Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Pink Wednesday: OPI Steady As She Rose (a.k.a. A QUEEN LORETTA LYNN POST)

You know, when I bought my Loretta Lynn ticket at the 9:30 Club back in May, I felt as though July would never come. But it's over, and I finally can say I've seen her live in concert. --Yes, she was Bucket List status.

I mean, when you think about her fifty-year career, how could she not be?


This was either "You're Lookin' at Country" or "Blue Kentucky Girl" ...
but I want to say it was the former


Believe me, I fully recognize the UTTER. ABSURDITY. of being a chubby, 5'3" Asian girl at a concert celebrating fifty years of country music history ... but let me tell you something!

One -- and this is something even my boyfriend says I should never disclose ... whoops -- my parents were HUGE "Lawrence Welk Show" devotees when my sister and I were little. Every Saturday night, our family would get in front of the TV to watch it on PBS, and we recorded it on the VCR (ha!) if we were going to miss it. As corny as that show was, it introduced me to so many kinds of music. My favorite shows were Disney-, Broadway-, or country-themed. I know, I was so weird.

Two, my mother hated ironing (she still does), and she found that ironing with music on made the chore more tolerable. Between this and the program that shall not be named, I was exposed to The Beatles, Henry Mancini, Broadway classics, American songbook standards, '70s rock, folk and soul hits (Ambrosia's "How Much I Feel" and Bread's "Lost Without Your Love," Y'ALL.) ... and classic country. Outside of Shania, I can't take this pop country business that I noticed during my childhood -- give me classic country any day.

Two-point-five, and this has nothing to do with Loretta Lynn -- everyone knows Patsy Cline, but you really haven't heard "Crazy" until you've heard your questionably sober Filipino aunties sing it on karaoke. Janice knows what I'm talking about.

Before I get into more about music and the show, let's ogle this lovely OPI, shall we?




Three coats with SV.

My cutes look rough, and I'm sorry. I have been pretty preoccupied with other things and I've neglected them. :(








Steady As She Rose is one of those polishes that looks different on everyone who wears it, but in the best possible way. It's a dusty, greyed-out pastel pink with a hint of lavender that doesn't pull too cool on me -- the perfect neutral shade. I made sure to keep this polish on all weekend so I could show it to Krysi and get her approval for a potential bridesmaid mani choice, since she wants us wearing neutrals. (This passed. A lot.)

The formula on this wasn't the best OPI's ever done with a pastel, but it's far from the worst. I got this opaque in two coats, although I needed a third for it to level. Dry time was good with SV, and I had this on for nearly five days with minimal tip wear and two chips on my peelie-prone finger. If I didn't have to do a guest post for a friend -- I'll share a link when it's up -- this would have stayed on for a whole week, I liked it that much.

Steady As She Rose was part of OPI's "Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides" tie-in collection from two summers ago. Don't get me wrong, the colors were gorgeous, but pastels don't exactly scream JOHNNY DEPP IS JACK SPARROW FOREVER. I think you still might be able to score this online and at beauty supplies, or through the odd blog sale, so be sure to check for it.

And now we've come to the part of the post where I tell you why I picked this polish to wear last Friday. I'm totally reaching here, but its name reminded me of The Raconteurs' song, "Steady As She Goes"; The Raconteurs formed after Jack White produced and collaborated with Loretta Lynn on "Van Lear Rose." A few future Raconteurs were the DoWhaters, Lynn's "Van Lear Rose" band.

"Van Lear Rose" is one of my favorite CDs, you guys. Ugh. It's been almost ten years since it was released, and it's still so good. She didn't perform any songs from that album last Friday, but she did mention Jack White. Specifically, she said, "I think next time I should bring him back with me," and the crowd went BERSERK. I did. God, that would be so epic.

Apart from the songs on "Van Lear Rose," she managed to cover her most iconic songs in a 75-minute set, beginning with "They Don't Make 'Em Like My Daddy" and ending with "Coal Miner's Daughter." She also did my favorite, "Don't Come Home A Drinkin'"! A friend joked with me that her set was taking place past her bedtime, and I'll tell you what ... for an 81-year-old, she sounded great. She had to take a break and sat two songs out, but her band picked up the pace with some George Strait? George Jones? (oh damn it, I don't remember) and didn't lose a beat. Between her band members and her kids, she's got solid back-up.


Peggy and Patsy (a.k.a. The Lynns) warming up the crowd and opening for their mom

She did two Conway Twitty songs with her bandleader.
I WANT to say this was "Lead Me On."
I DO know the second song was "Louisiana Woman, Mississippi Man."


I really can't remember what this song was. 
But who cares, because I probably knew the lyrics, LOL.


Her gown made it damn near impossible for anyone to get good photos on their smartphones, especially people like me who were snapping from a distance. The only other performer I've seen live who was this sparkly was Liza Minnelli (of course). So if you're after better pictures of Loretta Lynn's gown and an accurate write-up of the concert, you should read this piece on The Vinyl District. (It includes her hilarious bit about "Fist City" and its, erm, inspiration. READ IT.)

