Monday, September 3, 2012

Rescue Beauty Lounge Chinoise

Hope y'all in the U.S. are enjoying your Labor Day weekend! I wrote this post two weeks ago and I forgot about the holiday entirely -- between work, Family Birthday Week, my latest "shame spiral," job-hunting (which caused said "shame spiral") and my move on Friday, I've got a lot on my mind. Aaaaaaaanyway.

Last month, I added a poll widget to the blog asking y'all to help me choose among a red creme, a red shimmer, a red foil, and a red glass fleck. 80% of you voted for the red creme, so this post's for you!

The official description on the RBL site is as follows: Chinoise "makes your nails look as if they've been lacquered like a Chinese screen" and is dedicated to Diana Vreeland. Fashionista friends, please don't turn up your pretty noses at me for needing to ask myself, "Who is Diana Vreeland, again?"

And then I realized I HAD heard of Ms. Vreeland before. You know that scene in "To Wong Foo, Thanks For Everything, Julie Newmar" where Patrick Swayze's character, Vida Boheme, gifts the stuttering thrift store owner with a book? That book was Diana Vreeland's memoirs. So the good news is that if you also saw that movie, then you've also heard of Diana Vreeland (the "hats for career girls" quote? That's her, too). She was born into high society in Paris, and is mainly known for her work first as a columnist, then fashion editor for Harper's Bazaar before serving as Vogue's editor-in-chief for eight years until 1971.

Even then, I wasn't sure what red had to do with D.V., so I pulled up her Wikipedia page and discovered that she'd had one of her New York City apartments decorated entirely in red. She was famously quoted as saying, "I want this place to look like a garden, but a garden in hell." As the kids say these days, achievement unlocked.




All of this red also turns out to be very strawberry social.



So is this RBL shade as epic as its inspiration (D.V., that is)? Hells, YES.




Three coats with SV.












Noxie wants to know ...

(source)

(And LOL FOREVER @ Michael Vartan. He is beautiful, but he was unbearably boring on "Alias," sry2say.)


Everything everyone has said about this red is true. It is BOSS. If Chinoise were a fictional character, it would be the Dread Pirate Roberts (it takes no prisoners). The weekend I wore this, I started out feeling sickly, but this did help perk me up a little. This is a warmer red that looked a lot warmer on me in artificial light than it did with natural light.

The formula was excellent, too. It's got that jelly-creme texture, a wee bit squishy but also wonderfully opaque. Chinoise is perfectly pigmented and applies like butter. If you use a careful touch, you can get this on in one coat. I don't understand the fuss with one-coaters -- that's probably because I need at least two to get everything nice and even, and then three usually makes for wonderful color depth, hence my three-coater habit. Very minimal clean-up was needed, which is pretty liberating for a red. I don't know what it is about reds, but I can never do a clean-up-free manicure with one.

I'm not sure when Chinoise was originally released, but I vaguely remember word of its return back in Spring 2008. It is currently available on the RBL site for $18 (the link at the top of the post will take you to the page for Chinoise) and it is part of the core RBLs, two more of which I plan to share here next month. I know I paid full price for Chinoise in 2010, and if you're wondering whether it's worth the $18 ... I made you this thing.




Is Chinoise a must-have for your collection, or does this hot red leave you feeling cold? Have you been influenced by Diana Vreeland or any great woman of style? Who's your favorite character from "To Wong Foo"? It's hard for me to choose among Vida, Noxeema and ChiChi at any given moment, though Vida gives some of the best advice, IMO. I remember posting this particular Vida Boheme pearl of wisdom on Facebook on the day Patrick Swayze died:
"Now, you listen to your Auntie Vida. I want you to believe in yourself, imagine good things and moisturize. I cannot stress this enough."

I hate inspirational quotes and anything that masquerades as an inspirational quote (when people continue to post quotes on Facebook, it gets a bit trite) but these words absolutely are words to live by. To borrow from Noxeema Jackson, I think we'd all do well to make Hollywood wherever we're at. When you've got a red like Chinoise, you've got substance and style -- you're practically there.

16 comments:

  1. 1) Chinoise is MAJIKAL on you.
    2) Always buy all the RBL reds.

    I love that graphic :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha, I love your graph!!! It's funny, before I even got to it, I was looking at your pictures (which are gorgeous!!) and thinking to myself: "yeah, it's really pretty, but would I pay so much $$ for RBL while there are other dupes/similars out there??" And then you answered my question for me!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahaha. Be careful ... I can be an enabler sometimes!

      Thank you! <3

      Delete
  3. Annnnnnnnnnd this is why I love you. Most people would be like "omg here's an awesome red here's a bunch of pictures here's how it applied" but you actually explained the backstory behind the polish and it is way too awesome. A woman who decorated her abode entirely in red? Kickin' rad!! God I really need to watch To Wong Foo again...I know I watched it as a little kid and I loooooved that movie, but I for the life of me cannot remember any of it.

    Funnily enough, if I change it to any other amazing color, the answer would almost always be yes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment is why YOU ARE MY FAVORITE. I really didn't know a lot about her either, but now I'm curious to know more! The "Wong Foo" tie-in was a happy accident, LMAO.

      And I'm with you there. I seem to be especially immune to red cremes at the moment, however. Two years ago it would have been green, blue and purple cremes! WHO AM I.

      Delete
  4. I have been in love with red polish forever. I have pitched my stash and cleaned it out many times, but I will always carefully go through my reds, often keeping every one of the better brands because red always works, no matter the season. While formulas come and go, a red shimmer, a red cream always works. I am sporting red now on my toes as am sick of summer colors despite I have this month we are in now as the hottest of all months of the yr were I live. This is a pretty...and yes, I know of DV very well. She was a huge fashion influence when I was growing up as the print world started to make a huge difference on the industry and we saw the birth of the first true fashion top models (dare I say super models) in the 60's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have WAY too many reds in my stash, but they're just so classic, like you said. I think I'm going to have to read her memoirs this fall.

      Delete
  5. Hah, nice chart. And I do love this color. I just wish it loved me back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. Thanks, lady! I really hope you find your winning RBL base/top coat combo soon.

      Delete
  6. Great post! To Wong Foo is one of my fave movies, love the quotes! Especially, "I want you to believe in yourself, imagine good things and moisturize. I cannot stress this enough" I feel like I should start saying that to people at work :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOLOLOL thanks, T! I think you should. I would buy things from a person who gave me this sage advice.

      Delete
  7. I really like this on you. I've been debating getting this, but I plan on making an RBL order soon so I think it HAS to go in my cart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah! To me, this one is worth the splurge.

      Delete
  8. I love the chart and forgives for the disparaging Varty comments. I take Varty no matter how I can get him; the good, the bad, and the worst.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was kind of a dead weight after a while. But to be fair ... an extremely good-looking dead weight!

      Delete

Thank you for checking out my little nail blog! I do read and appreciate your comments and/or feedback, although it might take me a few days to get back to you. Time-sensitive inquiries should be directed to my e-mail address (rachswatched@gmail).

Please be polite and respectful when responding to others' comments in a post; if you are rude, I will delete your comment and Hannibal Lecter will eat you. Please don't leave spam comments with blog links -- it's tacky and I don't do it. Neither should you.