Friday, August 9, 2013

China Glaze Nasty: A great deal, like a Subway gift card.

YOU GUYS. I can't believe this summer is almost over, and I haven't told you about my new favorite summer movie!

When I say "summer movie," I'm actually not referring to some of the Hollywood summer blockbusters I love so much (what UP, "Iron Man" franchise? XOXO). Nope, I'm talking about a [slightly] raunchy comedy you can get on DVD and watch at home that will make you laugh yourself silly over a glass of whatever it is you fancy. Let me give you some examples: In 2001, that movie was "Saving Silverman." In 2004, it was the holy trinity of "Anchorman," "Dodgeball" and "Harold & Kumar Go to White Castle." Last summer, it was "21 Jump Street."

A couple of months ago, I Netflixed "For A Good Time, Call ..." and I LOVED it. WHERE HAS THIS MOVIE BEEN ALL MY LIFE?!?!




Remember when "Bridesmaids" came out two years ago? Or "Pitch Perfect," last year? I didn't like either of them. I was especially disappointed with "Bridesmaids" for some reason. "For A Good Time, Call ..." is everything and what I wanted both those movies to be.

If you weren't feeling the trailer, if you have a more highbrow sense of humor, or if you're expecting something over-the-top raunchy, then this movie probably isn't for you. [NOTE: I name-dropped this after my friend's bridal shower, and surprisingly, the matron of honor's super-traditional Catholic, Italian mom said she liked it. Score!] I loved it so much, I (1) watched it three times before I mailed it back to Netflix, and (2) immediately plotted how to sneak the movie into a blog post.

The answer came in the form of this China Glaze polish. There's a great scene in a nail salon with a huge rack of China Glaze polishes, and although Nasty wasn't used in the movie, its name was too perfect.




Three coats with SV.









Sure, it's a pretty basic color, but I couldn't find too many swatches of Nasty -- All You Desire's swatch is probably the best -- so I figured this would be a decent starting point for anyone who might be interested in it. :) It reminds me a lot of my favorite Deborah Lippmann, Between the Sheets (and its OPI almost-dupe, Ate Berries in the Canaries), only Nasty is more pink, less vibrant, and definitely more of a creme. It dries a little darker on the nail than its bottle color, but I think that's a top coat thing. The formula, dry time and wear on this were perfect, and I wore it for four days with no chips or tip wear. SO GOOD.

I bought my bottle at a dusty for super cheap (every time I'd go there, I'd keep picking this one up and putting it back down), but it's really easy to find online. I didn't know this until earlier in the week, but Nasty was part of the Flirt collection for Spring '05, the same collection fan favorite Spontaneous was from. The name "Nasty" in a Flirt-themed collection is just too hilarious, I have to say.

--Hilarious and hella charming, just like "For A Good Time, Call ..." It only came out last fall, but I wish I'd made more of an effort to see it! I'm a pretty enthusiastic Ari Graynor fan, so I was stoked to see her in a lead role instead of the supporting character she usually plays. Katie, her character in "For A Good Time" is a total riot, but I liked that she had depth as well as a genuine vulnerability that didn't seem forced, which some movies tend to lay on. Plus, Katie's relationship with the Mark Webber character ... oh my God. The best. (Is it me, or is Mark Webber that guy in every movie now?)




The two craziest cameos in the movie were the Kevin Smith (OH SWEET GRILLED CHEESUS) and Seth Rogen ones. At first, I didn't know how the producers had wrangled Seth Rogen until I realized he's married to the film's writer/producer/co-star, Lauren Miller. Derp. Also, Zelda, the precious King Charles spaniel in the movie? It's really their dog. :)

Oddly enough, my favorite aspect of "For A Good Time" was its depiction of female friendship, since not too many movies capture that essence and handle it successfully. The tone of the movie was not too far off from the one most contemporary, mainstream romantic comedies take; the thing "For A Good Time" did differently, though, was change its focus from romance to friendship. This approach worked well, particularly near the end, at which point I was practically in tears from laughing so hard. The end is just great -- I can't tell you enough how much truth there was in it, even if the situation in question was pretty outlandish.

