Friday, April 19, 2013

Zoya Jo, feelings and why I'm Team Bhaer

Hay gurlfrans. We've got a LOT of ground to cover today, so let's get to it.

But first: EDIT- I don't know how many readers I have in the Boston area, but if you're out there, a lot of us will be thinking of you all today. Please be safe.
Second: The annual Zoya Exchange is underway today until April 26 at 11:59 p.m. EST, so go fill your cart! And tell me what you're getting, of course.
Third: I posted Zoya Kimber pretty late yesterday, so click on the link in case you missed it.

Aaaaand back to our scheduled programming.

Last week, I asked you guys to help me choose between Zoya Adina and Jo. All except one of you who responded wanted to see Jo, so here it is. Thanks for playing along!

What is that scraggly bit of hair? fuzz? on my ring finger? WHO KNOWS.




Three coats with Cult Nails Wicked Fast.









You might not believe it, but I was a bit underwhelmed with this color at first. I thought it gave me major lobster hands, but after wearing it for three days, I got over it. (I also have really bad circulation, which is part of the problem.) I knew I had to have it after seeing The Polish Addict's swatch, although I didn't track it down until 2010 or 2011. Anyway, I don't think there's anything quite like Jo! I'm going to say it's more cornflower than periwinkle since this is quite blue and to me, periwinkle suggests a hint of purple, which there isn't here. The silver shimmer is very nice, but I can see how some people would find it borderline frosty. It isn't to me.

The formula was okay. It reminded me of Zoya Midori -- "thick, but workable," though not quite as thick. I've noticed that my Zoyas have a tendency to be gummy, especially the shimmers, which I think might be attributed to the resin. --Don't quote me on that, btw. I'm too dumb to science. But while it was a tad gummy, it wasn't bad to work with, and it dried in record time with Wicked Fast. I wore this for four days.

Jo was from the Twist collection for Spring '09, the collection that gave us fan faves Malia and Harley. I have Malia (I used it for my "Bitchin' Kitchen" skittle look last October), but not Harley. I'm interested in it, but I don't know if I'm interested in it enough to acquire it, if that makes sense.

But, you guys.

You know that part in "Little Women" where Winona Ryder's Jo is freaking out to her mom after turning down Christian Bale (more on this in a second)? She's freaking out not so much because she turned down a babe, but also because her sister is going to Europe instead of her, and the general tone of the scene is "WHAT AM I DOING WITH MY LIFE?!?!?!" Marmee, of course, is all, "Jo, you have so many extraordinary gifts. How can you expect to lead an ordinary life?"

Yeah, after eighteen years, I've memorized that part. Anyway, it gets worse from there because:

I've been feeling a lot like Jo lately, minus the extraordinary gifts. This week, I had a minor freakout that was along the lines of "OMG WHAT IF ALL THE WONDERFUL AND EXCITING STUFF THAT IS SUPPOSED TO HAPPEN IN LIFE HAS ALREADY HAPPENED TO ME AND NOTHING WONDERFUL AND EXCITING WILL EVER HAPPEN AFTER THIS?!?!" Also, my younger sister and her kitties moved to New York City at the beginning of the month to start a new job, and while I'm super excited and incredibly proud of her, I cannot keep ignoring the fact that I basically feel like a sad sack all the time.


 
My sister's oldest kittybaby, Boomer, 4, staring at us from around a box


Yes, I have a college degree and I enjoyed a brief stint in one of the most unstable industries ever. Yes, I currently have a job that pays the bills and lets me indulge in some of my creature comforts (hello, this blog). Yes, I am in generally good health. But overall, no, I am not happy with my life. And I don't know how to change that. I will be 30 in three years and I haven't done anything I want to do; I know few people actually get to, but obviously this bothers me. I think it would help if I knew what my talents were, and then I could find a way to put them to use for money. Only, you know, how do you figure that stuff out? Ugh, you can see I am not big on having feelings. They are sofa king gross and this is why I try not to talk about them. Sorry.

