Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Tsaketa!: "Bitchin' Kitchen"-inspired skittles

This summer, I became addicted to "Bitchin' Kitchen." It started when a former coworker of mine and BF's recommended watching "The Culinary Adventures of Baron Ambrosia" on the Cooking Channel because he (our former coworker) knew some people who had worked on it. (To me, "Baron Ambrosia" is what would happen if "Good Eats" and those other food shows that tour America's best hole-in-the-walls dropped some acid and had a baby.) While waiting for the Baron to air, "Bitchin' Kitchen" happened to be on. Although I don't remember the name of the BK episode airing that night, I do remember the episode that got me hooked a month or so later: "Anxiety Soups." My friend Krysi, BF and I were standing around playing with Sterling Meowlory Archer or something with the TV on when all of a sudden, host Nadia Giosia cracked a joke about using diazepam as a soup ingredient, and we all lost it.

After that, I pretty much begged BF to DVR "Bitchin' Kitchen" for us me. It's since become appointment DVR television at his house.

Some background on "Bitchin' Kitchen": It's a half-hour show that began as a web series before airing on Food Network Canada and now the Cooking Channel. Every episode features dishes (and sometimes cocktails) inspired by a theme. In addition to manning the kitchen in heels, a pristine manicure, wild accessories and her strange accent, Nadia is joined by her three "food correspondents": The Spice Agent (spices), Panos (meat & fish), and Hans (shirtless health buff). BK is part cooking show, part stand-up, and in my eyes, entirely awesome.

Here's a little sample of the show for you:



She's no Giada, that's for damn sure ... but that's totally OK with me!


NOW. I can see how this could grate on one's nerves, especially if one is a legit foodie and has a more refined, Frasier Crane palate and sense of humor than what's seen on the show. I am not a foodie in the least (though I'm very discerning about gas station gourmet and fresh fruit) and it doesn't take much to make me laugh. My first impression of BK was roughly "What is that accent!? It looks like Ed Hardy threw up on the kitchen! What is she wearing AND OH MY GOD IS THAT A BABY DOLL HEAD."  The good news, should you decide to continue watching this show, is that you get used to it. (BTW, her accent? I'm pretty sure that's not real.)

I have yet to try out one of Nadia's recipes. HOWEVER, today I thought I would attempt an approximate recreation of the skittle manicure she wore during the "Depression Desserts" episode. The current season of the BK started a few weeks ago, but as I obviously dropped the ball re: Stuff, this unofficial TV week seemed like a good fit.

Note: While these are the colors Nadia used for her skittle manicure, they're definitely not the exact polishes. I also don't remember whether the middle and ring fingers are correct, but "Depression Desserts" reruns today, so perhaps someone can set me right before I go to BF's house and watch it this weekend. There is a "Rock This Look" section on the BK site, and the polishes are listed as American Apparels, but with my stash being in two cities, I used what I had on hand at my parents' house.

Here's your bitchin' bottle shot.




L-R, here are the polishes I used:
  • MAC Obey Me
  • Orly Beach Cruiser
  • Sally Hansen Complete Salon Manicure Cherry, Cherry, Bang, Bang!
  • Zoya Malia
  • China Glaze First Mate







 

This also got BF's seal of approval -- while completely unnecessary as a BF, it was completely necessary as another lover of "Bitchin' Kitchen." I actually love skittle manicures but I haven't felt like doing one in a long time, and I would wear this combination again!

I apologize if Orly Beach Cruiser is wildly misrepresented in these photos. It's everything I wanted Orly Va Va Voom to be, and right now it's my perfect pink neon. On the other hand, Zoya Malia looks perfect in my photos -- a rarity for any purple shade (confession: that's partially why I haven't shown much purple on Stuff lately). I'm not sure if the pink was a neon, and feel like RBL Chinoise would have been a better pick for red just as OPI Dating a Royal would have been a better blue, but I'm nitpicking at this point.

All of these polishes were really easy to use, and with the exception of Beach Cruiser, nicely opaque in two coats. I used SV on everything except Zoya Malia, and it held up pretty well for a day.

