Wednesday, April 3, 2013

NEW: Sally Hansen Insta-Dri S-teal a Base

I have no idea how I haven't blogged any SH Insta-Dris until now. Yes, Xtreme Wear and the Complete Salon lines are my jam, but every now and then some Insta-Dris manage to surprise me. When I saw the new LE spring Insta-Dri shades at CVS, I had to take this one home for posterity science. Let's take a look.




Three coats with SV.









I was so drawn to this polish because of its fine, seemingly iridescent green shimmer. In the bottle, it was so, so gorgeous against the green teal (I feel like this teal is closer to Pantone's definition of emerald). As you can see, it didn't really show up on the nail.




VERY DISAPPOINT., which is a total first world tragedy because the formula was perfect. This polish was super opaque with one coat and ready for top coat at two. You know me, though, three-coater 4 life. S-teal a Base wasn't a total stainer, since I doubled up on base coat and then applied Orly Cutique anyway. Everything was all good after that.

I did enjoy the name. For some reason, I thought it wasn't a reference to, you know, bases. No, my special self thought it was a reference to bouillabaisse. This is how you know OPI and their dumb names have taken over my brain. I love OPI, but wow, their names have been uber ridiculous lately.

I took S-teal a Base back to CVS yesterday to return it ... and exchanged it for something else you may or may not see here (let's see how this week unfolds). I noticed some SH coupons at Rite Aid that you can use for anything over $2.99, so if you have a coupon, you may be able to get a new Insta-Dri shade for $3-ish. I honestly would skip this one, though.


P.S. I drove almost three hours on Sunday to watch "Game of Thrones" with B. No, I don't need to check my priorities. They're good. Stannis Baratheon's face was worth it, which was a nice bonus. Clearly, the night is dark and full of sexy up in Dragonstone. (Praise R'hllor.) And if you generally donut like Stephen Dillane, we will have to have words because HOW DO YOU NOT?!

P.P.S. I was way too bushed to go out and have Iron Throne Ale -- a decision I came to regret an hour later when I got hungry, but my pants were already off and lbr, I never leave the house when the pants have come off. This is usually okay with me and definitely a very good thing for the rest of the world, but I was so hungry B had to make me popcorn. I hate eating popcorn before bed, but we had nothing else that wasn't cat food or tuna. Maybe I should have re-titled this post "First World Problems." If I somehow developed a sense of humor, that's what I would call my Comedy Central special.

8 comments:

  1. Whew, you are so funny! you write the post's I wish I posted! But alas, I am just not that witty in written form. Its getting all sexy up in Dragonstone, I'm dying! Which btw, I don't remember there being a love connection between Melisandre and Stannis....but I kinda like where that is going, though it seems a bit off of Stannis' personality.

    Anyways, this color looks gorgeous! Its too bad about the shimmer. I have a feeling since these Insta-dri's have such a thick base, the shimmer gets lost in translation. Which is too bad, cause I would buy this for the name alone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you, Angie! I really appreciate that. :) And for sure, D&D took some ~liberties~ with the Melisandre/Stannis love connection ... but as long as they throw in some Davos, I'll live. ;)

      You're probably right about the thick base/shimmer thing. Sad, because it was so pretty in the bottle!

      Delete
  2. I think this is really lovely! Few things annoy me more than disappearing shimmer though, so I feel ya. Haven't had a chance to catch the first ep of Game of Thrones S3 yet! I'm so behind on all my TV viewing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Chelsea. It was such a bummer!

      I hope your hand is healing faster, and that you get a chance to sit down and watch the premiere soon! :)

      Delete
  3. Aw man. I had high hopes for this one after seeing the bottle. The base color is still really pretty though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you don't leave the house with no pants on! I actually like this color and see the shimmer quite well. This was a keeper in my book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was better in pictures than it was on the nail. Solid meh.

      Delete

Thank you for checking out my little nail blog! I do read and appreciate your comments and/or feedback, although it might take me a few days to get back to you. Time-sensitive inquiries should be directed to my e-mail address (rachswatched@gmail).

Please be polite and respectful when responding to others' comments in a post; if you are rude, I will delete your comment and Hannibal Lecter will eat you. Please don't leave spam comments with blog links -- it's tacky and I don't do it. Neither should you.