Friday, July 19, 2013

MURICA! Sally Hansen Complete Salon Manicure Blue My Mind

Before I show you some peekchurrs of my new favorite blue, you should know that this is going to be a long post. The good news is that this is the last of my NOTD catch-up posts; the bad news is that unless I can scrounge something up, I won't be posting until midway through next week at the earliest. So because I'm really into overcompensating, I'll include a butt ton of MURICA-centric pictures in this post, which works out since this polish was my Fourth of July NOTD.

The reason for no new posts is simply this: I'm co-hosting my friend's bridal shower tomorrow (Saturday, eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek). My fellow bridesmaids put me in charge of decorations (eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek), and every spare moment I've had in the past month has been spent attempting to emulate Martha Stewart. I'll share photos of my endeavors after the shower, since the bride-to-be reads this blog. ;)

The bride-to-be is one of my best friends from college -- in fact, she helped me choose the first polish I bought! She also happens to be a pretty darn good couponer. Back in May, she gave me about six or seven nail polish coupons. One of them was a coupon for $4 off a Sally Hansen polish, and although I waited until the last day I could redeem that coupon, there was no way I wasn't using it.

As we know, Sally Hansen revamped and reformulated the entire Complete Salon Manicure line earlier this year. I've got five of the new Complete Salon polishes and didn't think I *really* needed another, but this $4 off coupon sucked me in. I was interested in only two polishes; despite not being the most unique in color or name, Blue My Mind won out.

A note about these pics: I had to adjust the color a bit to get it right. My photos were so washed out, you wouldn't have seen how vibrant Blue My Mind truly is. I hope you'll forgive me.




Three coats with SV.








Ohhhhhh myyyyyyyyy geeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrd. Is it a dupe for anything? Maybe, but I don't know for certain, and I don't care. But THAT GLOW. Even B was impressed.

The formula was pretty wonderful on this, but I'm not going to lie: it smells like blue. You know the smell. Other than that, I have no complaints. I doubled up on base coat and it didn't stain, so I'm happy about that. I wore this for almost a week, because I got sick right after the Fourth of July, and it only chipped on my chiptacular right index finger.

Obviously, you need this polish. I daresay this might knock China Glaze Frostbite off my list of Top 20 material! (I think it's brighter than Frostbite, if you're wondering.) If you are a blue lover, then RUN, don't walk, to your nearest Sally Hansen display and buy this. It's core, so you have no excuse not to scoop it up the next time there's a Sally Hansen deal going on.

Like I said, since Blue My Mind was my Fourth of July NOTD, the pictures I'm about to show you are a little MURICA-centric. I probably sound like a huge dork, but I love living in a state with so much history.

While Chelsea was here, we visited the Virginia State Capitol and the Executive Mansion. I'd never been INSIDE the Capitol because parking downtown scares me sometimes (hello, endless construction + parking meters), so while I was a little sad that we weren't able to get a guided tour, the guide on the 2nd floor was wonderful. Guided tours are the bomb.com -- sometimes the guides share insights you wouldn't be aware of otherwise. Except for Wednesday, it was an annoyingly rainy week, which you can see. (This was on Tuesday, the 2nd.)

Enjoy some statues and busts of dead white dudes.



The reason we missed out on a guided tour ...


If this George Washington (a Houdon!) looks vaguely familiar, 
then it's probably because you saw it in "Lincoln."




This bust of Meriwether Lewis freaked me the FUCK out.




But wait! A painting of every other Richmond news professional's favorite former governor (and former Richmond mayor), who is neither white nor dead:


I figured we had enough time for the Executive Mansion before the meter ran out, so we headed over there in the rain. I had quite a time keeping a straight face in mansion, in light of the current governor's Star Scientific scandal. You can Google that mess. But, quick photos:



I don't know who's in these two paintings because I was busy worrying 
about the parking meter. Oops.
 





