Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Feel like I'm falling: Sally Hansen Xtreme Wear Concrete

Oh, I've fallen all right ... behind with posting, that is. This NOTD is the 2nd one I'm playing catch up with for you guys! I had the pictures ready to go but the written stuff, not so much. Remember when my blog posts used to NOT be a short essay? Sometimes I miss those days. Sometimes I even wish I could dash off a quick "THIS IS TWO COATS, BYE," but you can read that anywhere. Somewhere along the way, Stuff stopped being a polish swatch blog and morphed into a full-on nail diary, complete with (unnecessary) pop culture and real life asides.

Stuff's pop culture/real life aside for today is brought to you by the Beth Orton show I attended last month with my sister in Charlottesville, VA. (Can I say that I've enjoyed having my sister as my 2012 concert buddy? Because I really have.) Beth Orton is currently touring to promote her first album release in six years, and given that lapse in time, we couldn't pass up the opportunity to see her perform. I am happy to report that it was well worth it!

Fun fact: Concrete is the second polish I've used in my apartment. What's scary is the fact that ever since I signed the lease, I've slept there FIVE times, showered twice, and have yet to make a meal there. (Sigh.) This weekend, my high school bestie will do me the honor of being my first overnight, out of town guest, so that's something.




Three coats with SV.








Oh mah gah, this polish is TDF. It's a greige with mauve/lilac tones, but very neutral ones -- most nudes with mauve/lilac tones have a zombifying effect on me, so this one was a pleasant surprise. This polish is definitely a greige on me, though it pulls more purple on my lovely albino friends. Once again, it's all about your skin tone.

The formula on this one was perfect. I used to hate the Xtreme Wear brushes and long stems, but the more I use them, the more my tune changes! Concrete was so easy to apply. I wore it with no chips and minimal tip wear for about 3-4 days. I didn't want to take it off.

Concrete came from the limited edition Xtreme Wear collection from Fall 2010, the collection that gave us fan favorites Mystic Lilac and Fireberry Red. I'd say Concrete is fairly HTF after two years, but if you're lucky, you'll see it pop up on blog sales from time to time. This information makes me incredibly happy I have a back-up (this was purchased with the intention of becoming a swap item, but my potential swap partner ended up caving like a bad tent and buying it, so yay for me).

And now we've arrived at the part of the post where I tell you why I picked Concrete.

Simply, it is this:




Opinion Fact: No matter how melancholy it may be, anything involving Ryan Adams can't be bad. (Does that mean I have to like Mandy Moore now?)

Beth Orton has been releasing albums since the '90s, but she didn't come to my attention until I watched "Vanilla Sky" and heard her on the Chemical Brothers track "Where Do I Begin?" which was used in the movie. (I don't think I'll ever stan so hard for a Tom Cruise or Cameron Crowe movie again.) Unbeknownst to me, her sound was more electronic before her third album, "Daybreaker" (2002), the album that made me a fan; "Comfort of Strangers" (2006) solidified that.

I tend to favor more upbeat music, so Beth Orton isn't an all the time thing for me, but that doesn't lessen the impact her work has had on me or how beautiful it is. Like I said earlier, her new album is the first one she's put out in six years. I'm no artist but I understand that a lot can change in that time -- circumstances, attitudes -- and she seems to have gone through a bit of a metamorphosis after having two children, getting dropped by her record label, re-learning to play the guitar, and meeting and marrying her husband, who opened the show.


Beth Orton performing "Concrete Sky" with her husband, U.S. folk singer Sam Amidon


All of these changes are reflected in "Sugaring Season." I had to look up what the term meant, and this profile spelled out its significance for me: it's "the time of the year when maple trees are tapped for syrup." So basically, a long and arduous process yields something wonderfully sweet.

DEEP, right? NGL, sometimes I have moments of excitement-slash-temporary insanity wherein I think I should have been an English major (and then I stop being excited because my mom was an English major before she went to med school). The moment when the title of "Sugaring Season" clicked for me = one of those moments.

The show was wonderful, a great mix of old favorites and new songs. Catch her on tour if you can! If I were to pimp some more Beth Orton to you, I would start with some basic faves:
  1. "Where Do I Begin?" w/ the Chemical Brothers
  2. "Conceived" (from "Comfort of Strangers." The music video is one of my faves.)
  3. "Call Me the Breeze" (from "Sugaring Season")
Were you able to snag Concrete? Do you wish you had? Do you think I'm going to OD on nude polish shades? Any Beth fans out there? Is my super white taste in music showing too much? (Too bad! There'll be more!)


P.S. My interview is tomorrow morning at 11. I have no idea what I'll be wearing for that and it's very unlikely that I would nab the position, but as it's my first interview in over two years, I'd like to NOT bomb it. Please cross your pretty fingers for me and send me good juju and positive vibes. Goat sacrifices are appreciated, as always.

10 comments:

  1. GOOD LUCK MY FREN.

    I think that's why I've slacked off on posting lately. Well, aside from the fact that I've run out of photos to post and I haven't been taking photos of what I've been wearing lately. BUT STILL. I don't like not engaging people or having something non-interesting to say. I would even just post music videos on Youtube if it would help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. <333

      In my case, it's partly because I'm bouncing between two cities almost every week and I hate the lighting in one of them. :/ I can barely get out the door when I need to, so it's no surprise my posts have fallen by the wayside!

      Delete
  2. We actually agree on a polish!!! I love Concrete and I kind of wish I'd gotten a back-up bottle. I don't ~do~ back-ups, so that is a big deal vis-a-vis my intense love for it.

    I just bought a futon in hopes of luring my one and only friend to come visit me but alas, not yet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. FINALLYYYYYYYYYYY :D

      If I had more money and time, I would come visit you and sleep on said futon. Then we could watch ALL THE THINGS until we passed out.

      Delete
  3. Beautiful!! I am now wondering if I have this in my stash, and if not, I need to get my hands on it. I know I for sure have Mystic Lilac and Fireberry Red. Hmmm.

    Anyways, good luck on your interview and your first guest in the new place!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jacqui! :D I hope you have this one already as it'd be a totally safe work polish for you.

      Delete
  4. Good luck on your interview! Am going to have to check out Beth Orton. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the Chemical Brothers and need to see if I have that song on my 2 cds. I like that your blog is not all polish-just like mine is. Sometimes-"this is a pretty blurple" just gets boring after a while no?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Fingers. If you have "Dig Your Own Hole," then "Where Do I Begin?" is on it.

      Delete
  5. Wooh, this is gorgeous, Rach! Similar to Essie Chinchilly, but zomg, that hint of lilac is just beautimous. Hope you get some time to enjoy the new place! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Elizabeth! <3 Oh god, I love Chinchilly, too. One of my favorite shades, especially for wintertime pedis.

      Delete

Thank you for checking out my little nail blog! I do read and appreciate your comments and/or feedback, although it might take me a few days to get back to you. Time-sensitive inquiries should be directed to my e-mail address (rachswatched@gmail).

Please be polite and respectful when responding to others' comments in a post; if you are rude, I will delete your comment and Hannibal Lecter will eat you. Please don't leave spam comments with blog links -- it's tacky and I don't do it. Neither should you.