Monday, April 15, 2013

Skinny Dipping (With Friends): OPI Mimosas for Mr. & Mrs. + China Glaze White Cap

Part of the reason I own a shit ton of nude polishes (a shit ton to me, anyway) is because I'm constantly preparing myself in case I end up getting a job that would require a less colorful nail wardrobe. In that eventuality, a girl never can have too many options. Especially if that girl is me.

Here's a polish I picked up last month out of curiosity from catdoccannon's ongoing blog sale (check out both the blog and the 'for sale' page -- so many good finds!). Apologies for the mess on the tip of my pinky finger, the problem child of this manicure. After messing it up AND redoing it twice -- which wouldn't have bothered me if I hadn't been sick last week and too strung out in the first place -- I just said, "Fuck it, I'll deal."

So let's deal.



I want to say this is five coats with SV. I lost count after four and I was watching "Parks & Rec," oop @ me. :/ But look how pretty!








In the bottle, Mimosas for Mr. & Mrs. looks sort of close to OPI Barre My Soul from the NYC Ballet collection -- both are peach-tinged nudes. On the nail, they're different. Mimosas is sheer, but it's the old-school "thick and patchy but totally buildable" kind of sheer. Color payoff as shown in my pictures will require your utmost patience, since I waited a while in between coats. It's slow to dry, IMO, so if you're wondering whether this or Barre My Soul is a better choice, I'd tell you to go with Barre My Soul. I have crazy patience when it comes to nude polishes, so I was willing to go the extra mile for Mimosas. --Then again, I'm willing to go the extra mile for a mimosa, PERIOD.

Mimosas for Mr. & Mrs. was part of OPI's 6-piece Honeymoon Edition collection, the SoftShades theme for 2005. I'm fairly certain this is part of the OPI core line, and it's super easy to find in stores and online. Can we talk about this name, though? I don't know ANY (straight) guys know of one straight guy who will drink mimosas (haha, thanks Angie). Why would Mr. and Mrs. get mimosas? Was Mr. in an unusually good mood after getting it on in the honeymoon suite with the Mrs. and therefore agreeable to mimosas? Or do the mimosas come in a his and hers spa package? What is it? TELL ME.

...

A day after wearing this, I added one coat of China Glaze White Cap and topped it with NYC Grand Central Staysh.








UGH, I DIE. When I look at this combination, I can't believe I'm two years late to the White Cap party. I wasn't sure that Mimosas was a shade I wanted to keep, but I forgot all about those feelings after busting out White Cap.

What do you guys think? Do you possess the patience to deal with buildable sheers? Do you have a favorite? And is this layering combination not tdf?

Thanks for reading! Come back next month for another nude polish. As always, don't forget to pop over to Business Lady Polish to see what Anna's wearing today!

16 comments:

  1. Mimosas is one of my favorite OPIs. It looks great on you :) But I don't remember mine taking five coats to look like that. Yikes.

    Also, White Cap. Is. Amazing. I love it. Even on its own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you blogged it? I can't remember!

      I think my bottle is from a special batch. But that's okay because no one really uses a sheer when they have 15 minutes to polish, right?

      This blog soon will become a "LAYERING WHITE CAP ON ALL THE POLISHES" experiment.

      Delete
  2. Hey now! My guy drinks mimosas all the time! Actually its a drink he makes me drink when he wants me drunk.....but that's another story......lol

    I dunno if I could do 5 coats....I really don't, no matter how great the sheer nude is! How is that not crazy thick? I think three is my max number of coats. BUT, I'm glad YOU had the patience for this, cause it looks lovely, especially with White Cap on top....which I'm sad to say I don't think I've used ether, which is odd, cause I love a good gold shimmer. hmm...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have edited the post to reflect that, LOLOLOLOL. It's okay, B knows what to ask for in my Long Island iced teas when I want to get sloppy, hahaha.

      You definitely need to use White Cap. I'm sure you could come up with something amazing!

      Look out for an e-mail from me in a few days.

      Delete
    2. Oooh....intriguing! lol

      Yeah, Long Island's are my drink of choice when I wanna get hammered! He will shove them in my face, cause apparently I'm a fun time when I'm drunk. :)

      Delete
    3. Long Islands are SOFA KING tasty. No regrets.

      Delete
  3. SO PRETTY!

    I'll have to pull White Cap back out, it's been a while =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TY bb! Yes! Get that polish out. I plan to layer it over EVERYTHING.

      Delete
  4. I love layering White cap over nude polishes, gives a great look. As for sheers, I never try to make them opaque so I stop after 3 coats, no matter what it looks like. But yeah, I don't wear sheer polishes often, maybe once a year, if that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know why I didn't try this sooner. I'm like a glutton for punishment with sheers, plus 3 coats is normal for me with anything ... so ... my funeral, I guess?

      Delete
  5. The layering you did is so pretty! White Cap is gorgeous. I have it but I've never worn it. I guess I'm not sure what to use over it but thanks for some ideas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Melissa! YOU NEED TO WEAR IT. Don't worry, I'll give you so many ideas this summer. :)

      Delete
  6. It looks lovely and I admire your patience, cause...wow 5 coats...I could never do that many coats. I think my max is 3 and that's pushing it. My husband loves mimosas! I can assure you, he is quite straight, lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! 3 is par for the course for me, so yeah. And I guess I REALLY don't know any straight guys who love mimosas -- all my guy friends are way too into bloody marys or beer early in the day, LOL.

      Delete
  7. Oh man I sort of likes Mimosas on its own, but not the dry time layering. But, with white cap. Swoon! I feel like a 14 year old getting asked to dance by her crush. I have started a lemming database and White Cap is now on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, that's one way to put it!

      I completely endorse the addition of White Cap to your lemming database.

      Delete

Thank you for checking out my little nail blog! I do read and appreciate your comments and/or feedback, although it might take me a few days to get back to you. Time-sensitive inquiries should be directed to my e-mail address (rachswatched@gmail).

Please be polite and respectful when responding to others' comments in a post; if you are rude, I will delete your comment and Hannibal Lecter will eat you. Please don't leave spam comments with blog links -- it's tacky and I don't do it. Neither should you.