Monday, September 17, 2012

Skinny Dipping (With Friends): Rescue Beauty Lounge Grunge

Welcome to the second edition of Skinny Dipping (With Friends)! Of course I'm not talking about just any friend, but Anna, the business lady behind Business Lady Polish. This post is technically our second coordinated monthly nude polish feature, but this is the first one with an official name, so ... yeah.

As usual, I was unsure which polish I wanted to wear so she stepped in and chose for me.

GOOD JOB, BB.




Three coats with SV.












I don't purport to speak for all Asian girls, but I know for a fact that one of the most challenging beauty issues for us is finding the perfect foundation shade. I swear, nothing stateside is made for us. Likewise, finding the perfect nude polish is equally annoying as fuck. (Also, the fact that RBL creator Ji Baek is Korean isn't lost on me, though I think I might be a bit darker than she is.) There is no way for me to sugar coat this, so how does Grunge stack up?

Pretty well, actually! I have a hard time wearing pink- and lilac-tinged nudes, which is why I kept OPI Tickle My France-y but got rid of OPI Barefoot in Barcelona. Grunge falls in with that same color family, yet for some reason, it works beautifully. It also has a very faint silver shimmer that doesn't show up in most lights, so it's practically a creme to me. Grunge is hardly a unique color by today's standards, but in 2008/2009, it was a fairly big deal.

The formula on this polish was good, but certainly not $18 good.*** Let me clarify: It was not as easy to work with as RBL Chinoise was, but it was worlds better than RBL Faraway. Two coats of Grunge is all you need for opacity; it levels out and dries quickly with SV. I remember when I was getting into polish, Grunge and OPI Tickle My France-y garnered many comparisons. I don't have my bottle of TMF right now because of my move so I can't compare it, and while I love both Grunge and TMF, I think Grunge dried faster, required fewer coats and had the better formula. Also, there's the subtle shimmer of Grunge vs. TMF's creme finish, but Grunge might as well be a creme. I haven't tried any of the Zoya Touch collection, but the idea is the same as Grunge, only with a more visible pearly shimmer. --Again, this is just my $0.02. You might find that your bottle has a perfect formula or that the color pulls differently on you.

Grunge is currently sold out on the RBL site, but according to this official RBL post, it should be returning sometime this month along with Coral and Moulin Rouge. These three polishes along with Chinoise (which I posted here) and Plié‚ make up RBL's core collection.

I bought Grunge in February of last year when I preordered RBL Recherché. I can't remember why I purchased Grunge specifically at that time, but I'm really glad I have it. Even my mother complimented me on it, which is a huge deal. I can see it as a killer pedi shade for me since my feet tend to be redder than my hands, so I can't wait to try that.

Even if this polish had been a flop, I'd still be intrigued by the name. Anna and I had a conversation on the phone last week, one of our many subtopics being The Music of Our Childhoods. Although I was born in the mid-to-late '80s, it's obvious that I'm 100% a child of the early-to-mid '90s. For some reason, some of the rock genres and sounds of that time are really comforting to me, despite the fact that I didn't truly listen to them until '97. One such musical movement of my childhood was grunge, and two of the biggest grunge bands to me were Pearl Jam and Nirvana. Both "Ten" and "Nevermind" are spectacular albums (I haven't listened to the legacy edition of "Ten" ... I really need to get on that). Here's one of my favorite grunge songs, which also is one of my favorite songs to play on Rock Band.

I need you to know that my ex-roommate and I named our band "Army of Skanks." Up top.




Do you have any feelings about Grunge, the polish and/or the genre? Any Asian girls care to share their foundation and/or nude polish frustrations? What about your Rock Band band names? I hope you're enjoying Skinny Dipping as much as Anna and I enjoy planning and writing it! Should she/I/we establish a more consistent blogging rhythm, I'm open to the possibility of this becoming a bimonthly feature -- what do you think?


-------

*** When you are a frustrated Asian girl looking for your perfect nude polish, you will try almost anything ... and that includes $18 anythings.

