Wednesday, October 10, 2012

OPI Wooden Shoe Like to Know?

I didn't even want to post this week because I don't know how I'm supposed to follow Horatio Hornblower Appreciation Day ... but I had some rare time & internet to do it, so you're welcome.

I only have two polishes from the OPI Holland collection. As much as I adored the color palette, the polishes didn't excite me -- I'm not sure if this was in comparison to previous OPI spring collections, or because I feel oversaturated with polishes and close dupes after three years of collecting, but that's what I felt.

I bought Did You Ear About Van Gogh? at Ulta this spring partially because I never can have enough nudes but mostly because I love Van Gogh's "Sunflowers" and the VVG episode of "Doctor Who" broke me (STILL CRYING ABOUT THAT, BTW). This polish, OTOH, was acquired through Lawless Lacquer's blog sale over the summer (I think?). It seemed unique enough for me to be worth a buy, but I didn't want to pay full price for it if the color was bad on my skin tone.

I've been wearing this for two days now and I'm not 100% in love with it.




Three coats with SV.








Wooden Shoe Like to Know? is in the brown/taupe family but defnitely on the warmer side of the spectrum, and sometimes it even pulls mauve on some skin tones. It's somewhere between a reddish brown (but not terracotta, thankfully) and a purplish mauve on me, so I can just pull it off. I think the golden shimmer warms it up some more, though it's not that apparent in some lights so it looks like a creme most of the time to me. The shimmer is reminiscent of OPI I Eat Mainely Lobster and OPI Chapel of Love, if you're wondering. This color may have been released in a spring collection, but I think it also works for fall.

Although the polish colors from OPI Holland did not blow me away, the formula for this one did. It was perfect, as was the dry time.

Anyone have $0.02 you want to drop re: Wooden Shoe Like to Know?, because I would like to know. I wonder if I would make more of an effort to keep it if it had been a "high end" release. I may have to keep this on another day and think about it. Or you know what, maybe I won't.

This song is more or less how I feel about this polish. The bongo guy kills me every time.


 


A couple of weeks ago, I tweeted that I might be in need of a Hall & Oates intervention. Or maybe just one for Daryl Hall. We all know he's the better half because he can pull off the facial hair and he's cool enough to do things like his monthly web show, which you also can watch on Palladia. This song is from last year's Mayer Hawthorne episode (also featuring Booker T., who got his own episode) -- I think it's my favorite episode featuring a contemporary musician because you can see how Mayer Hawthorne's style jives with and was heavily influenced by Hall & Oates'. I really think I was born in the wrong decade sometimes. The '70s had the best music, hands down.

6 comments:

  1. I want to be contrary and say that I love this because you don't, but I dunno, man, it seems to just sort of fall flat. I wish the shimmer was more apparent. Down with subtle shimmer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was missing something, for sure. BLAH. But I've swapped it away, and I hope my swap partner will love it more than I did!

      Delete
  2. Pinky browns I don't do well in. They give me lobster hands. I did buy this one thinking I don't know what...weak time, wanted to get it before it was gone? Don't know. It's going to end up in my donation pile I am sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've noticed I wasn't digging OPI Spring this year enough to buy any of them except Van Gogh. This year's spring collections were pretty bleh to me.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. I guess it would make a good stamping base.

      Delete

Thank you for checking out my little nail blog! I do read and appreciate your comments and/or feedback, although it might take me a few days to get back to you. Time-sensitive inquiries should be directed to my e-mail address (rachswatched@gmail).

Please be polite and respectful when responding to others' comments in a post; if you are rude, I will delete your comment and Hannibal Lecter will eat you. Please don't leave spam comments with blog links -- it's tacky and I don't do it. Neither should you.