Thursday, October 3, 2013

FingerPaints Plum Startled + a DELICIOUS fall dessert!

I'm not 100% sure if this is going to be the only post I'll have time for this week before I head off to New York, so I thought I'd share something different ... like a recipe. Oooooooh.

I'll briefly say that Krysi's wedding was lovely (I'm now convinced small weddings are the way to go) and I'm so happy for her and her husband to begin their new life together. I didn't fall out of the carriage, my hair was amazing, I ate well, had a wonderfully drunken time with my friends and, like Steff, am hopelessly in love with bed & breakfasts -- but more on that next week!

Right now, though? Check out FingerPaints Plum Startled, the final polish I picked up from last fall's limited edition Fall of Surprises collection. I blogged Fall-ing for You and Fall of Surprises! last year, but for some reason, I didn't get around to wearing or sharing this one.

Shame on me.




Three coats with one coat of Gelous under a top coat (I forget what I used, either SV or NYC GCS).








Would you believe me if I said the jury is still out on this one? I have 2-3 more purple glass flecks I want to try before I decide whether to keep this polish. It's beautiful, but there's something about it that bugs me and I can't quite put my finger on it. Maybe it's the base color -- it's a warm purple jelly, sort of grape-like. The glass flecks appear pink and blue, depending on the angle.

The formula on this baby was glass fleck perfection. My FingerPaints polishes have a tendency to separate, and this one did, just a little bit, but it was nothing rolling the bottle around didn't fix. Dry time with the Gelous + mystery top coat combo was super fast. I only wore this for a day, so I can't speak to wear, though I'm guessing this would have been good for at least three days. (Bless u, Gelous.)

If this post has got you wanting your own bottle of Plum Startled (sorry!), you might have a hard time finding it because this collection was LE. You can track blog sales, or you can pick up for Nicole by OPI Back In My Gloria Days ..., which I *believe* is more of a reddish purple glass fleck than this one.

While we're on the subject of plums ... you wanna know how to make this?




It's super easy. I would say the most difficult part is finding Italian plums, which are only in season during fall.


Italian Plum Torte
 *as seen via the NY Times's Original Plum Torte
You can find instructions for freezing and reheating there.


You will need:


  • ½ cup butter, softened
  • ¾ cup sugar
  • 1 cup all purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 2 eggs, beaten
  • 12 Italian prune plums, halved and pitted
  • cinnamon for sprinkling

Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease a 9"x9" baking pan.
  2. Cream butter and sugar. Mix in flour and baking powder. Slowly add eggs until smooth.
  3. Pour mixture into pan and spread it out evenly. (NOTE: If your mix doesn't look like there's enough, that's okay! Trust me, it'll be fine after it bakes.) Top with plum halves, skin side up:


    I went too hard with the cinnamon in that corner, but it was tasty, damn it.
  4. Lightly sprinkle cinnamon over the plums and dough. Bake for 45-55 minutes. Serve warm with ice cream or frozen yogurt. Pat yourself on the back for a job well-done.

Suuuuuuuper easy. If you're able to find Italian plums and you make this, let me know how it turned out! :D

I'll try to get two posts scheduled for you next week. I should be back to posting on the 14th, after my little getaway. I'm so excited -- the Met Opera's Live in HD season begins this Saturday. I'm going to crash at my sister's place when I get up to the city on Sunday, and we're going to an awesome Julieta Venegas concert on Monday and a Broadway musical on Tuesday. Then when I get back to RVA, I can cuddle with Sterling Meowmeow for a couple of days before the Neutral Milk Hotel show. You guys, I am so ready for this.

My wallet is not. (Of course.)

Anyway, be good, and I'll see you in a few days! Please leave me some comments to come back to, because I definitely will read those while I'm away. :)


P.S. I started watching "Brooklyn Nine-Nine," and I kind of love it a lot. Andre Braugher and Terry Crews are the best. That show is like "Psych" meets "Happy Endings" meets "30 Rock," if that makes any sense. Watch it!

4 comments:

  1. gorg shade - they were out of this when I was looking at my Sally's 4 weeks ago - said they only got 1 bottle of each shade in the collection in! UGH - then said only got 2 bottles of each shade of the ChG fall collection in - all 3 stores within 90 miles of me were in same boat! UGH.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, this came out last year, which is why they wouldn't have had it at Sally's if you went recently. ;)

      Delete
  2. I bought this polish online and was suuuuper excited for it...only to find out that it was DARK. Like, looks-almost-black-and-can-only-see-the-glass-fleck-in-direct-daylight dark. I'm pretty disappointed because I'm not a huge vampy fan, but I'm gonna try rubbing an acetone-dipped Q-Tip over each nail next time I wear it to see if I can get some sparkle to come out, because on you (and all the other swatches I saw online - wtf how did I gets dud bottle?!) it's beautiful and exactly what I wanted!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so crazy that you have a dud bottle. Whaaaaaaaat. :( So, IDEA: If I try another polish and I like it more than Plum Startled, you're welcome to have my bottle!

      Delete

Thank you for checking out my little nail blog! I do read and appreciate your comments and/or feedback, although it might take me a few days to get back to you. Time-sensitive inquiries should be directed to my e-mail address (rachswatched@gmail).

Please be polite and respectful when responding to others' comments in a post; if you are rude, I will delete your comment and Hannibal Lecter will eat you. Please don't leave spam comments with blog links -- it's tacky and I don't do it. Neither should you.