Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Oh my God, Chanel Mimosa

Sorry about the late post today. I deposited my parents off at the airport EARLYYYYY this morning, then waited for my breakfast bacon, egg and cheese biscuit to settle before I passed out again. --Note to self: Don't repeat the mistake of watching the BBC's 2005 production of "Bleak House" before you go to bed or you will dream that Mr. Skimpole (a.k.a. Inspector Lynley) is a vampire demon out to get you and you have to seek Paul Bettany's protection, except Paul Bettany looked exactly like he did in "Legion." That dream was so fucked up. (Dear My Sister, if you are reading this right now, CALL ME.)

ANYWAY.

"Happy Endings" returns tonight for its third season at 9/8c on ABC. I mean, how can you love cheesesteaks as much as I do and NOT love a show with a food truck called Steak Me Home Tonight?

Other reasons to love "Happy Endings":
  • the entire cast is awesome. I could not with Elisha Cuthbert on "24," but I LOVE her on this show. Also, this is the best thing to happen to Casey Wilson after her unceremonious dismissal from "SNL"
  • I wish I had my own Brad
  • seriously awesome guest stars
  • random awesome: actor Zachary Knighton attended my alma mater. Now I do not know if he graduated, but still. I'll take it
  • it's EXTREMELY quotable (very important for any show purporting to be a sitcom)
  • the female characters wear nice polish colors (Jane's are the most interesting)

The show garners the most comparisons to "Friends" (six white people doing "wacky" stuff; Brad is a wild card LOL) but that comparison does nothing for me because I am a ~special flower~ and didn't like "Friends" even back in the '90s when it was a thing (sure I watched it, but I didn't LIKE it). Don't judge me for linking to Vulture, but you NEED to see this chart (judge me when I start linking to Slate). I'm pretty sure none of those other shows are on any more, so now you have an idea which show had lasting power. ;) It had some awkward growing pains in the first season, but it was nothing as awkward as "Parks and Recreation" (which is currently in its prime, thank you).

The gang is often seen at brunch, and if you run a search for .gifs on Tumblr, you can see the mimosas. I love mimosas, but unfortunately the following is not true for me after I've had one too many:




No, when I got drunk I was really into drunk texting and dialing and cleaning kitchens. Now I tend to eat drunk McDonald's, and it's more "buzzed McDonald's" because it's kind of hard to get drunk when you have a drive home ahead of you, whether it's 20 minutes or two hours away.

Bottom line: Is Chanel Mimosa as AH-MAH-ZING as Penny and Alex's drunk powers?




Four coats with Cult Nails Wicked Fast.









At first I thought Mimosa would be a little darker than lemon yellow, but that's only in artificial light. The sun turns it into a classic bright, sparkling mimosa color and you can see the shimmer, which is typical Chanel and therefore very fine and not so visible. It's PERFECT.

Formula- and application-wise, it's a bit of work ... but LBR, isn't every yellow? I didn't think it was THAT bad. Three coats will get it nice and opaque, though I had a few bald spots because I was applying quite hastily, hence four coats. My bottle of Poshe is dying a ded so I had to use Wicked Fast (SV shrinks my Chanels a bit). I only wore Mimosa for one day, so I have no idea how it would have worn with this Chanel -- I'll have to do a wear test and report back to you!

Mimosa was from Summer 2011's Les Fleurs D'été collection and is still available for $26.00 USD on the Chanel site. I remember buying this at my Nordstrom counter last year maybe a month or so after it was released, and I asked some local friends on the MUA nail board if it would be HTF at that point. One girl (hi, Jennie!) said our counter had plenty left -- in our area, a Chanel yellow was not nearly as sought after as Morning Rose and Beige Petale ... but what can you expect from an OPI town? (My friend Lizzard pointed out that it would be nice for us to be an Essie town ... OPI was my first love but Essie is just as worthy of adoration, if not more.) Revlon Top Speed Electric is supposed to be a close dupe, so keep that in mind if you're not into buying polishes for names or buying Chanel.

Mimosa: Great on the nails, or only for Sunday brunch? Did you snag any of the other two Les Fleurs polishes? If you're a fellow "Happy Endings" fan, are you excited for this new season (DRAMAAAAAAA)? Who's your favorite character? I can't wait. I was planning to have taco salad, but I think I might need to go get a cheesesteak for dinner ...

Tomorrow, I'll have yet another TV-related post! It WILL be on time, I swear.

23 comments:

  1. LOVE the polish!! Such a fun color!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure it was worth the price tag, but it IS really fun. Thanks, Courtney!

      Delete
  2. Wow, that really is a big shift from artificial to sunlight, but either way it's gorgeous!

