at the end of last month. The story of how I came to buy it (and two other polishes) is a story for another day, but I can sum it up in two words: shame spiral.

If you're a blue lover, a butter LONDON collector, a lover of Liverpool and its people, or any combination of those things, then IMO, Scouse easily is worth the $14. I haven't decided whether I'm keeping it, although that depends largely on butter LONDON's Hardwear top coat and if I decide to get it, do you think it would be worth the cost? Do you think I included WAY too many links in this post? Do you have an awesome celebrity birthday twin?

I'm posting this and two more scheduled ones from my parents' house because I came back to pick up some more of my stuff. Doing my nails and blogging about them has been the last thing on my mind for the past few days (though buying polish definitely has not. I hauled like a madwoman). --Oddly enough, I'm OK with this, as there's something to be said for unplugging yourself for a little while. I'll use this time to concentrate on tidying the apartment, moving the rest of my things, eating healthier, focusing on my search for gainful employment, and plotting how to scratch items off my new 30 Before 30 list. (--Yup, I made one. How whitebread of me! I'll try to link back to it later, but essentially the concept stemmed from a former classmate's list, inspired by this post. I mean, if it doesn't work out, the worst thing that can happen = I made another list I didn't keep up with.)

I think what I'm really trying to say is that 26 will be an interesting year of growth for me, and also potentially for Stuff. So far, it's off to a good running start. I'll do my best to make it entertaining and worth the chronicling. And tits.***


-------

*** For reference, please see Colin Firth's epic rant (or .gifs of said epic rant) in "The King's Speech."

20 comments:

  1. SHUT THE FRONT DOOR DID I REALLY MISS YOUR BIRTHDAY?! Happy happy belated birthday my friend <3 That pulled pork and mac and cheese as well as Scouse are turning me into a drooling fool over here! Beautiful polish, beautiful sandwich!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LMFAO @ you. It was a Monday, so ... yeahhhhhh. Thank you! <3

      The sandwich is always wonderful. I'm convinced it solves problems.

      Delete
  2. Whoaaaa... I NEED this polish!!! Heading over to Dillard's tonight!!!!
    Happy belated B-day!!! And you really have to post your list!!!! I'm no before-30 spring chicken anymore, but maybe I'll come up with my own 40 before 40 list ? :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you get it?

      Thanks for the birthday wishes! I will see what I can do. And dude, it's all about making the milestone work for you -- you totally could do a 30 Before 40 if you wanted to! :)

      Delete
  3. Happy belated! Wow this polish is so awesome looking! Love the glass fleck shimmer particles and the duochromeness of it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jenn! <3 I'm excited to see more swatches of this pop up everywhere, LOL.

      Delete
  4. I'm glad you had a good (decent?) birthday and I'm glad you got to Ikea.

    Love The King's Speech. I say AND TITS regularly. This is why no one should ever let me out in public.

    That polish is BALLS OUT AWESOME. Needs it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Steff! <3 Ikea at 6-ish in the evening is like a freaking ghost town. But that means less people will scoff at you for rolling around on the showroom beds. :)

      It's okay. You should have heard me when I watched "Predator Raw" a couple of weeks before with B ... I was making jokes about fur burgers and pink tacos.

      I'm surprised, I thought you didn't like blues that much!

      Delete
  5. I NEED THAT SANDWICH IN MY LIFE AND STOMACH.

    Also, can't believe I forgot about your birthday because I TOTALLY WROTE IT DOWN.

    I loved The King's Speech, I love Colin Firth, and I love this nail polish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES YES YOU DO.

      And it is totally A-OKAY. It was a Monday! Also, we can celebrate my birthday any damn day you want because I luff you. :)

      I love corgis.

      Delete
  6. PAUL WHERE HE IS MINE I WILL FIGHT ANYONE.

    Do I see a hint of duochromeyness? Goshdarnit, I sure do love that color, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's more evident IRL. :D

      I AM SO READY FOR A HH REWATCH. YOU DON'T EVEN KNOW.

      Delete
  7. BEAUTIFUL and happy birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  8. HAPPY BIRTHDAY

    such a beautiful colour on you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kristy, my Aussie queen of red and purple! <3

      Delete
  9. I love this polish too, super uber gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Even if the formula was a pain the second time. :)

      Delete
  10. I am going to need to add this to my birthday color stash. Yay, September!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for checking out my little nail blog! I do read and appreciate your comments and/or feedback, although it might take me a few days to get back to you. Time-sensitive inquiries should be directed to my e-mail address (rachswatched@gmail).

Please be polite and respectful when responding to others' comments in a post; if you are rude, I will delete your comment and Hannibal Lecter will eat you. Please don't leave spam comments with blog links -- it's tacky and I don't do it. Neither should you.