Friday, June 28, 2013

Calm Yer Tits!, Google Reader edition

As you know, Google Reader will be retired on July 1, which is a pretty ludicrous concept to me and to my friends, online and off. I'm still incredibly pissed off about it.

Just think: Google is keeping Google Plus, yet they're retiring Google Reader? THE FUCK?! To quote my friend Janice, Google Plus is the "fetch" of Google products -- they need to stop trying to make it happen, because it's not going to happen (if we can help it).

Google Friend Connect is NOT going away, but it wouldn't surprise me if they tried to do away with it entirely. After all, it's been long discontinued on all non-Blogger blogs. The best thing about GFC is that you're able to see who's following your blog -- which for me is crucial when it's giveaway time. So if you're not following Stuff on GFC, please consider it! I would love that. I always get excited when I see new readers. :)

And if you're still not subscribed to Stuff on Bloglovin', please do so! Bloglovin' is the best way to keep tabs on Stuff, IMO. (I would have told you guys to go Team Facebook, except there's a Bloglovin' widget that will auto-publish your posts to Facebook.)

TIP: If you search "stuff i (s)watched" on Bloglovin', you'll find this blog. Those parentheses, yo!

There's a Bloglovin' button on the top of the righthand column on Stuff. Click on that and it'll take you to my Bloglovin' page, which looks like this:


Yeah, I had roughly 20 tabs open that day.
LOOK AT ALL THAT DIY I'M DOING FOR YOU, KRYSI. LOOK AT IT.


I only have two problems with Bloglovin':
  1. I can't see the names of my ALLLLLLLLLLLLL my Bloglovin' subscribers. I wanna know who you are! :(
  2. If I derp and need to change the URL of a post, the new URL won't re-post to Bloglovin'. You see an error message instead, and ... yeah. I'll just have to be extra mindful of this issue from here on out.

You also can subscribe to my RSS feed, as well as via e-mail. Both widgets also are located at the top of the right column of the blog. There's also Facebook (which I haven't done much with lately -- bad blogger, I know), and Feedly is great (though I haven't customized it 100% to my liking yet) -- so Bloglovin' really is your best bet right now.

So come join the Bloglovin' party, and stick around here! I always enjoy sharing part of my day with you, and I hope you feel the same way when you read my blog.

My best kitty friend joins me in thanking you for your time and compliance. Have a good weekend! Come back for a "Dexter"-centric post on Sunday. :)




6 comments:

  1. I am with you - dislike Bloglovin....I am not good about looking at my RSS either. I used by email now and the blogs I want to get who won't add email...well I put them on Bloglovin - but well they get over looked. I don't like going to BL and what you see there unless I open each one - takes way too much time. I also don't like the little thumbnails of a tish of the new blog on their email daily notices (that come in late - often a day late and arrive middle of my night PT zone. Yeah - email seems to work best. I don't use FB anymore - takes too much time and I don't need to share my life with zillions. Twitter - fine for following a live event - other times waaaay too much goes by - way too many tweets even if I only follow maybe 100.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't say I disliked Bloglovin', only the two things I mentioned in the post because they're an inconvenience to me. Other than that, I think it might be the best way to go.

      Maybe you should look into giving Feedly or The Old Reader a try!

      Delete
  2. The bummer I'm having is when you followed a blog with GFC, it automatically showed up in Google Reader. Now there really is no reason to follow a blog because it won't show in your reader anymore. I follow lots of blogs that I didn't 'follow' via GFC. So I bet they do get rid of it since it really doesn't mean what it used to. I am not a bloglovin fan because you cant do oldest post first. I want to read in that order not newest first. I am usually days behind and don't want to read backwards. I am doing Feedly, but having issues with my comments actually showing on the blog after I've left one. The whole thing just sucks if you ask me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like I said, it wouldn't surprise me if Google did away with GFC entirely. If I weren't a blogger, I don't think I'd care ... but how in the fuck else are we supposed to keep track of our readers? Do we just ... not?

      Have you tried The Old Reader? Supposedly it's a good alternative.

      Delete
  3. I am also bummed about the demise of Google Reader. That's the main way I keep up with blogs and while I plan to switch over completely to BL, I don't like it as much as Google Reader. I reaalllyyy hope they never do away with GFC (although as others have mentioned, now it's kind of invalidated by the absence of Google Reader) but I like to see my followers and as you said, it's invaluable for giveaways! I could not agree more about Google Plus. No one wants to use your crappy Facebook Junior, Google. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THIS COMMENT, 100%. Ugh Chelsea, you know my feels. :(

      Delete

Thank you for checking out my little nail blog! I do read and appreciate your comments and/or feedback, although it might take me a few days to get back to you. Time-sensitive inquiries should be directed to my e-mail address (rachswatched@gmail).

Please be polite and respectful when responding to others' comments in a post; if you are rude, I will delete your comment and Hannibal Lecter will eat you. Please don't leave spam comments with blog links -- it's tacky and I don't do it. Neither should you.