Friday, October 12, 2012

Fug Friday: StrangeBeautiful "Cheap foundation" (Vol. 4)

Fug Friday is a new feature dreamed up on Twitter with gal pal Jacqui of The Scholarly Nail, who shares my penchant for '90s nostalgia, live tweeting TV shows and fugly polishes. Who will out-fug the other? How many Fridays can we possibly keep this going? More importantly, which one of us will break down and order BB Couture Anal Probe? Only one way to find out: keep reading!

Welcome to the first edition of Fug Friday! This all began when Jacqui posted swatches of "Fugly Cremes" during Vintage Hard Candy Week on her blog last month. She tweeted her surprise at the huge response that post elicited, to which I replied I'd join her in a Fug Friday if she started one. And here we are.

Of course, we had three key considerations to make after that.
  1. What constitutes "fug"? Answer: If it looks like the color of a bodily secretion, then it is fug.
  2. Is layering allowed, or are we simply swatching ONE polish? Answer: Basic swatching. A polish needs to look pretty fug on its own without enhancement from another product.
  3. How often do we want to do this? Answer: TBD ...

Two-thirds of my stash are still at my parents' house, so I dug deep into those remaining Helmer drawers to find something for today's debut and came up with this StrangeBeautiful gem from 2010. StrangeBeautiful creator Jane Schlub takes the inspirations for her "color libraries" from just about anything. Supposedly, this particular polish is said to represent "a very wrong color choice of cheap foundation." I don't wear make-up (I'm naturally beautiful LAZY) but I know enough about foundation to agree that this is the perfect description.




Three coats with SV.









I'm tagging this color as "camel/tan" and "butterscotch/caramel" because that's what it's like to me. It is more demure and yellow than OPI Ginger Bells, which is the closest thing I have to it. (I honestly could see this being an Essie polish, though. Anyone else?) Strangely enough, this polish does not blend into my skin tone and is quite flattering, and I really, really like it! I don't think this tone would be wearable for most people, so I'm going to capitalize on that. ;)

The finish was jelly-creme in texture to me. Two coats are all you need, but ... compulsive three-coater over here. It's quite glossy even without top coat. I took this off after swatching it but I'm dying to break it out again.

I purchased my StrangeBeautiful Vol. 4 set in Spring 2010 from LuckyScent.com for ... was it $75 or $85 at the time? Right now, this set is unavailable -- is it sold out or discontinued? I have no idea. There are eight polishes in the set, all B3F, and this color is the third one I've tried out of the eight. (I KNOW. Bad Rachel.) But these are the pictures that prompted me to throw down for Vol. 4! Just the right blend of gorgeous and weird, no? I can't decide how I feel about the lack of ~official~ names for StrangeBeautiful polishes. Is it more artistic that way? There's no master list or anything, just some vague color descriptions people copied from the sale item page, so you have to do a little bit of Google sleuthing.

Although it took me forever to wear this polish, I can see myself rewearing it, and I have Fug Friday to thank! Who knows how much longer I would have waited to try this? I think it would look smashing against a navy, dark purple or indigo cardigan or mock T.

So, "cheap foundation" ... fugged up enough for ya? Head over to Jacqui's blog, The Scholarly Nail, to find out what she has for us today! I'm sure it'll be disgusting AND AWESOME.

Thank you for reading. I hope this post will be the most fugged up thing about your Friday!

23 comments:

  1. YESSSSS! So exciting! This is the perfect color to begin our Fug Friday series. I have been lusting over strangebeautiful polishes for so long, but I just couldn't bring myself to shell out almost $90 for the set, but you've inspired me! I have been eyeing their Camo set for awhile (which is chock full of uggo colors) so I think I will treat myself to it! This cheap foundation color is fug perfection. I love the inspiration behind their colors, although I think I draw the line at the menstrual blood one lol. Anyways, I love the butterscotchy-baby poop shade of this polish. It looks fabulously fug on you dahling!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Menstrual blood LOL so funny and GROSS!!! :))

      Delete
  2. Hahaha like I already told Jacqui, I LOVE this idea of fugged Fridays!!! And I actually do like this polish!! I think it would look good on me based on your swatches!!! I see what you mean about it going either way though!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Gosia! It's a tricksy one, this is.

      Delete
  3. Ha, ok. I like it. BUT it also looks like a salad dressing my grandpa would use. Innnn a good way..?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LMFAO, this is probably my favorite comment in the whole post. A+ for you!

      Delete
  4. Love this shade even if it is a Fug! I really love these shades - carmel - like this better than OPI And Apple Pie/Ginger Bells. And yes, totaly can see this as coming from Essie - was surprised last fall 2011 there was not a British Tan Leather shade in their 'purse' collection - I needed a shade like this from them. Desert Sun from ChG did not quite make it into the Carmel/British Tan color I covet. I have none of this brand and from Jacqui's comment - ouch not going to be getting any if I have to shell out $90 for a full set!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES, this is exactly how I felt about their Fall 2011 collection. I adore Case Study, but that's no substitute for the absence of camel/tan leather!

      Delete
  5. Oh and you won't catch me ordering BB's Anal Probe - I heart funny names but that one never should have gotten past the editors for that collection's polish names - they could have found something else. It's too gross!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm still LOL at the fact that BB Couture actually put out a brown called Anal Probe. I'm so mature. And this color is pretty fug but you are working it!! I think the cheap foundation description is spot on, but it's also very caramel-like on you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm about as mature as you are, so. ;) Thank you, Naz! I really like it.

      Delete
  7. I am loving this color-I don't think it's fug at all.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks like a foundation color I would buy. It may be fugly but you wear it well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thank you, Virgo soul sister! :D One day you've got to come over to the apartment and see the crazy for yourself ...

      Delete
  9. Hahahaha, there are so many weird browns that can be fugly but not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? I really love this one, and I guess it helps that it's not exactly wearable for a lot of people, LOL.

      Delete
  10. I'm starting to embrace these more unique colors! I love them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! But not Anal Probe, right? ;)

      Delete
  11. I actually like it too...reminds me of butterscotch candy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. OMG! You guys have some interesting ideas!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for checking out my little nail blog! I do read and appreciate your comments and/or feedback, although it might take me a few days to get back to you. Time-sensitive inquiries should be directed to my e-mail address (rachswatched@gmail).

Please be polite and respectful when responding to others' comments in a post; if you are rude, I will delete your comment and Hannibal Lecter will eat you. Please don't leave spam comments with blog links -- it's tacky and I don't do it. Neither should you.