Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Zoya Dove

Zoya, hooray! I thought I'd get a few Zoya posts up so you have something to go by when it's ZOYA EXCHANGE time later this month. I know, I'm so thoughtful. (Oh, Virgo ...)

The term is "palate cleanser," but when it comes to polish, I like to say "palette cleanser" because that's what this polish is. I feel like I haven't worn a light grey creme in forever, so when B said "you should wear grey next because you'll match the cat," I didn't immediately dismiss him. Then I asked Anna to help me choose between Dove and Tao. What can I say? Just like my life, my manis are a team effort.

Enjoy the shload of pictures. Apparently my subconscious goal was to capture Dove in ALL THE LIGHTING -- I don't mind, because it's a really great color. I'm sorry/you're welcome.




Four coats with Cult Nails Wicked Fast.













It's pretty obvious how much I love this color, isn't it? I have a hard time wearing light grey cremes because some of them pull really strangely against my skin tone, but Dove was the nicest one I've tried since Orly Mirror, Mirror (which I still love, and is a little bluer than this). I considered layering something over it, but decided against it because it's such a soothing color on its own.

I've heard that some people own bottles of Dove that were two-coaters. Um, WHAT. Now I'm wondering if my bottle was part of a freak batch, because the formula wasn't the most cooperative. It went on pretty streaky after my usual three coats, but a fourth put it right. It took longer to dry than most of my Zoyas, and I got very light sheet marks on my right hand. Also, see how raggedy it dried on my free edges? That's typical of pastel and other light colors. It's not visible from far away IRL, the color payoff was worth it, and it wouldn't bug me if I weren't taking pictures for you -- no big deal. I wore this for five days with only one chip, courtesy of the sprinkly plastic top of my ginger container.

Dove is my other pick from the Spring 2011 Intimate collection (see my post on Jules here). Looking back, that collection was on point, and WAY more interesting (and sophisticated) than the typical pastels and brights you see every spring. It's just too bad my wackadoo skin tone didn't play well with it. You can buy Dove for $8 at Zoya's site, or anywhere that sells most of Zoya's permanent line. I can't remember if I saw this at Whole Foods, but I wouldn't be surprised.

Despite its formula, I think my feelings about Dove are pretty obvious. (I LOVE it.) If you own it, is your bottle a smooth two-coater or a streaky four-coater like mine? What else did you scoop from the Intimate collection?

And can you please help me choose my next Zoya post? Your choices are Jo and Adina. Go!

8 comments:

  1. Funny you mentioned that you might have a bad bottle, because my reaction was "Yikes! Four coats?" I just wore this and I'm pretty sure it was a two-coater. I think you must have gotten a bad batch. I love this because it pulls neither beige nor blue on me - a perfect neutral gray.

    Also - I vote "Jo" for the next Zoya post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really think my bottle came from a freak batch. And I am wildly envious of your two-coater!

      Jo, duly noted. Thank you! You may be the only one giving me input on this! ;)

      Delete
  2. Four coats? That sucks but this is really pretty. I definitely need more grays in my collection. I think I only have two.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The more I think about it, the more I think my bottle was part of a freak batch. Everyone else I know who owns Dove says it's a 2-coater.

      Delete
  3. This looks so good on you! I need a backup for my beloved SHCSM Dorien Grey (which was LE) and debated this, but the formula on this one scares me. I have 2 other Zoya cremes, and they behave exactly as you've described Dove. :( I wonder if some people just don't get along with that particular formula. As for your next Zoya, I vote for Jo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Naz! I think Dove may be worth a gamble ... as you can see from these comments, it appears I may have a freak bottle. :( Which Zoya cremes do you have? I think this particular issue is common among pastel shades.

      Wow, looks like you guys want to see Jo next week! I got no problem with that. :)

      Delete
  4. I looove this color but I'm pretty sure China Glaze's Pelican Gray is almost the same and I already have that (although if I remember correctly that one is a bit streaky and needs 3 coats, so not that much better than yours!).

    Aw am I the only vote for Adina?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ashley! I had Pelican Gray for a hot minute in 2011, and you're right, it is close enough that you wouldn't need both.

      It appears that you ARE the only vote for Adina! It's OK -- you'll see it sooner or later. :)

      Delete

Thank you for checking out my little nail blog! I do read and appreciate your comments and/or feedback, although it might take me a few days to get back to you. Time-sensitive inquiries should be directed to my e-mail address (rachswatched@gmail).

Please be polite and respectful when responding to others' comments in a post; if you are rude, I will delete your comment and Hannibal Lecter will eat you. Please don't leave spam comments with blog links -- it's tacky and I don't do it. Neither should you.