Monday, October 1, 2012

CHI Sultry Nights

Between the writing in this post and the pictures you're about to see, you can tell I haven't blogged in a while. Forgive me?


Imagine you're playing Jeopardy (Celebrity, College, All-Stars, regular, whatever you like) and you're answering this question to retain the lead in this round of the competition. For 500 points, think about what the following items have in common.

  • ballet flats
  • sheer patterned stockings
  • blackened shimmer nail polishes

Give up?

Alex, what are "things Rach tries to wear in spite of the fact that they are NAGL on her?"

I can't do ballet flats (my boat feet usually are too wide) or the stockings (my right leg is bigger than my left one, so the patterns look jacked up on that leg), and up until this point, the only blackened shimmer I've truly loved was Savvy Femme Couture Garland (for reference, please see Scrangie's post).

The only explanation I have for buying this last year was most likely the clearance sticker at Ulta. Also, I have no idea why this polish was not a good time to photograph. I know I'm out of practice, but damn.




Three coats with a dying bottle of SV.








Sultry Nights is a gorrrrrrgeous deep teal blackened shimmer. It's not so glowy in natural light for some reason, but it's great in low artificial light. I actually liked this more than China Glaze Little Drummer Boy (which is more deep blue, less teal), despite my disappointment with the wear.

This polish has been sitting around for a good year or so (and who knows how long it was languishing before I bought it last year), and there was a little bit of separation. It was nothing a good roll of the bottle didn't fix, and it applied REALLY well after that. Two coats would have been enough. However, this shrunk quicker than a straight guy unsuccessfully trying to pick up girls at a drag bar, and it chipped after the first day of wear. I kept this on for something like three or four days, though, because I was moving Carload No. 2 and I didn't have time to be vain.

CHI nail polishes seem to be discontinued, for the most part. I used to see collections pop up at Ulta, and I have no idea when Ulta stopped selling them. The CHI site has a really sad page of polish colors, but nails aren't exactly the company's endgame, so it's not THAT sad. (Or is it?)

I'll hang on to Sultry Nights until I find a blackened teal with better wear. Any suggestions? Do you have any other CHI polishes? Is there a polish or a certain article/style of clothing you keep attempting to wear, although you know better? Why is it so freaking difficult to let go of ideas that simply don't and WON'T work? --Interpret that last question as existentially as you like. At least we can agree that "Jeopardy" is pretty damn great!

12 comments:

  1. I like it! I have Little Drummer Boy too, but that one's a bit of a PITA despite the opacity. Maybe try Barielle Blackened Bleu? It's not quite so teal, and the shimmer particles are much bigger, but it looks really cool layered over black.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Naz! I can't remember why I wasn't super into LDB ... I've hung on to it for a while so I'm giving it one last shot. I'll have to look into the Barielle if this NOPI from the Gossip Girl set doesn't do it for me!

      Delete
  2. I think this looks fantastic on you!! I have never tried any Chi polishes and I guess I probably won't get the chance now that they seem to be fading away. Bummer that it chipped so quickly though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jacqui! :) I'm sure you could find them on blog sales. Yeah, that chipping was sad panda. I guess this would be fine if you needed a polish to wear for an evening out.

      Delete
  3. I've never tried Chi polishes, but this is a real nice shade. It doesn't seem to be too dark that it's black, which I always hate about some polishes. I really like it and need to find a polish similar to this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jennifer, I'll let you know if I find something similar!

      Delete
  4. NAGL? Not sure I know what that means-but I do love this color-I have Drummer Boy and should probably drag that back out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NAGL = not a good look. I think you may have to just Urban Dictionary every other thing I say at this point!

      Delete
  5. Beautiful polish and a cool name!! Never heard of CHI polishes though!! Love your comparison of shrinkage to a man LOLOL :)))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gosia! You probably haven't heard of CHI polishes because they've been discontinued. There was a really popular shade called In Between the Sheets back in 2010, which I have yet to try or swatch, but you can do a search for it.

      But no really ... I don't understand what that's about. Why do they go there!?!

      Delete
  6. I'm not a fan of blackened polishes, either. Have you tried Ulta Underground? I wore it recently & didn't care for the color, but it wore well. it's in my purge pile now

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, I have not -- I do remember when it came out in the Glam Goth set, but most of the reviews I read for Underground were basically "take it or leave it." They said the same thing you did. Ulta polishes generally wear well on me, too!

      Delete

Thank you for checking out my little nail blog! I do read and appreciate your comments and/or feedback, although it might take me a few days to get back to you. Time-sensitive inquiries should be directed to my e-mail address (rachswatched@gmail).

Please be polite and respectful when responding to others' comments in a post; if you are rude, I will delete your comment and Hannibal Lecter will eat you. Please don't leave spam comments with blog links -- it's tacky and I don't do it. Neither should you.