Monday, July 15, 2013

Skinny Dipping (With Friends): Essie Playa del Platinum

Ugh, I hate posting in the afternoon. However, due to computer issues this morning, here we are.

My obsession with milky nude sheers continues, but it occurred to me that (A) I haven't really blogged Essie in a while, and (B) one of the few good things about summer is Essie's summer resort collection. Would you believe that while I own all four polishes in the 2010 Resort Collection, I've only worn ONE of them? Ridiculous.

God, 2010 was like a lifetime ago. But I do remember the day I dragged B to Ulta with me to buy this during an Essie B2G1 sale, back when said Ulta store was the ONLY Ulta in Richmond. (Now there are four. FOUR. I live near one location, and another one is on the way to his house. >___< )

Anyway, Playa del Platinum looks mega-lobstery on me. It isn't. I'm a bit more yellow.




Three coats with SV. Ew, why do my cuticles look so dry?! I promise they weren't.








I think Playa del Platinum is as close as I want a sandy nude to border on greige on my skin tone. For a creme, I think this is pretty complex! It goes from typical sandy nude to greige with a pinch of green, as you can see in the last picture. Because of that green tinge, I wasn't sure if I would like it on me, but after wearing it for two days, I didn't want to take it off. I don't know if that grey/green tinge would work for everyone, but ... it's pretty boss.

The formula on this polish is not the best Essie has ever done, but it's not the worst, either (which I think is something that can be said for Resort 2010 in general). Three thin-medium coats will get it opaque; however, it doesn't self-level, so I needed to break out the SV for this one. Dry time was quick and I had minimal tip wear after two days. I'd like to wear this again for maybe five days to see what happens.

As I said, this was part of the Essie Resort Collection for 2010. I don't think it's a core color any more, although I could be wrong about this. At any rate, it's quite ETF online if you want it.

That's all for today. Do you own any of Essie Resort 2010, or Playa del Platinum? Would you want to try it? Isn't it fun dragging your significant others to places like Ulta? And would you like to see the other polishes I grabbed with the B2G1 deal on the day I bought this?

If you haven't read Anna's post, go do it! Thanks for joining us, and perhaps I'll break out one last summertime milky sheer next month. ;)

8 comments:

  1. I'm wearing this right now! I have to have "grown up nails" this week, so I applied it last night, and am hoping it makes it through Wed or Thurs. It's one of my go-to sandy/nude colors. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, I hope whatever you're wearing this for goes well! (An assumption, because whenever we admit to busting out the nude polish, it's for worky-times, responsible adult reasons.)

      I can't believe it took me this long to wear it. Fo shame!

      Delete
  2. I thought you were living at the Beach? Yes I hate that there are now 4 ultas here-I used to have to plan and go to Short Pump when I needed to have something-now theres one at Virginia Center and that's WAY to close to me. The day they opened I went and spent almost $200 on crap I did not need-but it was close and I felt the pull! HAHA This Essie is not too bad-not sure I'd wear it, but hey at least you finally pulled it out! HAHA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fack no, I don't live in VABeach. I talk about RVA all. the. time. on this blog! But yeah, the Chesterfield Towne Ulta was the only one for a while ... the customer service at that one isn't so great, but the selection isn't as picked over as it is in SPump.

      Oh, I have an appalling number of polishes from 2010 that I haven't worn. Simply appalling.

      Delete
  3. Love this shade...it's a great neutral nudie for me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Nice to know people like this one, esp. since the other colors in the collection seemed to be slightly more popular.

      Delete
  4. This looks waaaaaaaay better on you than it did on me. Work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, friend! If it means anything, Gussied Up Green looked sooooooooo much better on you than it did on me. So there's that.

      Delete

Thank you for checking out my little nail blog! I do read and appreciate your comments and/or feedback, although it might take me a few days to get back to you. Time-sensitive inquiries should be directed to my e-mail address (rachswatched@gmail).

Please be polite and respectful when responding to others' comments in a post; if you are rude, I will delete your comment and Hannibal Lecter will eat you. Please don't leave spam comments with blog links -- it's tacky and I don't do it. Neither should you.