Friday, September 13, 2013

Shopping My Stash: A new series with Short 'n Chic!

There's a really good chance that if you read Stuff, you found it via Short 'n Chic, my friend Stephanie's blog. Short 'n Chic was one of the first nail blogs I read regularly back in the day. I love Steff's taste in polish and the way she writes about her life and whatever she's obsessing over. If you had told me that her blog would be my blog's most popular traffic source, that she and I would become pals and that we would start a joint series together, I would have told you to, uh, shut the front door.

Steff originally brought up the idea of a Shopping My Stash series on her blog back in July, saying that it would be something she would like to do once she was back home in Ohio and could get all her polishes in one place. I half-jokingly offered to join her, and here we are.

Now, what do you get out of this? Well, she and I will be digging through our Helmers (we each have two) once a month for something untried and/or unblogged. Since I'm a glutton for punishment, I'm aiming to blog polishes that are at least two years old. Oh, and we're going to throw in a monthly theme every now and then.

Our theme this month is a "lucky" polish. Here's Orly Lucky Duck from the Birds of a Feather collection from Fall 2011, because I am nothing if not literal. --I mean, I did promise to blog a lucky polish on a Friday the 13th, didn't I? ;)




Three coats with SV.

Also, OMG, I bought this polish a LONG time ago.









Orly makes two of my favorite green cremes, Wandering Vine and Enchanted Forest, so I was hoping I'd love Lucky Duck as much as I love those two. Lucky Duck is GORGEOUS. Are you seeing this?! Ugh. It really bummed me out when I realized, after two days of wearing this polish, that it leaned a tad bit too blue on me for my liking. I'm talking LOBSTAH HANDS, which this last picture sorta hinted at. (Note: If you're in the continental U.S. and want to swap for this, my wishlist and contact info at the top of this blog.)

Formula-wise, this one was on the thin side, but really easy to work with. I'd say it almost reminded me of Essie Going Incognito in that it sorta had this watery quality to it, but it built up nicely to opacity in two coats. I used three because I'm special like that. Dry time was fast and the wear was great with SV for the two days I had this on.

Lucky Duck is still pretty easy to find online, and if you're REALLY lucky, it'll turn up at the odd TJ Maxx. (It's happened in the past ... don't rule it out.) Part of the reason I loved Orly's Birds of a Feather collection as a whole was because you could see their inspirations right away. I totally see the vivid green necks and feathers of mallard ducks in this polish, so well-done, Orly. I have one last polish to try from this collection. Will it make an appearance in a future Shopping My Stash post? Whoooo knows. ;)


Lucky Duck = the same polish from this picture last week


Speaking of Shopping My Stash, I'd love to get some input from you guys about Steff's and my new joint venture. Do you have any suggestions for future themes? Is Lucky Duck lucky enough for ya? Thanks for joining us, and don't forget to check out Steff's post on Short 'n Chic! She's got a real oldie up today, something I've never seen before, and I can't wait to get a good look at it.

Have a good weekend, and I'll see y'all next week!

4 comments:

  1. Girl! Thanks for saying all those nice things up there!

    You know, I never pay attention to Orly. I feel like the last polish I got from that brand was Mirror, Mirror. Which I know I wore in 2009. So, yikes. But I also may have gotten some pastels from the 2010 spring collection? Not sure. I'll have to go through ye ol' Helmer and see what I can find from Orly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's all true! Dead serious. But you're welcome, friend!

      Yes! We'll have do some pastels come spring. ;) I actually really love Orly, but this new bottle makes me question everything, haha.

      Delete

Thank you for checking out my little nail blog! I do read and appreciate your comments and/or feedback, although it might take me a few days to get back to you. Time-sensitive inquiries should be directed to my e-mail address (rachswatched@gmail).

Please be polite and respectful when responding to others' comments in a post; if you are rude, I will delete your comment and Hannibal Lecter will eat you. Please don't leave spam comments with blog links -- it's tacky and I don't do it. Neither should you.