Miraculously, B was off for the Fourth, so we went to watch fireworks by the reservoir. The weather was pretty disgusting that day, so while I'm glad we ventured out, I was happy to go back inside for a sandwich and ice cream.





We found out maybe an hour after the fireworks show that a seven-year-old boy had been struck in the head by a "celebratory" bullet some asshole had fired into the air. We were sitting close enough to see the ambulance and police cars rush away, but we didn't know exactly what had taken place. Sadly, the boy died the next day; as far as I know, the person who fired that gun hasn't come forward. I can't even imagine what the family of that child is going through. --Now, I know unfortunate things like this are prone to happen every Fourth of July in crowded places, but this still has me freaked out because the reservoir is such a remote area. It was a shock for a lot of people, and I wonder if security is going to be beefed up next year.

Ugh. People. :(

Closing thoughts: Does Blue My Mind's amazingness make up for its name? Wasn't it perfect for the Fourth? What did you do for the holiday?

Do you have anything good on tap for this weekend? I can't wait to spend some time with my friends and get this bridal shower in the books. I hope everything will look great. We're having the party inside, but please cross your fingers for some decent weather! Take care, and I'll check back in with you next week.


P.S. I have one last set of photos from Chelsea's visit that I think you're going to like the most. :)

8 comments:

  1. Great photo tour...I have never been in any of the VA State Capitol blds...but then I live on the other coast...still never even dawned on me to add it to my list when I have needed to be in WDC or 'round there and could 'do' VA things...really love VA...still sometimes kick myself that I did not take a job offered me eons ago in a different life at Villanova - I know..that's PA but 'round the DC parts in my mind - however always seems easier/faster to visit VA sites from DC then a lot of what I would want to go to in PA. Love Love Blue My Mind - I am a sucker for a great blue - and am pretty sure I never picked this one up...and I should have...it looks great on you. I was not up for doing 4th nail art at all so mine ended up a great red and just a tish of some glitter something on my ring fingers...I have been busy or not feeling great and not into doing art but enjoying my zillions of colors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I kind of get the PA thing. PA has its own history, though, and I'd love to check out some of that!

      Thanks! You should check this one out. Totally amazing.

      Delete
  2. Huge and enthusiastic thumbs up for Houdon. Neoclassicism FTW. Also, that is certainly a lovely blue, despite the blue smell.

    Good luck this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't realize what a HUGE deal it was for the Capitol to have the original until a few years ago. *slaps self*

      I'm glad people in this blogosphere automatically understand what I mean when I say things like, "It smells like blue."

      Thanks, lovely!

      Delete
  3. If it's a dupe for anything, I'd guess it would be OPI Blue My Mind - it looks remarkably similar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could be right! I feel like that's one of the core OPI polishes that doesn't get much love from bloggers/lacquerheads. Know what I mean?

      Delete
  4. Wow, I've never noticed this polish before, but if it beats Frostbite, I'm gonna have to seek it out. It looks amazing on you, as usual. And I can deal with the punny name because it makes me think of "I Just blue myself" from Arrested Development!

    Man, that is a horrible 4th story. What an absolute loser to do something so stupid, and in an instant irrevocably change the lives of strangers.

    Hope the bridal shower was awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to say this is a *pinch* brighter than Frostbite (which is still amazing on its own), and I am SO into bright right now. :D

      It really shook a LOT of people up. I still can't believe something like this happened where it did, nor can I imagine the size of the hole in the victim's family's hearts.

      It was! Thanks, Jennifer!

      Delete

Thank you for checking out my little nail blog! I do read and appreciate your comments and/or feedback, although it might take me a few days to get back to you. Time-sensitive inquiries should be directed to my e-mail address (rachswatched@gmail).

Please be polite and respectful when responding to others' comments in a post; if you are rude, I will delete your comment and Hannibal Lecter will eat you. Please don't leave spam comments with blog links -- it's tacky and I don't do it. Neither should you.