Sunday, February 24, 2013

Oscar nails! Ulta Salon Formula Red Carpet Red + Lynnderella The Glittering Crowd

When I was young and impressionable (read: in middle and high school), I loved watching the Oscars. Obviously I wasn't in it for the fashion, because it was the '90s, and ... yeah.; there also was the novelty of getting to stay up late TO WATCH TV. Until I was about 18 or 19, I didn't realize the Emmys were my true endgame of award shows -- as much as I appreciate film, I love television more (which you can figure out after spending five minutes reading this blog).

I haven't watched the Oscars in some time and I was going to skip it again this year (I just got "Game of Thrones" Season 2 on DVD -- priorities! I'm also not as drawn to award shows as I was, and oh geez, Seth MacFarlane), except ... my friend's brother won a little contest and was selected to be one of the six student presenters at the show. UM, YES. WATCHING FER SHUR.

I would have had an Oscar party to get my brag on like the terrible person I am, but as I don't have any friends near temporary RachQ, the best I can manage for tonight will be to stick some drinks in the fridge and show you my nails. SO.

For your consideration: Ulta Red Carpet Red, a super boss candy apple red jelly that was gifted to me by Janice. It's more blue-toned IRL than it looks here. Shown are three coats and SV.




I love it sofa king hard. Look how squishy! Ugh. Janice, THANK YOU.







This is a mini bottle, so I'm guessing it was part of a set and I have no idea when it came out. I am just happy to have it because it's gorgeous and will be used to the last drop. Formula and application were perfect, dry time was FAST, and wear has been great. Edit: This is from the Salon Formula line, which often goes on sale (2 for $6, that kind of thing) and you can find it with all the eyeshadow and powders and stuff. It's $6 in-store and online.

All in all, a pretty classic red nail look. But lest it be too plain for an Oscar glitz fest, I tarted it up with three coats of Lynnderella The Glittering Crowd (last seen here):




One coat of Gelous was necessary before top coat.



(Sorry 'bout them cutes. DAMN, they look rough.)


I'm sloooooowly getting used to working with indie glitters (no matter what Lynn says, her stuff is about as indie as it gets) and dabbing little bits of glitter onto my nails. I have to say that I'm also pretty patient when it comes to these things, so it's not a huge deal if I have to work at it. I did have to do a little fishing, especially when I discovered The Glittering Crowd contained star glitter. I thought I was going to hate star glitter. I'm ... okay with it.

Part of me felt a little guilty about blogging this Lynnderella because it was super limited edition, has been discontinued, and is now VVVHTF -- at least, it is if you don't stumble upon a blog sale or something. BUT, it took me forever to get it after I decided I wanted it, so there's no way I WON'T be using the bejeezus out of it.

All right. What do you think? Good combination? Oscar-appropriate? Are you doing anything fun tonight? Who was your favorite Oscar host (or winner)? Or do you hate award shows as much as BEST ACTOR NOMINEE Joaquin Phoenix -- are they carrots you don't want any part of? (What a quote. What a gem.)

I will say that I'm glad they nixed the trophy girls this year and that I hope future producers continue to include student presenters in the ceremony. It's a significant (and positive) gesture, no matter what industry you're in. I can't wait to see my friend's brother on TV, LOL FOREVERRRRRRR.

10 comments:

  1. I watched the Oscars ONCE in high school because we got extra credit for watching and it was soooooooo boring. I usually don't see very many of the movies that are nominated, so I have no pony in that race.

    My only thing is--that little girl from Beasts of the Southern Wild? ALL THE AWARDS. (I haven't even seen the movie yet but I love her.)

    And Jessica Chastain, PLEASE wear something flattering. You turned it OUT last Oscars, do it again. You deserve better than what you've bee wearing.

    I am mesmerized by that red jelly. It makes your fingernails look like gummy bears.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Extra credit?! R u srs.

      I haven't seen the movie either, but she's adorable.

      I think Queen Chastain turned it out. I just maybe sorta liked last year's hair better.

      But don't you think all jellies make your fingers look like gummy bears? Now I could really go for some vodka gummy bears.

      Delete
  2. Wow, how cool for your friends brother!!! I actually was going to watch the oscars tonight, so what's his name, so I know and have bragging rights in front of my hubby that I 'know' someone who knows the presenter?! :))
    Awesome red, very Oscar appropriate :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Gosia! Did you check your e-mail? :)

      Delete
  3. I haven't decided if I'll watch this year or not (the Emmy's are also my jam). But, this years' Golden Globes were everything. ILY Tina & Amy.

    I did watch the 2011 Oscars though. Because I love Black Swan, no matter what anyone says.

    I am going to scream that quote out the next time a teacher offers super involved extra credit. WORST TASTING CARROT EVAR.

    And you know my sentiments about this polish =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Black Swan" was actually a pretty solid movie. That was a good year for best picture nominations, tbh.

      :D

      Delete
  4. I could care less about these award shows-they are too long and too boring for me to watch. But oh how I LMFAO at your Temporary RachQ line-where do you come up with this stuff??????? Freakin gold if you ask me! Thanks for the smile-I needed it today. As for Lynnderella-she could have been really great until her ego blew up. I do own her Connect the Dots and love it-but I won't be trying to buy anything else from her-I'm just not a huge glitter fan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome!

      Agree with you re: Lynnderella. I think the eBay situation is a bit much for me (not saying I wouldn't do it in the future, who knows), but I'm not above buying from blog sales.

      Delete
  5. ooooh what a delicous jelly! i recently got lynnderella mercurial because i've been wanting it before all the drama started and i'm totally gonna be using it like crazy too! i dont really watch award shows. i mean if it's its on, then i will, but i dont wait for those kinds of events because i'm pretty indifferent about celebrities haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks lady! <3

      I can't wait to see all your Mercurial pictures. :D

      I'm not indifferent about celebrities but I guess my favorite ones these days are the ones from my favorite TV shows.

      Delete

Thank you for checking out my little nail blog! I do read and appreciate your comments and/or feedback, although it might take me a few days to get back to you. Time-sensitive inquiries should be directed to my e-mail address (rachswatched@gmail).

Please be polite and respectful when responding to others' comments in a post; if you are rude, I will delete your comment and Hannibal Lecter will eat you. Please don't leave spam comments with blog links -- it's tacky and I don't do it. Neither should you.