As I left the venue and headed back to the Metro, I found myself walking behind two guys who were about my age. They were ranking their favorite Loretta Lynn songs from her set, and I had to crack a smile when I heard one of them say he loved that she did "Fist City." His friend agreed that there was something incredible about hearing her in person. I had had a few beers before the concert, but that didn't change that I shared their sentiments.

Any thoughts on this OPI or OPI: POTC? Any faves from that collection? If you enjoy classic country, who are your favorite artists? What are your most embarrassing musical influences/discoveries? And lastly, I'd love to hear about who's on your concert bucket lists. Ryan Adams is my white whale, but when all is said and done, Dolly Parton better tour sometime in the next year. The end.


P.S. Do you guys have Uber in your city? I had my first Uber experience going a few blocks from my friend's apartment in Dupont Circle to the 9:30. She was waiting on someone else to get to her apartment and so our initial plan of walking together to Columbia Heights kind of died, but then she said, "Let me Uber you a ride. It'll be my treat." "Okay?" (beat) "I don't even know what that is." Uber is an app you can link to your credit card, and once you plug in your pick-up and destination points, it automatically charges your card for the ride, plus the tip for the driver. Pret-ty neat. I got to the 9:30 Club WAY faster than I would have had I walked or Metro-ed into U Street, so ... thanks, 33! Texas Forever.

P.P.S. B DVRed "POTC: On Stranger Tides," and I attempted to watch it with him last Saturday. It was such a first world struggle because the movie didn't hold my attention beyond the random but delightful Judi Dench cameo. (Also, I may have been texting three people while trying to convince SMA that my lap was a good place to catnap.) But my point is, this movie was so damn unnecessary. As we just witnessed via the fail train that was "The Lone Ranger," Johnny Depp needs to quit playing variations of Jack Sparrow. I LOVED the first POTC movie, and really don't GAF about the rest. But if the next POTC movie brings me polishes like Steady As She Rose, Stranger Tides and Skull & Glossbones, I probably won't complain.

P.P.P.S. B and I highly endorse "The Wolverine." It's the movie that should have come out four years ago! I'm not overly familiar with the source material, but I loved how self-contained it was, compared to most superhero/comic-based sequels. And if you decide to watch it, stay for the credits.

7 comments:

  1. Damn Filipino's and their karaoke! Someone always drags out the crazy Filipino karaoke...someone even brought it to my cousin's wedding last year in Tahoe.

    And I didn't know you were 5'3" too! I'm the tallest lady on my Filipino side...which I think is hilarious. My aunts are always commenting at how tall I am. I'm a fucking giant I tell you!

    OMG, I can't believe I'm telling you this, but I don't know who Loretta Lynn is. I know I've heard the name...I grew up on The Beatles, Billy Joel and Cat Stevens, and lots of hippy 70's music. Ahh, good times, good times!

    Anyways, this color looks lovely on you! It really is neutral isn't it? Is this not core? I thought it was. And I heart Stranger Tides (the polish not the movie) hardcore! It really was a great collection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LMAOOOOO, Angie. Even my army brat friends know that a Filipino party isn't a party without the karaoke machine! (Complete with the DUMB backgrounds, of course.)

      Yeah, my sister is taller than me. I think she's 5'5". *sigh*

      Oh, you've probably heard her. Maybe I need to make you a ridiculous CD! ;)

      Thanks! I don't think it's core, which is a total shame because it looks gorgeous on everyone who's worn it! They did keep it in-store for a good while after its initial debut, though. :/ Maybe I'll blog Skull & Glossbones before the end of the year so I can wrap that collection up.

      Delete
    2. OMG, I totally thought it was just my aunts karaoke that had the stupid backgrounds! Totally irrelevant to the songs! LOL!

      Delete
  2. I saw The Wolverine last night and while it wasn't my favourite of all the Wolverine movies, it was entertaining and...I love Nihon!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, I'm curious to know why! (Feel free to email me if you don't want to spoil anyone.) I thought it was waaaaaaaaaay better than the origins movie that came out back in '09 -- that movie was trying to do too much, and it showed.

      Delete
  3. I love your style. I came across your blog tonight researching another polish and thought about checking out your blog and love love love that you are a Loretta Lynn fan. I too grew up watching the Lawrence Welk Show with my parents. I would dance around the room with my mother and we would sing and carry on. Good times :) And I saw Loretta a few years back and just an FYI, she always wears big fancy glittery dresses. Every single performance as far as I know. I've seen her a few times and she never disappoints. I love some Jack White and those two together was epic. I wish they would do another duet.
    I just started following you on bloglovin and thanks for a good post before bed. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! It's great to hear from another LL fan -- I just found out that she's receiving the Presidential Medal of Freedom, how rad. As for the sparkly dresses, I'd expect nothing less from her, haha.

      I'm so glad you found me! Thanks for the comment and the follow -- you made my weekend! -- and I hope to hear from you again soon. :)

      Delete

Thank you for checking out my little nail blog! I do read and appreciate your comments and/or feedback, although it might take me a few days to get back to you. Time-sensitive inquiries should be directed to my e-mail address (rachswatched@gmail).

Please be polite and respectful when responding to others' comments in a post; if you are rude, I will delete your comment and Hannibal Lecter will eat you. Please don't leave spam comments with blog links -- it's tacky and I don't do it. Neither should you.