Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Happy "Hannibal" DVD release day!

Hello, fall! The nights are starting to get chilly here in Virginia, and last weekend I actually had to turn the heat on in my car for the first time this season. You guys. You know I'm not a big fan of summer, but this year, I'm not ready to give up my sundresses or brights. I don't know why. It just feels wrong to me. But maybe this post will be a good segue to my favorite season.

It also serves as a quick reminder that the first season of NBC's "Hannibal" is out on DVD today. :'D I. LOVE. THAT. SHOW. Ugh, I can't wait to hit up Target this afternoon. (I'm so ready for this marathon rewatch, that last weekend I watched "A Royal Affair" to remind myself that Mads Mikkelsen is in fact good at being more than creepypasta, although he's pretty flawless at creepypasta.) Unfortunately, I don't have a picture of myself wearing a flower crown. I've never even worn a flower crown. Will swatches of China Glaze Foie Gras do?




Three coats with SV.







This last picture was taken on Day 2 of 2, if that explains why it looks so banged up here.


I'm a picky eater, so I think this is as close to foie gras as I'm going to get -- the regular version, or, y'know, the people version. (Again I say: THE BEER IS PEOPLE!) Did you know foie gras is illegal in California? Because it is.

I'm a hoor for taupes (unless they don't work with my skin tone), so it's not a surprise that I am in love with this polish. It's unique for a taupe due to its faint purple tones, and I've seen it described as mauve, but it's more taupe on me. This is the sort of thing I would have been all over when I began collecting: a great color with a perfect creme formula, easy to apply and perfectly opaque in two coats. Dry time was fast with this one.

Foie Gras was from last year's China Glaze tie-in collection with "The Hunger Games," but you still should be able to find this online. It's supposed to represent District ... shit, I don't even care, because I didn't like the series, but I freely admit I did find the collection's overall color palette a strange one for a spring release, and an immensely more interesting one than the ElectroPop collection (of which I own six polishes, eek). My bottle of Foie Gras was a gift from my friend Chelsea over at Nailed, and I'm thrilled to have it. For some reason, when I was scouting the Colours from the Capitol collection early last spring, the slot for Foie Gras was empty EVERYWHERE. I remember thinking, "What?! Who else besides me is THAT into taupe?" and after expressing my frustration with not being able to find it, Chelsea surprised me and sent me one. So thank you, Chelsea! :)

In summation: This polish is rad, and "Hannibal" Season One is out on DVD today!

Here are a couple of fun links:
  • The show's official Tumblr
  • Buzzfeed's "The Food Secrets of NBC's 'Hannibal'" 
  • Feeding Hannibal, the official blog of "Hannibal" food stylist Janice Poon. Here's the post with the foie gras ~secrets, from Episode 4-slash-5 (the fourth episode was unaired in the U.S., so what technically is the fifth episode became the fourth aired episode here).

Unless some miracle occurs, I think this will be my last post for a week or so because Krysi's wedding day is almost here! I'm heading to her house on Thursday so we can prep for rehearsal dinner on Friday. Then on Saturday, I'll be trying not to fall out of a horse-drawn carriage or get sloppy before I give my toast. Please wish us all luck, especially the bride and groom!

My aunt is also having surgery on Thursday, so please keep her in your thoughts, if you can. It would mean a lot to me! It's not an emergency procedure, but I'd like for it to be a successful one, all the same.

Thanks for reading! You totally earned this:




FLAWLESS, PERFECT, etc. <3 Go buy the first season. You can thank me later.

1 comment:

  1. I have emerged from my lurker-dom to say that this looks absolutely lovely on you! :) "A Royal Affair" popped up in my Netflix recommendations the other day and I was thinking of watching it. I love me a good period piece. Is it worth seeing?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for checking out my little nail blog! I do read and appreciate your comments and/or feedback, although it might take me a few days to get back to you. Time-sensitive inquiries should be directed to my e-mail address (rachswatched@gmail).

Please be polite and respectful when responding to others' comments in a post; if you are rude, I will delete your comment and Hannibal Lecter will eat you. Please don't leave spam comments with blog links -- it's tacky and I don't do it. Neither should you.