Thursday, April 4, 2013

ABCs of Untrieds: B - butter LONDON The Black Knight

I know I haven't done a good job of keeping up with my ABCs of Untrieds. In hindsight, tackling that sort of thing is much more feasible for a daily blogger, not someone like me who updates whenever I get around to it. But let's forge on anyway.

I don't remember what possessed me to buy The Black Knight. I DO remember being at Nordstrom, buying my feelings in Dior polish. Obviously my senses took leave of me, because now we have this post, but ... I really don't know what made me break down and buy this. I remember Courtney being in love with it, though. (She also blinged it up and I have to admit it was great.)

Please forgive the awful photos. The glitter freaked out the camera.




Two coats over two coats of Illamasqua Boosh (double B untrieds!) + one coat of SV. Sheesh, that is some rough tip wear for having it on for an hour, isn't it?








And blurred for sparkle, a.k.a. the "I can't take photos for shit, but okay, that's pretty" shot:




People fall into two camps with this polish. They either LOVE it, or they're like me and have major sads because something about it is a bit ... off. I can't put my finger on it. Part of this stems from my preference for slightly chunkier glitters -- I like to actually SEE glitter from a distance when I wear it -- so this wasn't doing much for me. I did like the color combination, though. The blue/turquoise, fuchsia/red and silver (GOLD) glitters were a nice touch.

Normally, I prefer building up as many coats as a polish requires for opacity on its own, but I'd heard that The Black Knight was a real beast, the kind of four-coater that really feels like a four-coater. You know what I mean? So I opted to layer two coats of it over two coats of Illamasqua Boosh, a glossy black creme. Bam, instant results. The microglitter makes the formula a little gloopy, so you have to work with it a bit; it also dries gritty, so a coat or two of Gelous would be helpful before you apply top coat. I saw no need to add the Gelous on for swatching purposes. I guess it would have been a better move, since SV shrinks my bLs something awful REAL QUICK (see: every bL post on this blog).

The Black Knight was touted as a limited edition holiday release in 2011, but you still can buy it since butter LONDON apparently defines "limited edition" differently than the rest of us do. It's $15, and you can pick it up anywhere that sells the line. I'd wait until there's a B1G1 promo because $15 is getting kind of steep.

Anyone care to share your thoughts on The Black Knight? If you also didn't like it because you thought something was missing from the polish, I'd love for you to weigh in. And if you're planning to keep up with my ABCs of Untrieds, I should have C and D up this month, so stay tuned! :)

Finally, the obligatory:




The Black Knight (the polish) DOES make me sad, because I ought to be able to find it within myself to love it for Monty Python alone, and I can't. Even if I command it.

12 comments:

  1. This is a gorgeous polish, it has such depth for being such a dark color.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I guess it does, I'm just not that willing to look at it that way, LOL.

      Delete
  2. This is gorgeous! I wanted this for the longest time but about a month ago I bought Pure Ice Private Show, which is a $2 dupe. So technically I don't need The Black Knight anymore, but it's still pretty to look at!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Melissa! I think a friend of mine said a similar thing about it -- at this point you'd just be buying the bL for the name!

      Delete
  3. I know what you mean about something being off...I bought it in a two-pack with Tart with a Heart (which I ended up loving way more than TBK) when it first came out and I still have only worn it once or twice. It looks awesome with Tart with a Heart over it, though (which I saw on Scrangie's site).

    I only have a few BLs because they chip super quick on me, and I refuse to buy such an expensive polish that doesn't even last me the day (Waity Katie was AWFUL, chips within minutes, seriously); all the ones I have were BOGOs from a magical deal Ulta has never done again :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, her pictures were AWESOME!

      Oh, boo to the chips. Granted, a lot of my nail polish buddies change their mani every day, so it's not a big deal, but I don't, so I totally get it. :( As for the deals, I could swear Ulta is pretty good about theirs. If not, try Nordstrom -- I've gotten quite a few in the last year that way!

      Delete
  4. Haha, I would have bought this one for the name alone, since that exact scene was the first thing I thought of too, but that sparkle demanded to come home with me. Very nearly put it on last night for the first time, but I'm glad I didn't--will know to lay down some black first!

    Sorry it's not quite "there" for ya', Rach. I think it looks freaking fabulous, but then I haven't seen it IRL yet outside of the bottle (which is still sitting out on my table, twinkling at me all seductive-like). Will keep my fingers crossed! Only not while I'm painting them because that would be silly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOLOLOLOL oh Python.

      Oooooh, I can't wait to see your pictures, Elizabeth! (and perhaps a Python accent nail because lbr, if anyone could do it, it's you.) <3

      Delete
  5. The way I feel is that I like it, but I don't $14 like it, you know ?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha love Monty python! And I am so not a fan of butter London just doesn't stick to my nails am just not a fan at all

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for checking out my little nail blog! I do read and appreciate your comments and/or feedback, although it might take me a few days to get back to you. Time-sensitive inquiries should be directed to my e-mail address (rachswatched@gmail).

Please be polite and respectful when responding to others' comments in a post; if you are rude, I will delete your comment and Hannibal Lecter will eat you. Please don't leave spam comments with blog links -- it's tacky and I don't do it. Neither should you.