Sunday, August 11, 2013

Big, beautiful [blue] sky: Zoya Skylar

First off, special shout out to my friend Krysi for letting me finish this post on her laptop! Thanks, girl. <3

Another important TV premiere post today -- the final eight episodes of "Breaking Bad" start tonight! I blew through three and a half seasons on DVD this year, so I had the benefit-slash-disadvantage of not having to wait for them to air. The show always was on my radar, but I dropped off halfway through the second season for some reason "Friday Night Lights"? "Battlestar Galactica"? "Dexter"? "Big Love"? "The Good Wife"? My epic "Smallville" series marathon with my former roommate? (I had a full DVR back then ...)

But it doesn't matter. I'm here now, I'm all caught up, I'm ready, and if everything has gone according to plan this weekend, Krysi and I are making meth cupcakes this afternoon.

Two things:
  1. See that huge ripped bit of skin on my ring finger? I've never been a nail biter, and I've been taking care of my cuticles, but if I find a hangnail, I will totally pick at it. :( I shouldn't, but I do, and that's what happened on Wednesday. There. Now you know one of my ~secrets.
  2. I'd planned to use a different polish for this post, but it had an annoying brush and wouldn't spread the polish properly. I also couldn't get the photos to turn out the way I wanted to in the time I had to do it, so I said, "F--- it." (I was polishing at 1:30 a.m., which was not the best idea.)

So hello, Skylar (even if the one on the show is "Skyler").




Three coats with Cult Nails Wicked Fast.









This shade of slate blue is tricky for me to pull off. I have shirts in this color, but sometimes I'm not sure if it's something that should be on my nails, you know? After applying two coats of Skylar, I wanted to take it off and scrap this post entirely.

But then I put on Coat Numero Tres, and then I was like, OK, let's see where this goes.

The shimmer is super pretty, dense and delicate at the same time. You definitely wouldn't mistake it for a creme with subtle shimmer. It works nicely against the blue base, I think, and lends it a greener tint that makes this color flattering on more complexions. Polishes with this type of shimmer (not quite a glass fleck or flakie) were A Thing in the spring of last year; the only reason I bought Skylar was because I thought it would be better on me than OPI I Have a Herring Problem and OPI I Don't Give a Rotterdam! I'm still deciding whether to keep this, so I think I'll have to actually wear this as a full NOTD (the photos above were a rare swatch).

Skylar was from last spring's Zoya True collection, and is still ETF online for $8 a bottle. I only picked up three polishes from that collection; I swatched Cho back in January, there's Skylar (obvs) ... and one more I haven't tried or blogged. Sound off if you'd like to see it!

Any thoughts on Zoya Skylar or the True collection? Do you have any cool plans for tonight's "Breaking Bad" premiere? I know I'm not the only one who can't wait to see how everything goes down! I'm also kinda hoping Walt gets his. Damn, that man is a greedy piece of work. Additionally, I may have an interest in Todd's fate because that actor was one of my favorites on "Friday Night Lights." Do you think Saul Goodman deserves his own spin-off series? Also, no lie, part of the reason I'm excited for the show's final episodes is because I'm wondering if Vince Gilligan (the showrunner) is going to visit the Richmond area in the near future. In case he does, I have Questions. (And knowledge of several local bbq joints.)

I'm sure you've seen this video sometime within the past week, but in case you haven't:




Candy Patrol, HAAAAAAAAAAA. Laughing for days.

Over and out. See you for a SUPER ridiculous post in a few days ... I was super distracted while writing this one, and the next one will explain why. :/ Oh, and if our meth cupcakes are successful, there will be pictures. Pics or it didn't happen, right?

4 comments:

  1. I have never seen Breaking Bad but maybe as soon as I finish Dead Like Me, I will watch it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Um, dude. So good! (Both your nails and the latest episode.) I still have to pick up Skylar, but I think you make it work despite potential skintone issues. And, um BB! I was not expecting them to go there so soon - you know what I'm talkin' 'bout! I can't wait to see your cupcakes. My normal viewing buddy was out of town (how dare she!), so I had to squeal with glee all by myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you! You're sweet.

      I KNOW. I KNOW. Neither was I, until I remembered that technically we're halfway through the final season.

      Delete

Thank you for checking out my little nail blog! I do read and appreciate your comments and/or feedback, although it might take me a few days to get back to you. Time-sensitive inquiries should be directed to my e-mail address (rachswatched@gmail).

Please be polite and respectful when responding to others' comments in a post; if you are rude, I will delete your comment and Hannibal Lecter will eat you. Please don't leave spam comments with blog links -- it's tacky and I don't do it. Neither should you.