Also, because I just referenced Little Women, I am obliged to say this: "Such a small name for such a person." 


 (source)


To quote Madeline, TEAM BHAER 5EVER.

I mean, obviously. I'm not going to write an essay about it (I could if you gave me a couple of days), but let me be clear: I don't think Laurie would have been a good life partner for Jo. Yes, Laurie was young and rich and bright and handsome and passionate and beloved by the family. BUT! He and Jo were far too alike in temperament, which as Jo pointed out, would not be ideal in the long term. I guess that's why Mr. Bhaer is more appealing: he was more her intellectual equal, and more emotionally stable. Plus -- and you really see this in the '94 movie -- Mr. Bhaer is the person who sees Jo for the best woman (and writer) she can be. Sure, he was a little long in the tooth, but what more can you want?

In other words, I too have been ruined by Mr. Bhaer. Anyone else? Hands up.

If you read all of that, I commend you. Thank you. Here is some bonus Jo with one coat of China Glaze White Cap action (and a coat of NYC Grand Central Station), because White Cap is my new favorite thing. I promise this looked much more beautiful and delicate in person.







ILY, WHITE CAP. DON'T EVER LEAVE ME.

I'll be back with more Zoya on Monday. I hope you all have a great weekend. Mine will be off to a promising start, as less than 10 hours stand between me and a fancy steak dinner. Don't worry, I'll enjoy it. I'm not paying for it. :)

22 comments:

  1. I'm up in the air about this polish and my life as well :) Also I enjoy your use of the word "kittybaby".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad it's not just me. And yes. That word has been in my vernacular forever. :)

      Delete
  2. As previously discussed, the cure for your ills is clearly to come visit me in East Harlem; okay, I'm half kidding. I won't make you come to East Harlem. But we will meet in the city and have really expensive coffee and then go to Ricky's. And then we will go to Laduree and buy LES MACAROONS.

    I loves you and you're doing fine. And Jo is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. <3 Thanks, lady.

      I have never been to Laduree but I cannot turn down a macaron. (And also, this would have to happen next month because June is just too up in the air right now. But, we'll see.)

      Delete
  3. Re: Harley - It was one of my very first Zoyas. It's pretty - shimmery pale grey with just the subtlest bit of lavender flash - but I almost never reach for it among the other greys in my stash.

    Re: Kimber - Did you forget about THIS Kimber? http://jem.wikia.com/wiki/Kimber_Benton

    That's who I think of when I see that polish because it reminds me of her ridiculous hair color.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Re: Harley - What other greys do you reach for? I'm curious! I ended up not getting it (or any greys) but most bloggers and MUAers seem to love it. Light greys are so dicey on my complexion.

      Re: Kimber - Not a big Jem watcher, so it didn't even occur to me. *holds out wrist for slappage*

      Delete
    2. Well, I guess I'm showing my age a little - I was all about Jem when I was little.

      I love China Glaze Pelican Grey for a shimmery light grey or Recycle for a medium gray creme. For a darker grey, my favorites are CND Asphalt (my only CND besides Stickey, for some reason) and OPI Suzi Skis in the Pyrenees. Harley is definitely pretty - I guess Zoya just isn't one of my go-to brands. They always seem to wind up at the back of my Helmer.

      Delete
    3. Ahhhhhhh, no, thanks to the internet, it's really easy to watch old shows! But for some reason I never was drawn to Jem.

      Recycle was one of my first ChGs, and it's like sweatpants for my nails. Zoya used to be hard for me to find, but seeing them in more stores like Ulta was a gamechanger for me. Now that I have a Zoya-compatible top coat, I reach for them quite often.

      Delete
  4. This is really pretty! I love the addition of White Cap on top. Now that you've pointed it out, this polish definitely makes me think of Jo from Little Women. I love that movie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Melissa! White Cap is everything.

      Delete
  5. Aw you are going through the exact same thing as me right now (weirdly we are even the same age), so I have nothing but sympathy for you! I'm thinking part of it is because I need a change so I'm looking for a new job (it's unfortunately not looking promising, though), we'll see. I feel you, though!

