Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Happy Hallo-weaksauce

Howdy, friends! I hope those of you scattered across the midwest and the eastern seaboard have been keeping safe and sound in Sandy's wake. I have been bunking in my apartment in central VA and haven't been back to my parents' house since last Saturday, but I've heard tell of snow maybe 30-40 minutes away from there. Where I am, we saw steady rainfall on Monday and Tuesday. Everything has been fine. I've been drinking a lot of tea and beer, re-watching "Bleak House" and trying to teach myself how to cook ...

... which has been fun, albeit a bit difficult with this thing on:


After this, I don't understand how my mom got carpal tunnel surgery on BOTH HANDS AT THE SAME TIME.

Wearing my annual Halloween polish and HG orange, OPI Brights Power! I blogged this polish last year, but if you'd like better pics, I can try sometime next week.


I woke up on Friday with intense pain in my right wrist. It was sort of a nightmare because my right hand is my dominant hand and performing the simplest tasks was just ... painful. Unfortunately, that meant the post I had planned for last Friday fell by the wayside, as I had not yet edited swatch pictures. (I have them now, though. I'll backdate and let you know when it's up.) I pumped gas into my car that night and I swear I felt like my hand was going to fall off. I've been wearing this brace mostly at night since Sunday and I'm okay. I still have to be careful when it comes to making twisting motions, and I think my vigorous whisking on Monday night didn't help matters. However, the pumpkin chocolate chip cookies I made turned out pretty well!






Here's the rest of my Sandy times and kitchen experiments because pics or it didn't happen ...






One of my Twitter pals from ONTD was all, "Is that a wire whisk in a nonstick pan?" Yes ... yes, it is ... but only because I didn't have anything else to work with. A new whisk is on my shopping list anyway so I don't have to keep using my roommate's!


The lasagna was a vegetarian recipe that called for zucchini instead of noodles, and I didn't think to bake/drain the zucchini until AFTER we had put it in the oven. As a result, we got super watery lasagna (more like soup), but it was SO GOOD. And the alfredo sauce only took me three tries to get right, but I'd streamlined the process by the last attempt and had some help from my roommate.

I've also been catching up with ABC's new show, "Nashville." I've been excited ever since Connie Britton's casting announcement, but I'm such a die-hard "Friday Night Lights" fan (I rewatched the entire series a few weeks ago) that I wanted to hold out and give myself time to get used to seeing her in another role. A friend of mine keeps sending me links to the songs from each episode on iTunes, so I figured I'd better check it out. I don't know that I LOVE it yet, but I'll be watching every week because Connie Britton is great. Last week's episode ended on an interesting note for those of us lacquerheads: a certain character shoplifted nail polish at a grocery store -- I'm guessing it was a Revlon, but if you have any ideas, you should share. Anyhoo, here are some random thoughts on the cast:
  1. I can't with Hayden Panettiere's character, although she's a hilarious send-up of the Taylor Swift state of country music. I still see HP as Sheryl Yoast from "Remember the Titans," so the sexy stuff is just ... ew.
  2. CHIP CHARLES ESTEN, hhhhhnnnnnng. (the only time I will ever be attracted to anyone named "Deacon")
  3. Kind of weird to see a Connie Britton character in a "Good Wife"-esque love triangle ... and weirder still to see her on TV and married to someone NOT played by Kyle Chandler
  4. Jonathan Jackson really peaked at "Tuck Everlasting." I almost didn't recognize him.
  5. The actress who plays Scarlett is Australian, and the actor who plays Gunnar is British. I love Scarlett. She is so QT.
  6. Not about the cast, but the songs are honestly not bad. I would listen to all the non-Juliette ones.

Okay, that's all I have for right now because I think it's time for a cup of tea and a "Pushing Daisies" marathon, followed by "Down With Love" (though it's not remotely Halloween-y. BUT I did introduce Tara to "Dead & Breakfast" last night). If you've got any rad Halloween plans tonight, be safe out there and remember that you're probably having more fun than me. --To be fair, watching "Pushing Daisies" and stuffing my face with pumpkin chocolate chip cookies is pretty fun.

Also, if you left a comment on the blog this month and I did not respond to it like I usually do, I will be taking care of that today. I AM SO SORRY. My blogging routine got to be pretty touch-and-go in the past few weeks ... it's hard to be consistent when you're shuffling between two cities every week!