    I've never even heard of "Happy Endings" before (what with living across the ocean and all), but I'll definitely check it out. And I'm glad to hear Parks & Rec gets better too--I'd heard so many awesome things about it, but then when I watched the first ep or two I was just all eeeeeeeeeeehhh with the awkwardness. I'll give it another try!

    Dammit, now I want a cheesesteak.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so weird how it's all buttery in the sunlight, then lemony in artificial. :/ At least it looks good on me!

      I'm with you on "Parks & Rec" but I'm glad I caught up! It hits so many marks these days, it's ridiculous. "Happy Endings" is worth looking into, but not sure how you would go about it in HK! :(

      I want a cheesesteak too. I ate so many of those things in college.

      Delete
  3. I love Happy Endings!! I'm so excited for the premiere tonight! My favourite character changes every episode, but it's usually never Dave, haha :D
    I love Mimosa too, such a fun and happy yellow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LMAO, hi are you me??? My favorite Dave moments are (1) whenever he sings "Closer to Fine" to himself, and (2) that time he found out he was 1/16th Navajo.

      I'm so glad I have this polish! :)

      Delete
  4. Mimosa looks perf on you. I am all about Chanel dupes so I love Revlon electric. I am also all about mimosas, or, as we drink in my house, Miller Light (the champagne of beers) mixed with dollar store orange juice. Maybe I should start watching Happy Endings?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I picked up that Revlon when it was on clearance but I haven't tried it yet. Not sure which wears better/worse on me between Revlon and Chanel, so we'll see.

      DEAD @ your Miller comment.

      I think it has elements you'd find enjoyable and moments you'd find worthy of reblogging, if that means anything.

      Delete
  5. LOL...and OPI town, an Essie town! I would just love to have enough of any polish line available where I live to call my town out with a polish company bias! I have to drive 65 miles to even get to the only beauty supply in the entire HUGE county that has OPI. We have no where for over 400 miles that carries all of the Essie colors (meaning the pro and regular retail shades). I have often thought about Mimosa since it came out - but did not pick it up because I have soooo much trouble wearing yellows. I have picked up so many with major fails. I do have Morning Rose however and never then used it! Have not seen Happy Endings - will have to look and see when it's on where I live. Like Elizabeth, have not heard of it until now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't even remember what Morning Rose looks like ... I had to Google it tbh! And it's on ABC on Tuesday nights, if that helps.

      Delete
  6. I love Happy Endings and Cheese steaks and now I have a craving for both, damn you Rach! I think Chanel's Mimosa would pair well with Whimsical Ideas by Pam's Super Hero.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to Google that polish, but you're totally right! That would be a great pairing. :)

      We need to go get cheesesteaks sometime!

      Delete
  7. I love the subtle shimmer in this- so pretty! :D I'm a sucker for a nice yellow, and if I ever come across this one, it'll be coming home with me. Wish there was a more accessible dupe for this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS: Haha, after re-reading I saw your comment at the end about Revlon Electric- I'll have a look for that one, although I have to admit, I'm one of those suckers who thinks a polish is more special because of the bottle it comes in. I know. *sigh*

      Delete
    2. I'm not gonna judge you for being a bottle snob at all. It's gotten to the point where I prefer the NOPI bottle to the Revlon one, but I think I just get better wear out of NOPIs. :)

      A good yellow is so dang hard to find!

      Delete
  8. Love this polish and I love that show! They are so over the top.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Thanks, Lakeisha! :) Did you see their Halloween costume this year? I died.

      Delete
  9. This is one gorgeous yellow-I am loving that shimmer. And the best cheesesteaks where I live come from Jersey Mike's-now I'm craving one-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not a snob, but ugh, we had a Jersey Mike's on campus and that place was wayyyyy too overpriced. I got spoiled by living near two really amazing Italian places in college, so I tend to skip cheesesteaks at chain restaurants because those are disappointing in comparison to what I know.

      Delete
  10. This polish is gorgeous! Very pretty! I've never watched Happy Endings before, but it looks pretty good! I'm always on the lookout for new shows to watch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jennifer! It's really funny ... some of the creative team came from "Scrubs," if that gives you a reference. :)

      Delete

Thank you for checking out my little nail blog! I do read and appreciate your comments and/or feedback, although it might take me a few days to get back to you. Time-sensitive inquiries should be directed to my e-mail address (rachswatched@gmail).

Please be polite and respectful when responding to others' comments in a post; if you are rude, I will delete your comment and Hannibal Lecter will eat you. Please don't leave spam comments with blog links -- it's tacky and I don't do it. Neither should you.