18 comments:

  1. Ummmm yes, I love a bimonthly feature idea.

    Also, I LOVE Grunge on you. Love love love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grunge is one RBL polish I'll probably never gripe about. It was one of the first two I ordered (the other being Drifter) back when I was a polish noob [still feel like one]. I love it because on me it pulls a little bit purple (so does TMF), and it looks kind of edgy. But I'm basically an albino, so there's that.

    I love your features with Anna :) keep 'em comin'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh God, Drifter is so gorgeous and wonderful, but there's something about a great nude polish that will pull every look together, and just ... I love this one. Thanks, lady!

      Delete
  3. Grunge is absolutely gorgeous on you! I can't bring myself to buy RBL's anymore so I'll forever be on the lookout of a dupe for this one. Also, this child of the 90's is a huge fan of grunge, from plaid shirts to Nirvana to combat boots, I'm in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. <3 LOL, Nirvana shirts UNDER plaid shirts ... also, Walkmans. Yeahhhhhh.

      Delete
  4. Grunge looks perfect on you! I'd love to see these type of posts more frequently. I'm always on the lookout for a good nude for my Asian skin tone =P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jennifer! :) GAH. Asian skin tones are ridonculous. We come in so many shades of brown and yellow!

      Delete
  5. I really love this nude but even if the formula was "$18 good," I still wouldn't get it. There are a number of RBLs on my wish list but the price keeps me away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to be like you. LOL, I have no idea what changed, but I figured if I hated it, it would be an easy swap!

      Delete
  6. My favorite RBL nude is Jane...well worth the $18. I can't wait until Opaque Nude is re-released!!!

    As for Asian foundations...now that I don't spend all day baking at work, now I'm way too light for my MUFE HD 173. I'm thinking about getting NARS Tahoe next.

    The music of my childhood is mid-1990s R&B. My first two albums were Boyz II Men's II and TLC's CrazySexyCool...fuck yeah!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMFG OPAQUE NUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUDE

      LMFAO "On Bended Knee" makes me laugh just about as much as "I'll Make Love to You" ... WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME, JANICE?!?!

      Delete
  7. I love this on you! Not sure I could pull it off personally but it really looks fab on you. I dig "Drain You" but I think my favorite song off Nevermind is "Lithium"--tough choice though! If you're looking for a good foundation for Asian gals, I recently ordered a Korean BB cream off Ebay for only about $13 total. It's called Holika Holika Peach Girl BB Cream and it gives very buildable coverage that still feels and looks lightweight. It comes in two shades and I got the lightest one. I'm not Asian but judging by your pics we seem to be about the same skintone. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Chelsea! Ooh yeah ... that ENTIRE CD is so hard to choose from. I'm not sure if that's my favorite favorite song, but it's one of my faves on Rock Band. :)

      Also, thank you for the BB cream rec! I don't wear BB creams (to be fair, I don't wear anything more than chapstick), but I'm going to investigate anyway. Never would have thought of that brand, or eBay, even!!!

      Delete
  8. This is GORGEBALLS on you! Tickle My France-y is too pink for my taste, but Grunge is so pretty I can't even stand it. That little hint of shimmer is just perfect, too. :D

    Ten is one of the best. albums. EVAR.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Elizabeth! I love them both. I'm not sure which one I'd keep if I had to get rid of one. Hopefully I won't have to find out!

      I really need to get on that legacy edition.

      Delete
  9. I just wanted to say your haiku for the Polish Addict's giveaway was hilarious- I loved it! Great swatches as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I'm STILL excited I won!!!

      Delete

Thank you for checking out my little nail blog! I do read and appreciate your comments and/or feedback, although it might take me a few days to get back to you. Time-sensitive inquiries should be directed to my e-mail address (rachswatched@gmail).

Please be polite and respectful when responding to others' comments in a post; if you are rude, I will delete your comment and Hannibal Lecter will eat you. Please don't leave spam comments with blog links -- it's tacky and I don't do it. Neither should you.