Friday, May 10, 2013

Orly Frolic, or Y U GOTTA BE LIKE THAT?!?

So much for posting at my usual blog o'clock. I got home from work late last night, and couldn't get to sleep until 2 a.m. (I was reading, for once.) I did set an alarm so I could buy Neutral Milk Hotel concert tickets, and UGHHHHHHHHH TICKETMASTER, FUUUUUUUUUUUUUU. Ticketmaster is just the worst. Tickets went on sale at 10 a.m. I'd been logged into Ticketmaster since 9:56, and although I had a ticket in my cart, the stupid site captcha wouldn't let me actually purchase it until 10:23.

By 10:30, I shit you not, the show was sold out. I feel so, so lucky! (And although I missed the window to buy Shins tickets, I was able to buy a Loretta Lynn ticket yesterday for D.C. in July. Loretta FREAKIN' Lynn. SHAKING. AND. CRYING.)

Okay, now back to nail polish. I have a feeling I won't be doing much hauling this month, but after these tickets, I am completely fine with that. (However, now that I'm locked into Neutral Milk Hotel, maybe I should buy some Pahlish?)

Orly usually does a Back to School collection every summer, and when the press images of the 2011 Happy Go Lucky set came out, I lost my shit. I NEEDED THEM ALL. I love Orly! I love bright cremes! Nothing could be wrong about that, and generally I'm still happy with the collection, except for Frolic.

Oh, Frolic. :(

It was supposed to be a warm purple, and I swear to you that it was when I bought it. Check out the pictures at Colores de Carol -- those are close to what I remember. Two years later, it seems to have morphed into this weird, warm orchid color, not quite purple and a little more pink. It's pretty and that's fine, but I still wish this had stayed purple.

By the way, this orchid/pink is bright, but slightly more muted in person.




Three coats with SV.








As you can see, this would be a perfectly serviceable color if it didn't blend into my complexion. Up close, it looked fine; when I held my hand out maybe a foot away from me, YUCK. I think it would be stunning on someone whose skin tone is a little more pronounced than mine -- ladies with paler or darker skin tones could rock this. It kind of dies on me a little.

The good news is that the formula was great, and easy to work with. Frolic dries a bit matte -- not completely matte, more like semi-matte (think Milani Rad Purple) ... which leads me to believe that while it wasn't a true neon, it contained a good deal of neon pigment. Dry time was fast with SV, and I had no chips or noticeable tip wear for the day I wore it.

I did a little sleuthing online, and Frolic is in the Orly core line at Ulta. Next time I drop in, I'm definitely going to have to take a closer look at this polish to make sure it's really purple and that I have a freak bottle! This came from Sally's, and truly, it WAS purple then.

If you have Frolic, does your bottle look like this, or the original shade of purple? Or rant to me about polishes that have changed color over the years ... or your frustration with Ticketmaster, grrrr. And which would you rather see first: Fresh, or Sweet Peacock? I'll blog y'alls pick next week. :) Thanks!

8 comments:

  1. UGH I WANNA SEE NMH I AM SO JEALOUS UGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGH.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still mad that I COULD HAVE GONE TO SEE BILLY BRAGG if my tax return had arrived A DAY EARLY

      sdfaksjd'flskdjf'jfsldkfj'dsfkj

      Delete
  2. How odd - I have both Frolic and Frisky (the lav/pink) that has a touch of shimmer to it from this collection maybe 2 yrs old now and both my shade have stayed true to color. If your Frolic had shimmer to it I would say it looked like Frisky and got the wrong label on it! I hear ya on ticket prices. Gads I used to go all the time everywhere and hop planes between LA and SF to catch this and that concert paying $3-$5 per concert. I can recall when it was an all day outdoor concert with a ton of acts in the 70's it went up to $15 or $22. But this past mo I saw the Stones 2x - I was given a call by an 'insider' at the club venue where they gave an impromptu concert for ~300! I paid nothing for my pass - and was just off stage left...very cool. Then I went to see them a week later at the Staples Center open the 50 and Counting tour - I got comp tickets again and not backstage, but they were $600 tickets! I did pay myself last Jan for Who tickets and paid $450 and by the time I paid for gas, motel and parking it was a really expensive night but a fab concert. I doubt I will get to see the Stone or the Who ever again so it kind of was worth it $ wise. At least the Who despite all the orchestration that was recorded and pipped in sounded better than I ever remember them sounding in the late 60's and 70's when I went to see them often. I have not see Loretta in person for 25 or more yrs! Last I saw her was out summer county fair. Often wish I lived near Nashville which is now like living in LA during the 70's was - you have all kinds of greats showing up to sit in here and there. I also hate Ticketmaster but hate StubHub more. AXS is new to the game (same AXS lke AXSTV is that Ryan Seacrest is part owner of) - AXS is getting into all kinds of areas now and their ticket sales are way better than Ticketmaster.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right, right. I have Frisky and it's pretty much the same as it was the day I got it, so ... wth, Frolic.

      $3-$5 PER CONCERT? Oh my God. And I am so jealous of your comp tickets! Damn!

      Delete
  3. That's so strange :O Completely different! Now it looks sorta like Preamp, but without the shimmer. And as for your next Orly, I vote for Sweet Peacock!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. RIGHT? Preamp came to mind, too!

      Looks like Sweet Peacock is happening this weekend. :)

      Delete
  4. My frolic, which I loved for that beautiful and unique color, has mutated into a full on shocking pink. No joke. Still pretty and very good quality, but the shade is definitely not stable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that is so lame. :( Sorry that happened to you, too -- originally it's such a gorgeous color.

      Delete

Thank you for checking out my little nail blog! I do read and appreciate your comments and/or feedback, although it might take me a few days to get back to you. Time-sensitive inquiries should be directed to my e-mail address (rachswatched@gmail).

Please be polite and respectful when responding to others' comments in a post; if you are rude, I will delete your comment and Hannibal Lecter will eat you. Please don't leave spam comments with blog links -- it's tacky and I don't do it. Neither should you.