Saturday, January 5, 2013

Cult Nails Annalicious, and something new for a new year

Happy Saturday, and welcome TO THE WORLD OF TOMORROW to my first real post of 2013! And yes, my first real post of 2013 required a "Futurama" reference. Among my many Christmas gifts from BF was Season 7 on DVD. Such a good gift. I love that show so hard. BTW, I did get to see BF and Sterling Meowlory Archer on New Year's Day, and we went to see "Les Miserables." (Dear. Effing. Lord.)

Speaking of gifts ... there was a lady on the MUA nail board back in the day who once said that when the guy in your life gifts you with a kitchen appliance, it is a Sign of Srs Things to Come. I can't remember her username, but she's wrong. LOL. I enjoy practical gifts, and so this is the most unromantic thing ever. (I got corgi socks last year. That was pretty romantic, actually. Just as romantic as the Han Solo carbonite ice cube tray I gave BF this year.)




See, all this says to me is, "Yes, now I can make ALL the Bitchin' Kitchen recipes my heart desires" (with a dash of sea salt and freshly cracked pepper, of course). I don't even know what I want to tackle first. Like, this would be good. So would this.

ANYWAY, here's what you really wanted to see, my first mani of the new year. I usually go with red for good luck -- not that it's worked, ever -- and when I got stumped between two reds, I had Anna help me pick this one not too long after midnight. (Thanks, A.!)




Three coats with SV. For some reason, Wicked Fast does not play well with other Cult Nails polishes on me. Wanky body chemistry and all that.

Also, I think my current clean up brush is on its way out. I don't even know what's going on with my clean up in these photos.








Truth be told, I was a little disappointed with this polish when I first put it on. All the pictures I'd seen of it did not prepare me for how orange it pulled on my complexion. I enjoy warm red polishes, but when it comes to shimmers, the cooler-toned ones look better on me. As a result, I think OPI The Spy Who Loved Me is a better fit, but I really came to love Annalicious for itself during the four days I wore it. (Sort of bonus?: my middle name is Ann, a name that I feel would be better with an "e" on the end, although that's another story.) The gold glass fleck is probably what warms it up, though it looked mostly red on the nail as opposed to the bottle color. It's gorgeous. The particles aren't huge, so I can see how people would want to call this a foil, but that's a glass fleck shine, my friends.

This applied so well. Lovely formula. I know other bloggers have been using two coats for this, but three is Baby Bear for me (just right). Either way, you are guaranteed wonderful results. As I said, Wicked Fast doesn't play well on me when I use it over Cult Nails polishes -- I get three days' worth of tip wear after one day -- so I used SV, and this dried in record time. I had this on for four days with average tip wear, which was really fantastic. I'll definitely bring this out again.

Annalicious is from the limited edition Coco's Untamed collection that was released last summer, and one of my favorite collections from that season. I believe this was named after Coco's best friend, how adorable! For those of you who aren't aware of the Cult Nails price increase, here's the official Cult Nails blog post. Bottom line: As of January 1, 2013, polishes will be sold for $12 each instead of $10, while treatments will be sold for $10 instead of $8. So if you want to pick up Annalicious for less than $12, wait for a sale (Maria does have some good ones), look for it on blog sales, or find someone who has it up for swap.

So that's my deal with Annalicious. As for the "something new" in the title post, I am trying a new, albeit hardly original system of working through and blogging my untrieds when I'm pressed for inspiration and have no pop culture- or RL-inspired tie-ins. I'm going alphabetical with this. It's very MUA nail board of me, isn't it? But I think it'll work. I would like to get at least two rounds of the alphabet done in 2013, and I think this is a good goal for me, the most unorganized Virgo I know, to work on.

What do you think of Annalicious and/or the Cult Nails price increase? If you have an ungodly number of untrieds, do you have a particular method of working through them? Do you have any recipe suggestions so I can break in my new kitchen toy? And to get topical, did anyone go see the Joe Wright/Keira adaptation of "Anna Karenina"?

I did. Assessment: It is a really long Chanel advert/short film with lovely costumes and even better mustaches. However, the staging and the theatrical conceit drove me BATTY. I know it was Tom Stoppard but I found it so distracting that I constantly had to remind myself how the story's events unfolded in the book (which, IMO, should be considered a form of torture for high school students. I'm glad I read it, but damn. Fifty pages of Levin mowing grass with the peasants?!). It reminded me of those Lars von Trier movies, "Dogville" and "Manderlay," just more heavily ornamented. The cast, however, was pretty wonderful, and I'd almost forgotten Ruth Wilson was in the movie, so seeing her was a nice little surprise. Like "Les Mis," "Anna Karenina" was a fun experiment. But I wouldn't be enthusiastic about seeing another movie done that way.

Yeah, it may be a new year, but I still don't think I'm capable of writing a short blog post. Giddy up.

12 comments:

  1. oooh, I love it on you! I can totally see how'd it pull orange though, now that you mention it.

    Aaaaaanyway. I love your food processor! Now you can make all the infused vodkas ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, lady! And ooh ... good call about the infused vodka. Will have to try that for sure. :)

      Delete
    2. Shutterbean has some of the BEST!

      Delete
    3. I'm gonna look into them. TY bb!

      Delete
  2. I just do not like cult nails. I find the formula way to thin for my taste and just not for me. Although this color is stunning it is like some recent opi that I own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Their formulas are pretty thin for the most part, but thinner formulas are easier for me to work with. And though I mentioned it in the post, I think the polish you're thinking of is OPI The Spy Who Loved Me.

      Delete
  3. i like and want to have every single nail polish you write about, there is just something special about your style of writing, i am completely addicted (poor wallet, once i am done with a beauty ban on 1st of april) :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you! But no apologies for the addiction. It's a good one to have. :)

      Delete
  4. I have been lemming over Annalicious since it came out....so when Dec 31st came and I got the info there was a sale on ltd release polishes at Cult Nails I finally got a sale notice when I had a little extra cash to put in an order...and this one was the first I put into my cart...waiting for my order to arrive now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enjoy! My box is coming in the mail today. I can't wait.

      Delete
  5. The strange things first:
    I'm watching Futurama RIGHT NOW. The one with Beck, & Bender's singing career. So good.
    I'm also painting my nails with Cult Nails Vicious.
    My middle name is Anne, with the 'e'.

    I own Annalicious, but it's untried. Speaking of, when I'm feeling particularly uninspired, I like using random.org to pick an untried for me. I keep a spreadsheet, so it works out well.

    you should totally make some hummus with your new food processor. Saketa!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, that episode! "Got a washboard stomach and a microphone." I like it, but not nearly half as much as the Bender and Calculon one where Bender becomes Coilette, the spunky maid from Robonia (a land I didn't make up).

      I don't know what it is about "Anne" with an 'e,' but I like it so much better.

      Thanks! I guess I should update my spreadsheet before I try random.org first, though. And if I liked hummus, I would definitely do that. I don't know what's wrong with me. Why don't I like hummus, Julie?!?!

      Delete

Thank you for checking out my little nail blog! I do read and appreciate your comments and/or feedback, although it might take me a few days to get back to you. Time-sensitive inquiries should be directed to my e-mail address (rachswatched@gmail).

Please be polite and respectful when responding to others' comments in a post; if you are rude, I will delete your comment and Hannibal Lecter will eat you. Please don't leave spam comments with blog links -- it's tacky and I don't do it. Neither should you.