Thanks for putting up with me ... I'll see you next month!

12 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Sorry, bb! ;) (I am right now too ... but because it's dinnertime)

      Delete
  2. That made me hungry. Are you back in town? DH and I are Nashville fans too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! What do you think of the music? And what do you think she shoplifted? The black cap made me think Revlon ... but I don't think those are worth shoplifting tbh. (No polish is ...)

      Delete
  3. Yay for cooking! I'm exceeding glad you're safe and sound. :) Try carbonara pasta! It's sooooo easy and amazing. You'll love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG E. I miss you so much! I hope you're doing well. I've been looking at your blog for inspiration! (Especially your stroganoff recipe ... HELLO.)

      Delete
  4. Ok - I have to also catch up on Nashville - a bunch of folks have been chatting it up - I watched 1 episode and thought OK, I might like this - but did not DVR it and I hate, hate sitting through commercials like I have to do when I pull it up on my cable company (no TV here if you don't have cable so not a lux. for me at all - we have had to have cable for 40 yrs) - and WOW - I want a recipe for pumpkin cc cookies - fab sounding! I am a pumpkin holic! The zuc. laz sounds great - going to look for a recipe for that too (since you are not sharing here ...yet). I have lost much of the blood supply to both of my wrists (a serious bone disease I have) and my wrists are chronically in pain and I have to wear heavier splints than the ones shown here - but soooo feel for your wrist pain. Even on half way decent wrist days for me, pumping gas is really hard to do. I have had to go in with my canes/ or walker and my wrist splints on and ask for help pumping - remember, it's the law that they have to come out and help you do this if you are disabled and they cannot charge more for non self-help service...but that said, most places hate, hate to do it - esp because they often are the only 1 person there at the filling station. I went with a similar bright orange from OPI to rock Halloween - I am sooo in love with the orange from the Holland collection A Roll In the Hague. I also pulled out that super bright neon China Glaze orange - Japanese Koi. Other than late spring and summer, I don't wear these 2 shades and I really like them both. Right now looking at wearing some pallet clearing shades before I get into all these favs of mine that are in the caramel range so perfect for US Thanksgiving time...like OPI & Apple Pie, OPI Ginger Bells and a few others I have collected in the yrs past in that hue range...it's just about my fav shade to wear but seems to look funky if it's not fall season. Soooo - are you IN the Sandy path? I hope not any damage if you are - and if you are in it, you clearly have access to power or we could not be hearing from you here. Curious to know what holiday collections you are going to share with us...and I soooo hope we can depend on you pulling great shades out of your stash of past colors for the holidays - I sooo love shopping my own stash - it's become a big deal with me now that I don't have room for more than a few new ones until I figure out how to sell off the more than 400 dups I have that are brand new - I no longer buy dups but for the gold flake toppers and the 1 shade I am gaga for in the OPI Skyfall - the red-raspberry glass fleck one - You only live Twice - however I might have to get another bottle of Tomorrow Never Dies (the burple one that to me looks 100% royal purple) because it looks so amazing with the gold leaf polish (Zoya or OPI's) over it..I cannot stop looking at my nails with that combo on! Seriously I do want those 2 recipes - I will see if I can get your email contact here and we can 'talk' that way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the well wishes! I have no idea where the wrist thing came from, but it doesn't sound nearly as serious as yours.

      E-mailing you in a few with the recipe links and notes.

      Delete
  5. Good to hear everything is safe where you are! Your food pics are making me hungry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jennifer! xo I'm glad you're OK, too.

      Delete
  6. i'm glad to hear that you're safe, i hope your arm gets better soon though! oh, and i love that your nails still look fresh (;

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Eileen! Girl, you know I twisted that darn bottle with my left hand. I wasn't about to have nekkid nails for Halloween! The horror. ;)

      Delete

Thank you for checking out my little nail blog! I do read and appreciate your comments and/or feedback, although it might take me a few days to get back to you. Time-sensitive inquiries should be directed to my e-mail address (rachswatched@gmail).

Please be polite and respectful when responding to others' comments in a post; if you are rude, I will delete your comment and Hannibal Lecter will eat you. Please don't leave spam comments with blog links -- it's tacky and I don't do it. Neither should you.