Monday, October 15, 2012

Skinny Dipping (With Friends): A bit of bridal

Welcome to the third Skinny Dipping (With Friends)!

Originally I'd planned to show you my new favorite nude polish for fall, but my stash is split between my parents' house and my apartment and I cannot find said polish to save my life. Perhaps it will be unearthed once my room at my parents' gets a thorough cleaning, which would be nice, because I'd also really like to find my copy of "Toy Story 3." Until then, however, I had to find inspiration elsewhere.

Last month, Anna blogged one of the best nudes I've ever seen on her, Essie Topless & Barefoot from Essie's French Affair collection. She wrote that she would consider going down the proverbial aisle wearing Topless & Barefoot on her nails. I didn't remember this detail until halfway through a recent Sunday afternoon trying on bridesmaid gowns for my friend Krysi's big day (which takes place next year -- I am especially looking forward to the bachelorette weekend road trip to Kentucky for wedding bourbon). Then I started wondering about what I would do about my nails if *I* were going for a clean bridal look, French tips being entirely out of the question, bien sûr. For me, Nicole by OPI Others Pale by Kim-parison is a good compromise between Topless & Barefoot and bridal extravaganza eleganza. (I do think I would be more likely to go red or purple on my nails -- I do what I want.)

Pardon the pictures. I was in a RUSH when I took these. I felt like I was going to throw up partly because of the bad migraine I had that day and partly because I had just scheduled my first job interview in over two years. (It's on Thursday.)




Four coats with SV.








Those darn Kardashians win again. I generally cannot with anything Kardashian -- I'm pretty sure one of my journalism professors would give me an earful solely for buying this polish, as she hates all things Kardashian -- but I truly enjoy their NOPI collaborations. This is an off-white nude, with a slight tinge of peachy pink beige that really pops in the sun. I think it's more flattering on me than Topless & Barefoot would be. It's stark, but not startlingly so.

I was expecting the formula to be horrendous, but it actually wasn't. Yes, the first coat was a minor streakfest but I figured out how to work this one: Use two thin coats to start, and then use an additional 1-2 medium-thick coats for complete opacity. Wait in between coats, of course. I had a few bald spots on my left hand (my swatching hand) but not on my right, and the cuticles on my right hand are more jacked up than my left, which explains these photos. This polish didn't dry as quickly as some cremes I have, but I think it dried more quickly than NOPI Nothing Kim-pares to Blue. I wore this for three days with no chips and minimal tip wear.

Others Pale by Kim-parison was part of this spring's Nicole by OPI's Wel-Kim to My World collection. Though it was limited edition and is long gone from stores, I've been seeing these polishes and some NOPI Biebers pop up in duos at TJ Maxx and Marshalls. Two weeks ago when I bought a Le Creuset at Marshalls, I even saw this polish in a NOPI duo with Nothing Kim-pares to Blue. I bought this bottle over the summer when I saw it in the clearance section at Ulta.

I don't remember Others Pale by Kim-parison getting too much love from the nail blogging community, but I really like it and I'm glad I have it. What do you think? Would it pass for something bridal? I think more about marriages rather than weddings, let alone a hypothetical one of my own -- all I know is that IF I HAD TO, I would have an open bar and karaoke at the reception because I will sing before I dance, even if properly lubricated. My college journo friends and I would sing "Afternoon Delight" and it would be amazing.

Thanks for reading, and go check out Anna's pick for today! Man, I seriously hope I find my new favorite nude by next month's installment. GRRRRR. (Argh.)

14 comments:

  1. AHHHHHH This is so perfect on you.

    Also, non traditional weddings all the way. I'm walking down the aisle to the Parks & Rec theme song. Treat Yo Self.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, A!

      LMAOOOOOOOOOO do you want me to bring "Avatar" and 50 pairs of 3D glasses?

      Delete
  2. Now that is a nude that I would love to have! It looks perfect on you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jennifer! I think it would look smashing on you :)

      Delete
  3. I really like that. I'm into subtle lately (Wet n Wild Sugar Coat is getting a weird amount of love from me). I'd wear it for a wedding.

    I think I'll end up wearing a vampy red. To give my mother a heart attack. I dunno.

    Oh, speaking of that I have to call about a venue. Sigh. Time to procrastinate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! And UGH, the elusive Sugar Coat. I bet it's at Five Below, so I'll have to see next time I'm there.

      Dude, vampy reds are the balls. Based on what I've read on your blog, you strike me as someone who would go either vampy or bright red! (but that's just my opinion)

      Delete
  4. Yes this is a pretty color-yes it would be great for a wedding-but HELL NO I would not buy this just because it is from the KARDASHIANS. Sorry just can't do it. And when I got married (divorced now) But when I did-it was on top of a mountain, in the Adirondacks in NY during peak fall foliage and I wore a Brown turtleneck dress and my black combat boots. Hows that for doing what you want?????? Alas, at the time, I was NOT a polish junkie-but if I were, I would have worn matching brown as it is my fave color.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeahhhhhhhhhhh, I knew I had no scruples when I broke down and bought that $OPI "Glee" polish (and I really, REALLY hate "Glee").

      The older I become, the more traditional I lean, so I think I would just have a traditional western ceremony in a church if I could find one. There's a great essay about wedding vows (and wedding) by Phillip Lopate that sums it all up.

      Delete
  5. I love nudes. I wear them all the time. But yes I did wear a nude for my wedding. It had a bit of silver shimmer in it, but it was very simple. For the wedding reception I either wore that also or just a clear top coat. The wedding and reception were a couple of weeks apart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds pretty! After trying on one of the OPI NYC Ballet nudes, I wouldn't be opposed to wearing something like that. :)

      Thank you for sharing!

      Delete
  6. A job interview!!!!! I'm so proud of you. :'-)

    Your imaginary wedding sounds awesome. I personally am in agreement vis-a-vis the open bar. It just seems cruel to force guests to travel great distances, buy outfits they will probably never wear again, and sit through a wedding ceremony only to make them pay for their own drinks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL ty, bb.

      What you said, but instead of paying for their own drinks, imagine having NO DRINKS AT ALL. My former coworker's in-laws did not approve of alcohol, so he and his groomsmen toted little flasks around all day at his wedding. I would die.

      Delete
  7. Aaahhh that is one beautiful nude!!! Even though I don't dig nude (unless of some hot guy LOL). And yes, when you get married you *should* do whatever you want!! I had rock music played during dinner instead of your usual elevator crap!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOLOL my cousin's husband's band played at their wedding. It was kind of hilarious to see a bunch of white guys wearing Filipino barongs and playing Van Morrison's "Brown Eyed Girl," ngl.

      Delete

Thank you for checking out my little nail blog! I do read and appreciate your comments and/or feedback, although it might take me a few days to get back to you. Time-sensitive inquiries should be directed to my e-mail address (rachswatched@gmail).

Please be polite and respectful when responding to others' comments in a post; if you are rude, I will delete your comment and Hannibal Lecter will eat you. Please don't leave spam comments with blog links -- it's tacky and I don't do it. Neither should you.