Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Nubar Pasadena Purple + bonus RVA!

If loving jewel-tone shimmers in the summer is wrong, I don't want to be right.

Here's the first of two jewel-tone shimmers in my unswatched NOTD line-up. Sorry if the pictures are the suck, I'm a little over 2 weeks out of practice and I wasn't feeling well when I took these. (Summer colds are THE WORST.) And wow, sorry about the mess of polish around my cuticles and index finger. Did not even see that until I saw the pics. :(




Three coats with SV. Sorry about the bubbles, too. My SV is dying for some thinner.







These last two photos were a bit doctored to get the purple to look warmer ...





Since it's got tiny pink shimmer particles, Pasadena Purple is warmer than a lot of the big purple metallic shimmers out now, but that's OK. A good quality purple like this was kind of a PITA to find back in '09 when I started collecting for some reason; the big ones that are out now tend to lean cooler and more blue. So Pasadena Purple is nice for a change!

Especially with its formula -- holy crap. Most purple shimmers from back in the day had a tendency to be thin and watery and required at least four coats to start looking like anything, so when this polish only needed two to be opaque, I was EXCITED. I don't think Pasadena Purple is an exact dupe for China Glaze Coconut Kiss, but it's what I wanted Coconut Kiss to be in terms of both color AND formula. Dry time was quick with SV and I wore this for five days with average tip wear and small chips on a breakage-prone finger.

I first became aware of Pasadena Purple during ALU's heyday in '09 -- I looooooved Michelle's "Get the Look" feature, even if I didn't care about the movies that brought them the hype -- and discovered that Ginny Goodwin's character in "He's Just Not That Into You" wore this polish. I got my bottle of Pasadena Purple in a semi-recent swap, but you can pick it up on byNubar for $8. It was part of the California Dreamin' collection for Summer 2009, which feels like a lifetime ago, even if jewel tones for summer are ~timeless. I can't get enough of this polish -- I wore it once last month, removed it, and put it back on.

Pasadena Purple is not the only thing Ginny Goodwin has prompted me to try. I mentioned last week in Naz's amazeballs guest post that GG was in Richmond last month shooting a NatGeo movie called "Killing Kennedy"; she tweeted this about a local restaurant:


(source: GG Twitter)


So what did I do last Wednesday? Why, go to Bistro Bobette, of course. (I know, so original.) My friend Chels and I had just finished a two-hour trolley excursion of historic downtown Richmond and we were STARVING, plus I'd parked my car in a garage conveniently close to the restaurant, so I invited my roommate and my friend Jenn to come along, too.

I'm not exactly a Thrifty McCheapskates, but I'm not a high roller either, so when I want to try a new place downtown (or anywhere), I do my best to make it for lunch. For one thing, the traffic and parking situations aren't so bad at lunch since it's basically only the med and dental schools; for another, lunch menus offer a good sample of the overall fare and don't cost half as much as dinner might.

I have no pictures, but trust me, the restaurant is adorable and the service was good. (My friend Jenn had been recognized by one of the owners -- I think that's who it was -- she's been trying to set up a sort of arrangement with her business. This probably had nothing whatsoever to do with why we had such an agreeable visit, but I'm noting it anyway.) I mulled over the grilled portabello tartine, the triple cut burger, and the bistro steak for a while, ultimately settling on the bistro steak with the truffle mac and cheese as my side. THEY WERE DELICIOUS. Filling, but not to the point where you need to loosen your belt and get wheeled to your car. The restaurant closes at 2:30 to prepare for their dinner hours, and I think the four of us were there until almost 3, but we weren't rushed out, so that was nice. I want to go back to try Jenn's dish, the sauteed calf liver, so ... I'M COMIN' FOR YOU, TASTY NOMS.

Anyway. I'm not a foodie. I don't have the palate for it, and my budget is definitely more oriented toward arts and entertainment. But I know a good time when I have one, and Bistro Bobette was such a fun time. If you're in the Richmond area, their lunch hours are 11:30 to 2:30 on Tuesdays through Fridays. I know the construction downtown is a pain in the ass, but parking wasn't too bad for us last Wednesday, so you have no excuse to get down there. :)

Oh, and here's a couple of pictures from the trolley tour. I got a Groupon deal for half off a tour, so at least Chels was able to get some super touristy sightseeing in and not just "OH HERE ARE MY FAVORITE PLACES." I'm slightly curious to know if a competing company offers a more thorough trolley tour, though, because things felt a bit ... glossed over; there's a LOT of ground to cover, so two hours might not be enough. Other than that, I won't lie, it's fucking nice to let someone else do the driving for once.

Another note: That trolley tour was kind of eye-opening in the sense of "OH MY GOD. I have basically lived up and down the tour route since 2005." Ridiculous. But also, college.


Historic Tredegar and Brown's Island

Our trolley stop at Libby Hill Park




Yes, that is a tennis racquet in Arthur Ashe's left hand and a book raised in his right, and why the Arthur Ashe monument will never NOT be the best monument on Monument Avenue.


My friend E was the Arthur Ashe monument for Halloween one year ... BEST COSTUME EVER.

More NOTD catch up and touristy pictures of my city will be up soon, so thanks for reading and keep an eye out for those posts. :) Any thoughts on Pasadena Purple? Where do you take friends when they visit your city?

8 comments:

  1. Aah! I don't know why, but Pasadena Purple is probably in my Top 20. Odd, since I usually gravitate towards vampy purples, but PP is just so glowy.

    And truffle mac and cheese...mmm. Have you ever tried Evol's in the frozen foods section - it's pretty awesome for the price.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooooh, I would LOVE to see your Top 20! You'd probably have some awesome picks in there!

      I have not tried Evol's, but thank you so much for mentioning it -- I'll look for it the next time I don't feel like slaving away over the Le Creuset. :D

      Delete
  2. Wow, this is a gorgeous purple! I love how it glows. Sadly, I haven't tried this one or any Nubar polishes for that matter. I should change that though. Speaking of Ginnifer Goodwin, I love her in Once Upon A Time. It's one of my favorite shows. He's Just Not That Into You was a cute movie too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Melissa! Yes, you should try some Nubar. I feel like they don't get as much exposure as they should, but I'll try to post more of the few I DO have.

      Yeah, most of her filmography is extremely not my thing. She's adorable, though. I remember when she was on "Ed," and I loved her in "Big Love."

      Delete
  3. Okay, I know I've been saying that I'm not crazy about purples lately, but DAAAAAAMN. And that food sounds amazing :O

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Uh, yeah. This purple was the shit. This bottle is already close to 1/3 empty!

      Oh, I'm sure you've got some tasty options where you are, but if you want to make a weekend trip ... ;) I have my apartment until the beginning of September! ;) ;) ;)

      Delete
  4. Awww I totally remember that ALU post about this polish! I haven't been into purples that much lately (which is weird for me), I should pick this up this weekend on my nail supply store excursion.

    Also, maybe this is weird but I just love your nails! They're the perfect length/shape!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Riiiiiiiiiiight? I loved that blog!

      I can't remember, are you a purple lover? If you are, then this ... you need this!

      Thank you! You made my weekend. <3

      Delete

Thank you for checking out my little nail blog! I do read and appreciate your comments and/or feedback, although it might take me a few days to get back to you. Time-sensitive inquiries should be directed to my e-mail address (rachswatched@gmail).

Please be polite and respectful when responding to others' comments in a post; if you are rude, I will delete your comment and Hannibal Lecter will eat you. Please don't leave spam comments with blog links -- it's tacky and I don't do it. Neither should you.