    For the Zoya exchange I ordered Kimber based on your swatch, Dove, Carly, Shelby, Song, Tru, Rica. Half of those are for my mom's birthday though, so I don't feel that bad for ordering 7. The Pixie ones were exempt which sucks, because I'm not curious enough to pay full price but I am curious :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ashley. I hope things get better for you, too! I know how frustrating things can get sometimes, so feel free to drop me an e-mail anytime.

      Ooh, that sounds like a fun order! I was debating Shelby but I will try to see how long I can go without it. Hope your mom enjoys her colors. I actually removed 2 polishes from my cart so I could get one of the summer PixieDust shades. *feels forehead* I'm not sure what's gotten into me.

      Delete
  6. The polish is pretty, but my favorite part of the post was the stuff about Little Women. Laurie will always be my favorite, but I do like him better with Amy and I don't think he and Jo would have worked out. She and Professor Bhaer are a way better couple. Also, the book is so much better than any of the movie versions. <3 And thanks for reminding me to try my bottle of White Cap.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. RIGHT!? And yes, I generally agree the book trumps everything, and I'd love to read it again, but I haven't been able to find my copy for the past 13 years (plus my sister and I watched the movie at Christmas, so that's still kind of fresh).

      You're welcome! You really need to try it. I'll have more layering combos up in the coming days. :)

      Delete
  7. 1 - I know that feel, girl. I, too, am a sad sack. Like, I have a job I love and all but it's only through July and then I have to start all over again. I feel all at loose ends. If you ever want to talk, you have my e-mail address. <3

    2 - This color is so good on you.

    3 - I need to pull out White Cap!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 1 - I <3 you so much and you are wonderful and I hope you find something after July! :(

      2 - Thanks! It's growing on me.

      3 - YES, YOU DO. Didn't you get that in Amanda's traveling swap box? I'm planning to use it at least 2x before the end of the month, it's so good.

      Delete
  8. Jo looks so pretty! I hadn't seen such good pictures of it, I think I'll add it to the list for the Zoya exchange now!
    I've been having the same thoughts and feelings too (and I'll be 30 in two years), so all I can say is that you are not alone, and I hope we can figure it out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks, Susy! It's a super unique blue. You might enjoy it. :)

      I truly hope you can figure things out, too! Please feel free to e-mail me anytime if you want to vent. <3

      Delete
  9. Hmm, think I need to become acquainted with Little Women (no clue, honest- and I've encountered enough references that I'm beginning to feel like a cultural outcast :P), and obviously I need to become re-acquainted with CG White Cap. I forgot how gorgeous it was!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I had a link to a .pdf that I could send you!!!

      White Cap is the business -- I want to put it over EVERYTHING.

      Delete
  10. First of all, OMG White Cap! So gorgeous!

    Second - Girl, I feel ya! I'm THIRTY!! and still don't know what I want to be when I grow up! I ALWAYS go through thoughts of "I never lived my 20's", "I never went to clubs and partied", etc, etc. And obviously the big reason for that is I got with my guy at 19, so yeah (I really don't regret it, even though it might sound it).

    It does always help to know that your not alone, and just to say it, right?!? I always get so whiny and woe is me on my blog, but I can't help it, it feels like my only outlet. People don't have to read it, so that always makes me feel better about being whiny.

    Anyways, hope everything turns around!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Super late reply, but thank you so much for leaving this comment. <3333 I will email you FINALLY, TODAY.

      Delete

Thank you for checking out my little nail blog! I do read and appreciate your comments and/or feedback, although it might take me a few days to get back to you. Time-sensitive inquiries should be directed to my e-mail address (rachswatched@gmail).

Please be polite and respectful when responding to others' comments in a post; if you are rude, I will delete your comment and Hannibal Lecter will eat you. Please don't leave spam comments with blog links -- it's tacky and I don't do it. Neither should you.