Saturday, April 27, 2013

Zoya Julie (come out of the rain)

Heyyyyyyyyyy, you guys. Saturday posts are not the norm for me, but on Thursday I had a MAJOR case of the lazies and yesterday was spent running around town until Tara got off work and I figured, WHY NOT JUST WAIT until Saturday?

I know last night was the deadline for Zoya Exchange orders, so maybe you can think about Julie the next time there's a sale or some kind of crazy promotion. I wore this to the Josh Rouse show on Wednesday. Call me obsessive if you must, but it was the obvious choice to me.




It's cold and I can't wait forever ... for pictures, you say. Okay, okay.




Three thin coats with Cult Nails Wicked Fast.









Sometimes this looks periwinkle, but trust me, it's much redder and lighter than OPI You're Such a Budapest.

Julie first came on our radars near the end of last year during NYFW when it was a custom, limited edition color for designer Zang Toi's spring 2013 looks. Those looks were based around the idea of an "ice princess," and holy crap, I wanted Julie so hard because it was gorgeous and light purple and I really like the name Julie. It's now part of Zoya's Lovely collection for this spring, but at the time I think Gei Gei and Piaf were the other parts of the Zang Toi set, which sold out epically quickly (to me, anyway).

My friend Janice wasn't especially enamored with Julie and Piaf, so I maaaaay have bought them from her. After trying out Julie and wearing it for five days (with no chips and minimal tip wear, natch), I can't wait to try Piaf! The formula was not as bad as I thought it would be -- I think the shimmer can make application annoying for some people, but if you use thin coats and work slowly like I did, then you won't have any issues. Removal, however, left little bits of shimmer around the skin, so just wash your hands before you slap on a new color.

"Julie (Come Out of the Rain)" just so happens to be name of the lead single off the new Josh Rouse album, "The Happiness Waltz." (I embedded the music video near the top of the post.) Usually I'm very wary of new albums from my favorite artists, because sometimes you know how it is when you like only three songs, but I'm happy to report that I really love "The Happiness Waltz." Usually I'm also very wary of albums that are released when a songwriter or band seems to have "settled down" in life, but I think the album retains the same hopefulness and sunny melodies showcased in his earlier songs. They're rather infectious.


Rouse (right) playing an encore, "Lemon Tree"


I would like to say that I first heard of Josh Rouse via his song "Directions" on the "Vanilla Sky" soundtrack. I loved that movie, although I can see why other people wouldn't. But I LOVED that soundtrack. Cameron Crowe knows what he's doing, right? So after hearing that track, I decided I wanted more Josh Rouse stuff. And boy, did I find a treasure trove of it. I've been listening to him since I was 18? 19?, so getting the chance to see him live was like getting to scratch something off my concert bucket list. (Especially since, y'know, he lives in Valencia now.)

I'd never been to The Birchmere before, but it was easy to get to (for once, 95 was not a PITA) and I really liked the size and amenities of the venue, plus the staff was super helpful and pleasant about answering my neurotic dum-dum questions. I would love to go there again; Billy Bragg (!!!) was there the night after I was, and I could have gone to that show if I had budgeted accordingly, but I did not. Anyway, I made a concert buddy (another solo showgoer) and the set was AWESOMESAUCE. I hope it is not three more years before Josh Rouse comes back there.

He stayed to meet fans after the show. I got a signed poster and I would like to say I was not a dork, but I probably was. And now that I think of it, I should have gotten him to write my name on that poster, but oh well, a signed poster from one of my faves is still PRETTY DAMN GREAT.


 
I want to say this is the very last song of the set, "It's the Nighttime" 
(a crowd favorite, which goes for me too)


I don't know yet where "The Happiness Waltz" ranks among my favorite JR albums, but here are my top three:
  1. "1972" (2003)
  2. "Nashville" (2005)
  3. "Subtitulo" (2006)

Really good stuff there, if you want to give it a listen. I mean, I think you should, but I'll be the first to admit that my taste in music verges heavily on WGWG. (But, like, REALLY good WGWGs.)

What did you guys end up getting in your Zoya Exchange orders? What do you think of Julie, the Zang Toi colors, or the Lovely collection? Will you give Josh Rouse and "The Happiness Waltz" a listen? You can stream the album on his site. Tell me what you think.

Thanks for reading, and I hope you all have a lovely weekend. Har. Lovely.

6 comments:

  1. Maybe it's just that my cat is named Julie and she would HATE this but this does not seem like a Julie color to me.

    But it looks good on you.

    I missed Billy Bragg too due to lack of monies. :'(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But doesn't your bb Julie hate everything except your dad? And I know, purple doesn't seem like a Julie color. I was thinking more ... blue or popsicle red? TY!

      *shakes fist* Dude, I got my tax return THE NEXT DAY and I was so mad -- I TOTALLY COULD HAVE DONE IT.

      Delete
  2. Ummmm. This is so pretty on you. And I probs need it.

    And thank you for introducing me to a treasure trove of eargasms.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TY! And probs yes. Actually, I feel like Piaf would be bangin' on you.

      You're so welcome! I love it when that happens.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thank you! It looked gorgeous on you, too!

      Delete

Thank you for checking out my little nail blog! I do read and appreciate your comments and/or feedback, although it might take me a few days to get back to you. Time-sensitive inquiries should be directed to my e-mail address (rachswatched@gmail).

Please be polite and respectful when responding to others' comments in a post; if you are rude, I will delete your comment and Hannibal Lecter will eat you. Please don't leave spam comments with blog links -- it's tacky and I don't do it. Neither should you.