Did you find these skittles to be bitchin'? Would you start watching "Bitchin' Kitchen," or do you think it would be an affront to your eyes, ears and taste buds? I love the show, but again, it was kind of a slow burn for me. All its elements are so ridiculous and yet they work so well together ... just like this manicure. (P.S. I'll let you know when I try one of the show's recipes. I have my eye on the fettuccine with salsiccia and brisket sauce ...) Here in the U.S., "Bitchin' Kitchen" airs on the Cooking Channel on Wednesday nights at 10 p.m. ET.

Since I can't seem to promise anything exactly any more, I'll just say that I have another TV-coordinated post at some time tomorrrow. So I'll bid you goodbye as Nadia does at the end of each show and say alla prossima!

14 comments:

  1. I want Skittles. I think I may be hungry. I think she is quite funny but I don't watch all the time. What I really want is those that knuckle meat pounder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cackled when I got this comment. That knuckle meat pounder is the business ... I want one, too!

      Delete
  2. Bahaha, I remember when this show first debuted on Food Network Canada- I was all "What am I watching?!", but then kept watching, and it was pretty awesome. I'm totally peeved that Food Network Canada no longer plays cooking shows, though. Seriously. With the exception of a few hours in the early morning, they only play those reality-TV-based cooking challenges, or the touring around eating at different restaurants shows. Major disappointment to me, because all I wanna do is watching a half hour cooking show of one host making something tasty from beginning to end. I'm bitter, can you tell?

    Anyways: awesome post, awesome manicure, awesome blog, can't wait to see what you post about next! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's okay, Food Network USA barely plays legit cooking shows. BARELY. How many freaking cupcake challenges does one need?!? I went through college watching "Iron Chef America" and "Good Eats." I completely understand your wish to watch someone make an entire meal ... I think "Ten Dollar Dinners" fills that spot for me when I can catch it. I like Melissa d'Arabian. Anyway.

      Thanks so much! I appreciate that, and I'm so glad someone else got this post! <3

      Delete
  3. I was so extremely obsessed with BK, but slowly that started to fade. I did make BF buy me one of her cookbooks. It a wonderful thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My friend's fiance bought her a cookbook, too! Did you make anything out of it? So curious ...

      Delete
  4. Nice skittles! you have such perfect nails

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like the colours together! And aaugh, I'm so jealous you got the =W= red. I wanted every single one of those but had to settle for the blue. The blue is *awesome* of course, but I wanted ALL THE =W=!

    "...and there were no peaches."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Elizabeth! I was wondering if the combination would fall flat on me IRL or look too "busy," but I found that I liked it a LOT! I really would wear this again.

      :( That red is now in the MAC core line, but sadly, without the awesome =W= box. I hope you're able to get your hands on it someday!

      Delete
  6. Cute skittles and love the inspiration behind it! I am what I like to call "domestically challenged," so I don't cook--more so out of laziness than lack of cooking ability, I guess--but I do enjoy catching episodes of BK! Her heels are always killer and her food looks yummy, plus I dig the show's whole vibe. Almost makes me want to try cooking...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, thanks, Chelsea! Oh, you sound just like me LOL -- I will do the dishes if you cook -- but at 26, I've reached the point where I don't think I can take eating out all the time (and neither can my wallet). So I'm open to just about anything that will make me want to give cooking a try. :)

      Delete
  7. I have been addicted to BItchin Kitchen since she started-I just LOVE the shoe shots they do in each episode. I just love her. She has new tattoos on her arms-one says "stay Hungry" the cooking channels mantra. And I love Hans and his muscles!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure who makes me laugh the most among those three guys, but I love Hans and every time he says, "Miss G."

      Delete

Thank you for checking out my little nail blog! I do read and appreciate your comments and/or feedback, although it might take me a few days to get back to you. Time-sensitive inquiries should be directed to my e-mail address (rachswatched@gmail).

Please be polite and respectful when responding to others' comments in a post; if you are rude, I will delete your comment and Hannibal Lecter will eat you. Please don't leave spam comments with blog links -- it's tacky and I don't do it. Neither should you.