Tuesday, December 25, 2012

All I want for Christmas ...

... is to not be a mouthbreather.

I would have posted my Christmas nails today, but I am too sick for nails.

Yesterday, I got the flu. I think it started when I shivered so hard the other night, I couldn't sleep. I shivered the entire drive home to my parents' house -- so badly, in fact, that I may or may not be guilty of knee driving. (I know we all do it ... we shouldn't.) By the time I got home, I could not get warm. I went out to dinner with my family and shivered the whole time. It probably did not help that I was seated near the window. The pharmacies had closed by that point, so my dad hooked me up with some Tamiflu after dinner.

This has been such a weird Christmas. My mom and my aunt are in the motherland, and my cousin did not come home. Oddly enough, as disappointed as I am about not partaking in our unofficial family tradition of going to the movies on Christmas Day, I think I'm actually more bummed about missing Christmas Mass. Left to my own devices, I never go to church, but Christmas Mass is one of the best church celebrations. I also think this is the first Christmas that I won't be seeing any friends at home, so it's a little lonely in that sense.

HOWEVER. I may be hacking up a lung and burning up in my pajamas, so I can't spam you with nails ... but I can spam you with shots from the botanical garden holiday light show. BF took me there on Saturday night. After seeing my friends' photos pop up on Facebook over the past month, I'd been wanting to go. This year's theme was East Meets West, and it was beautiful.


Me: "OMG B, I FOUND ASLAN."


As we got to the unicorn, a small child shrieked, "A UNICORN! I LOVE it!!"


Part of the Children's Garden, lit up















After freezing and taking eleventy billion pictures at Lewis Ginter, we went to go look at tacky lights. In Richmond, the Tacky Light Tour is a huge deal during the Christmas season. A list is posted of all the houses in the city and immediate surrounding area with tacky light displays. Some people even go balls out by renting limousines and drinking bubbly. It's a lot of fun. I didn't have a car in college, so after that I've made a point to drive through some West End and Southside neighborhoods. There are some pretty incredible (and incredibly tacky) displays, but our favorite one is in Southside, in the Brandermill area. This is why:




Who doesn't love a Yeti? His house wins all the awards in his neighborhood.






We saw this in a different neighborhood, and we had to stop and get out of the car to take this picture.




SO GOOD, RIGHT?

I hope you all have a very merry Patrick Swayze Christmas at your (road)house with your next of kin. I hope I'm recovered enough to hit the after-Christmas sales tomorrow, but until then, I'll be here, drinking chamomile tea from this here vessel ...



One of several Christmas gifts from BF.
Chelsea, I think you need one.


I am far away from Sterling Meowlory, but he would like to wish you a very Meowy Christmas, too.



Cat bow tie from Parkside Design Studio

3 comments:

  1. OMG, he has MORE kitty bow ties? What a spoiled little dude. I <3 him. I'm sorry you have the flu!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That small child screaming was probably me...sorry about that <3

    I'm sorry you are The Sick but lounging in pj's isn't an overly awful thing. *snuggles Sterling*

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you feel better soon. My mom came down with the stomach flu THIS MORNING, so I've been tending to her all day (including washing vomit-covered clothing). I expect to be sick tomorrow.

    Also, I got your card. It was in my packing/leaving NYC frenzy, so I'm an asshole for not telling you earlier. But i loved it. It made me smile. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for checking out my little nail blog! I do read and appreciate your comments and/or feedback, although it might take me a few days to get back to you. Time-sensitive inquiries should be directed to my e-mail address (rachswatched@gmail).

Please be polite and respectful when responding to others' comments in a post; if you are rude, I will delete your comment and Hannibal Lecter will eat you. Please don't leave spam comments with blog links -- it's tacky and I don't do it. Neither should you.