Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Pretty Serious (Glitter Gradient Fail) with Daphne's Birthday Party & The Pink One

Welcome to the umpteenth Pretty Serious Daphne's Birthday Party post you'll see today!


Yay! Daphne, by the by, is the Pretty Serious mascot. She's one stylish lady!


Only, this one is a really sad attempt at a glitter gradient. I'm pretty sure there's a reason people don't exactly do glitter gradients over neon polishes, but damn it, I wanted to try! I also have to say that these photos make this experiment look like a hot mess -- I promise it wasn't so harsh in person. I wanted to layer Daph over Pretty Serious Poltergeist Puddle, but The Pink One was my NOTWeekend and I couldn't bring myself to remove it.

And that, friends, explains this ridiculousness.




Three coats of Pretty Serious The Pink One + Daphne's Birthday Party + SV.









... yeah, that's pretty bad, isn't it? That does not even remotely resemble a glitter gradient. You guys, I spent a couple of afternoons last week practicing (with AND without a sponge), and I thought I had it after attempt number 3. So I slapped on The Pink One for the weekend and figured I'd recreate the magic yesterday afternoon. Only, you know, no magic. :(

Color-wise, I am in LOVE with Daph. She's everything I wanted OPI Rainbow Connection to be -- I think the OPI contained more silver glitters and different sizes of hexes, and its colored glitters weren't as vibrant as the Pretty Serious. On the flip side, my bottle (of Daph) could have used a wee bit of thinner, since it seemed to go gloopy on me. Oh, and dry time was great!

I'll probably do a post on The Pink One in a few weeks because it's my new favorite Pretty Serious and possibly my new favorite pink. I even went so far as to declare that it was 2013 Top 20 material -- it's THAT good. Look at that neon hawtness. The color on my monitor is spot on, btw. I got craptons of compliments wearing it last weekend. It wore like a champ, but we'll talk about that another day.

As of this post, Daphne's Birthday Party is available at the Pretty Serious shop ($9.95 USD) and via Llarowe ($12); The Pink One is sold out on both sites. Just remember that if you get Daph -- which you should -- thin it after you've used it once.

Also, if you have a favorite glitter gradient tutorial, you should probably share that with me in the comments, por favor. I could practice more ... or I can learn a new way to do it that isn't a fail whale. And let me know what you think of Daphne's Birthday Party and The Pink One! 

I think out of all the niche brands that are out right now, Pretty Serious is the one that's going to get a LOT of my money! Kaz's blog, Pretty Random, was one of the first nail blogs I started reading back in the day, and it's been such a trip to be able to give her my money watch the brand grow in the past year. Plus, it doesn't hurt when a brand's customer service is the total package -- professional, friendly and humorous with a slice of nerdy (a major bonus)! I can't wait to see the new Hit the Road polishes, and for whatever Pretty Serious has in store. :)


In other news, I hope everyone had a great Mother's Day weekend. My mom was out of town, so I spent the morning snuggling with Sterling Meowlory Archer and the rest of day hanging out with one of my best friends, talking about her wedding plans and watching "Dexter." It was a lot of fun.

I wished I'd thought to post a photo of myself with my mom just like every other person on Facebook did on Sunday, but you guys know I'm late to everything except ONTD "Game of Thrones" party posts (and even then ...).
 
SO, here's a picture of my mom and me at Disney World in 1987. I don't understand why people take their babies to Disney World, because it's not like the babies will remember it. In my parents' case, I'm guessing it was because they had been living in America long enough to use their sole offspring as an excuse to visit one of the most famous theme parks in the world.




Please take note of my mom's shorts in this photo, legit in 1987. Now fast forward to me in 1997, having to wear them because nothing else fit my freak body -- I was too chubs for the regular juniors' sizes, and unfortunately misses' and women's sizes, matronly as they were, were all that would fit me. Luckily things are a lot less traumatic now, but Jesus, no wonder I have such an uneasy relationship with fashion.

All right, I'm out. Thanks for reading! The Orly posts will resume later this week. :)

12 comments:

  1. Whoaaa. That is one hell of a pink. I don't even like pink, but I love that! And I feel you on the glitter gradients, they are just impossible for me. Love the baby picture, that is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG NAZ., it IS a hell of a pink! I really think you would werk this one.

      I don't understand how people have flawless glitter gradients EVERY TIME. I thought I had it after Attempt #3!

      Thank you! :)

      Delete
  2. Nice, The Pink One is so lovely on you too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kristy! Your pics convinced me to buy it. ;)

      Delete
  3. I...really don't know what you're talking about re: gradient fail. There's more glitter at the tips and then it gets less, which = gradient, no? I think it looks really good! I'm also obsessed with that pink now and I'm so not a pink person. How many coats did it take to get opaque? I have a few ancient neon pinks but they're all really sheer which stops me from wearing them when I get the desire for pink once in a blue moon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you! I don't know, the gradation doesn't look that defined to me. I did better last week, haha!

      Girl, you NEED that pink. I need like ... so many backups of it. This was 3 coats, but you're totally good at 2!

      I kind of hate how the older neons were so thin, but when I got them to look good, they were awesome. Which older neon pinks do you have?

      Delete
    2. My old ones are mostly Sinful Colors, and I have a Butter London neon glittery polish and a Priti NYC neon pink creme, but both are also sheer and I don't have the patience to do a layer of white, then three additional coats of pink to get a non-streaky finish...sigh.

      Just ordered The Pink One and Daphne's Birthday party right now, actually, suuuuuper excited :)

      Delete
    3. Oh, I totally feel your pain. Did you ever try China Glaze Pool Party? Essie Lights and Orly Beach Cruiser from last year are great neon pinks, if you're looking to add more to your collection.

      Yay! You'll love them! :)

      Delete
  4. Wait! What the eff is that pink?!? I feel like I need it....I would look for the name, but I might be a bit to hammered to remember it. lol....seriously, google "summer beer", it is game changing for us girls that like our alcohol.

    BTW, I'm pretty sure that it's mandatory for parents to take their kids to Disney ______ when they're babies. Lord knows I don't remember my first trip to Disney Land.

    (Dude, it's pretty shameful that it took 15 minutes for me to post this...lets just say there were lots of errors in there prior to posting......)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LMFAO, I love drunk Angie.

      It's called The Pink one. Great name, yes?

      IDK, if I ever have to have kids, we're not hitting Disney World when they're babies. And if I'm there, they're gonna be with a sitter or something -- if I get drunk enough, I won't remember it, either?

      Delete
    2. OMG, I'm so embarrassed I drunk commented you!! (wouldn't be t first time BTW....). I just remember lots of spelling errors, lol.

      Anyways, that pink IS really lovely, and its my kinda pink. Will have to remember that since I would LOVE some Pretty Serious polishes! Will have to make an order soon.

      Delete
    3. LOLLLLLLLLLLL, don't worry about it!

      It'll be back in stock on Friday, just fyi. ;)

      Delete

Thank you for checking out my little nail blog! I do read and appreciate your comments and/or feedback, although it might take me a few days to get back to you. Time-sensitive inquiries should be directed to my e-mail address (rachswatched@gmail).

Please be polite and respectful when responding to others' comments in a post; if you are rude, I will delete your comment and Hannibal Lecter will eat you. Please don't leave spam comments with blog links -- it's tacky and I don't do it. Neither should you.