If you can't grab this polish this weekend, at least check out "For A Good Time, Call ..." and report back to me. I don't think it's available on Netflix streaming, but some Redbox kiosks might have it. If you decide to watch it, I'd love to hear what you thought! I really hope someone else enjoys it as much as I did -- as soon as I have disposable income again, I'm totally buying a copy. Just promise you'll watch it sometime, okay?




Have a good weekend, and I'll check back in soon! As always, feel free to share your thoughts on this polish and your favorite summer movies -- blockbuster or comedy, whatever -- I love hearing from you. :)

16 comments:

  1. Looking this up on the Redbox website RN.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will be so sad if you hate it.

      Delete
  2. Oh my gosh, Rach, you kill me, I LOVeD The Bridesmaids!!! It literally makes me cry laughing :). Polish is fabulous, I'll have to pick it up! And I love the name ;))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you need this polish, Gosia!! But yup ... "Bridesmaids" just wasn't for me. The only thing I thought was hilarious was the scene at the bridal shower where she's driving up and gets the pink lemonade and is all, "Damn, that's FRESH" or whatever.

      Delete
  3. I hated Bridesmaids. A comedy that rests on Sookie St. James pooping in a sink is just not my cup of tea. Not even Don Draper could seduce me into liking it.

    Also the first image of that polish looks fucking amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OK good, it's not just me! I think what killed it for me was that it tried so desperately to stay on par with all those "bro" comedies -- "LOOK, WE'RE JUST AS FUNNY AS THOSE DBAGS!" and in attempting that, so many bits fell COMPLETELY flat and I think it defeated the purpose of having female writers. Even puppies didn't win me over. (But Rose Byrne did, kinda.)

      Thank you! It's an awesome polish.

      Delete
  4. What a great color for summer! I love the glossy look!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How do you do this, girl?
    Not only you make me want every single nail polish you swatch, but also my list of movies to see is getting longer and longer with every post of yours :)
    On another note, could you verify/deny if this polish here is China Glaze electrify? http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m7zpnrHZss1qa3kooo1_500.jpg Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, thank you. But you know I'm an enabler, and I'm happy to add to your movie list! ;) That's what I'm here for.

      Yup, that's Electrify on those tips. That's an awesome gradient! Hope I helped. :)

      Delete
  6. Holy wow that China Glaze is gorgeous! I don't think I've seen that color before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is! You should pick it up if you can find it! I have no idea why it doesn't get more attention from bloggers -- it's wonderful.

      Delete
  7. Totally agree with your feelings about Bridesmaids, and I lurve this movie, for the past few months I've been trying to make everyone I know watch it. Also, I've never heard of this gorgeous polish but honestly, I would want it even if it was ugly just because of the name. Amazeballs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. \o/ I love this movie. I'm totally going to buy myself a copy next month, it's that good. :D Did you know that a movie theater chain was giving away a "For A Good Time" prize pack last year complete with 3 bottles of polish? I thought that was funny.

      This color is the business. Maybe I ought to do a giveaway with it.

      Delete
  8. Okay, first, I've never seen Nasty before, and now I must have it! Second, I kept waffling on watching For a Good Time, but now I can check it out with assurance. And third, I so agree with you about the lack of serious female friendships portrayed in media. Despite Ann rarely being great in her own storylines, one of the reasons I love Parks & Rec is the friendship she and Leslie have. I actually did my final project for university on women in/behind television (the representation/numbers are shockingly discouraging), and now that the job thing insists on being lame, I'm thinking of going back to grad school to do further work on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Riiiiiiiiight? I kept picking it up and putting it down until one day I caved.

      I agree with you about Ann Perkins and your final project 100%. It's so disheartening that there aren't enough women out there running things. I totally would if I knew how to ball like a businesswoman-type.

      Delete

Thank you for checking out my little nail blog! I do read and appreciate your comments and/or feedback, although it might take me a few days to get back to you. Time-sensitive inquiries should be directed to my e-mail address (rachswatched@gmail).

Please be polite and respectful when responding to others' comments in a post; if you are rude, I will delete your comment and Hannibal Lecter will eat you. Please don't leave spam comments with blog links -- it's tacky and I don't do it. Neither should you.