Thursday, March 7, 2013

Zoya Katherine? Katharine? Whatever.

Last winter, Zoya collaborated with designer Peter Som on three polishes for his show at New York Fashion Week. Those polishes, Katherine, Audrey and Evvie, were released as a Zoya exclusive, limited edition trio. For some reason, I thought I needed them. The trio sold out really quickly -- epically, within a day! -- and when people later talked of wanting them, especially Evvie, I cackled to myself. I've been through my share of "you snooze, you lose" shopping, so I felt like I'd finally gotten the upper hand on something.





Zoya re-released Katherine and Evvie last fall in their Gloss and Designer collections, respectively. NGL, I was pissed, in that "WELL THEN I GUESS 'LIMITED EDITION' MEANS NOTHING" sort of way.

Last week, I got a swap request from a sweet NBer, which turned into a multiswap when I discovered she also had Katherine on her wishlist. I'd swatched it on a finger when I got it last year, but I figured I should do a legit swatch session before it went to its new home.




Four coats with Cult Nails Wicked Fast.










First things first: On the Zoya site as well as in the Peter Som trio insert, this polish is spelled "Katherine." But as you can see, the label on this bottle (original release) says "Katharine." That bothers me, mostly because I value consistency and also because people misspell my name all the time, so I pay extra attention to spelling.

As you can see, this one is a jelly finish. Up until Gloss collection-mate Frida, I'd only seen jellies done in the usual finishes: brights, or vampies. Katherine isn't quite a vampy jelly in the sense that Essie Wicked is, for example. This takes probably three? four? coats to start looking like anything. Other ladies on MUA have gotten more mileage out of Katherine by using it as a layering polish for jelly sandwiches, layering with other jellies, layering over foils, that kind of thing -- so you could try that. I'm not willing to go THAT far, especially since I have an abundance of creme polishes in this color, and I prefer polishes that are opaque on their own. But I just thought I'd mention it in case you have  this one and also aren't sure what to do with it.

The formula for Katherine was ... okay. I've read a lot of reviews saying it wasn't the best compared to Frida and Paloma. I found it workable, although not entirely even. The four coats I used didn't bother me and the dry time was great, but the bottom line is that this is not a polish I'd pull out again because of the finish. It's pretty once you get used to it, just not for me.

I've seen this polish sitting around at my Ulta, and it's still available on the Zoya site for $8, but I bet you could get it cheaper online somewhere. You can also swap for it, and I hope my swap partner loves this more than I did!

Time to tell me things. Are jellies like Katherine (or Frida or Paloma) literally your jam? Were you able to get the Peter Som trio last winter, or did you get Evvie and Katherine in the fall? Do you agree that the term "limited edition" gets thrown around loosely these days? (I'm looking at you, butter LONDON.)

I'll probably post Evvie this month, so keep an eye out for that. :)

12 comments:

  1. Grrrrrl, you know jellies are my jam. (I also don't like actual jelly...jam is my thing)

    Also, I'm not really sure how I feel about this shade. Hmm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It IS really pretty. The color just throws me for a loop -- I appreciate that it's a nontraditional jelly color, but ... IDK, I wouldn't use it again? You know what I'm talking about.

      Delete
  2. I got this new trio of glosses and I love them. I used an accent nail with Pirouette My Whistle in a jelly sandwich before I put the 4th coat on all my nails, and it was subtle and stunning. I just love the transparency the edges get with jelly-like formulas, and these are great to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That combination actually sounds really lovely! Wish I'd thought to try that. Thanks for sharing :)

      Delete
  3. Oh, yeah, I want to add that I love when a Limited Edition is re-released as I have no desires to lord it over anybody if I get something rare and also beautiful. However, when it becomes a constant marketing tool to get something/anything to sell out fast, then I cast a jaundiced eye on the whole enterprise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you 100%. LMAO at the "jaundiced eye" part!

      Delete
  4. Jellies are mos def my jam. I actually kind of like this one. It's interesting. It looks like you smeared actual jelly on your fingers. (Please note how I said NOTHING about gummy bears.)

    H8 limited edition stuff. I really wish there would be a time frame on it, like, hey, if you want this, buy it before June because it'll be pulled from shelves in June!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL I'm going to shout you out next time I wear a jelly. "OH LOOK MADELINE I GOTS GUMMY BEARS ON MAH FINGERS"

      It's so stupid to me. But that may be because when I started collecting, limited edition things were just that.

      Delete
  5. it makes me really mad when they do that. Make it seem like OMG get it now-it'll never be back-kind of what CHanel does-just won an Ebay bid last night for Malice-but that's another story. What irritates me is they make a big deal like this Zoya and then re release it. I think that will happen again-read something about that recently with another of these kits from Zoya but will be available in the fall-do they think we are stupid?????? And doesn't OPI repackage things of the same color but change the name thinking we won't pay attention????

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. butter LONDON is the big one to me. Dior actually does it too (and that may be a good thing for once because I might have lost a bottle of NY 57th and may need to order it again). My philosophy with OPI is that since you know they do that and you don't realize it until after you buy, it's on you.

      Delete
  6. OPI does worse, using the same name, but changing the actual polish in the jar. Anyway, I just checked my bottle(s) in the Gloss set and it's spelled "Katherine" on the label now. When I got the set, Katherine had oozed out of the jar into the box, so they sent me a replacement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Or they change the name like they did with those "Ulta exclusives" from last summer. BUT I actually wasn't too bothered about that for some reason, because the nail community is pretty informed.

      Good to know! And I'm glad they replaced your bottle.

      Delete

Thank you for checking out my little nail blog! I do read and appreciate your comments and/or feedback, although it might take me a few days to get back to you. Time-sensitive inquiries should be directed to my e-mail address (rachswatched@gmail).

Please be polite and respectful when responding to others' comments in a post; if you are rude, I will delete your comment and Hannibal Lecter will eat you. Please don't leave spam comments with blog links -- it's tacky and I don't do it. Neither should you.