Friday, October 11, 2013

Shopping My Stash: Hello, Halloween!

Welcome to the Halloween edition of Shopping My Stash!

So, we all know Steff LOVES Halloween -- she's in Salem, MA doing Halloween things this weekend, for crying out loud. I, on the other hand, am pretty ambivalent about it. Part of the problem is (1) I never have good costume ideas because I like to riff on Asian characters, and (2) the only person I know who threw a bitchin' Halloween party stopped having them two years ago.

(Confession: The last time I truly was excited for Halloween was back in 2009, when my boyfriend dressed as Han Solo. We went to a party and I had to stay away from him all night because Han Solo = LADY BONER. You guys, it was one of The. Best. nights of my life because even though I was a hot mess that fall, I got to say I was going home with Han Solo. Ugh, it was awesome.)

Halloween nail polishes usually don't excite me, either. For the most part, they tend to be glittery variations on black, orange, lime green or even purple, so I always skipped them ... until last year. That was when I fell HARD for the Monster Mash collection from Pretty Serious. I didn't buy anything from that collection until well after last Halloween, so ... how 'bout I start showing them to you this year? Sounds good, yeah?

Exhibit One, Viscous Vampire. (I was in the mood for red.)




Three coats with SV.




I like this, but I am not in love with it, simply because most of the red and purple glitter particles sank to the bottom of the bottle. That was disappointing. You can kind of see that in the second, third and fourth photos. Yeah, I could roll the bottle around or leave it upside down before wearing this ... but ... eh. As lovely as Viscous Vampire is, I would prefer what glitter that DIDN'T sink to be bigger.

Buuuuuuuut. The formula was perfect, and this polish practically applied itself. The red jelly base was so gorgeous, and I really hope Kaz decides to make some real jellies in the future. Dry time was fast. As I remember it, this polish didn't dry 100% smooth (more like 90%), so you might want to try using Gelous before top coat, if that sort of thing bothers you enough. It did stain a little bit upon removal, which meant I had to whip out the cuticle remover.

Viscous Vampire -- viscous, *not* "viscious" or "vicious," as I've seen it typed many, many times on other blogs -- currently is out of stock on the Pretty Serious shop, although it's still available at Llarowe for $12 USD. In case you're wondering what prompted me to throw down for this polish, check out my friend Kristy's swatch (and the rest of Monster Mash) at The Polish Haven.

I'm still not completely jazzed about Halloween this year, but this post was a good place for me to try to start. This reminds me ... I've got two other Monster Mash polishes, Mummy Mush and Poltergeist Puddle. Which one would you like me to blog before Halloween? Let me know! Do you have any grand Halloween costume ideas or party plans this year? I'd love to hear 'em. Heck, maybe you can help give me some inspiration. (Ming-na's character in "Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D." is my current frontrunner, despite the fact that I've only seen the pilot.)

Now let's go to Short 'n Chic to check out what seasonal goodness Steff's sharing with us today! Thank you for reading, and we hope you're enjoying shopping our stashes so far. I can't wait to see what next month will bring. :)

Enjoy your weekends, and I'll be back next week with NYC scoop, kitty pictures and concert stories. It will be EPIC, but perhaps not quite as epic as my boyfriend's Han Solo costume. I mean, Han Solo is only the most perfect sassy, intergalactic space hunk dreamboat scoundrel* in the history of ever. If you disagree, I will fight you.



* Yes, I realize that was redundant. But HAN SOLO.

8 comments:

  1. I'm not a huge red polish lover, but this one is really nice! Too bad the glitter was sinking. I hate when that happens. I'm kind of the same way about Halloween. I'm not in love with it, but I don't hate it either. It has to do more with the fact that I'm not a huge fan of scary things. You made me laugh about the Han Solo thing, but I fully agree with you. He's hot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, it's a shame about the sinking glitter! I mean, I could've turned the bottle upside down or something, but ... nope. :-P

      Han always shoots first in my world, if you know what I'm sayin'.

      Delete
  2. I'm still convinced that I'm going to grow up and marry Han Solo someday.

    I am ALL ABOUT Halloween but I'm not dressing up this year because I can't for work (we have a no-holiday policy) and I don't have any friends so I'm not going to any parties. I might wear black pants and my cat-face sweater for a sneaky nod, though. I mean, I wear that outfit all the time anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. GOD, Harrison Ford was such a babe. Ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

      I have a friend who's having a party this year, but I don't think I would fit in well with her main party crowd, so I might just not go. Yes! Wear the cat face sweater! That'll be perfect. I'll just wear my owl sweater. BOOM, done.

      Delete
  3. I am not a big fan of reds...this is pretty, but yeah I noticed the sinky glitter. :S

    So I am voting for Poltergeist Puddle as the next Halloween/Monster Mash you blog. It was actually in my first Llarowe order earlier this year, before I had any clue about indies/restocks/lemmings/HTF/VHTF, etc. I haven't worn it yet, maybe it is time, since my Llarowe Smooth Criminal has hung on pretty good for a week now (minus a corner here and there). I didn't even get around to swatching PS PPuddle until I got Pretty Serious Cybernetic/Purple Monkey Dishwasher, and Galaxy Invader. I've only worn GI so far. It was really fun.

    I am really digging Marvel Agents of SHIELD btw. Pretty slick right out the gate. They called Ming Na's character "The Cavalry" in episode two, she didn't like that.

    PS: I *need* to see a picture of the boyfriend Han Solo costume!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sinky glitter makes me sad. Ah, well. Can't win 'em all!

      I just had to google Smooth Criminal. I don't like holos, but DAMN, that one's gorgeous! Anyway, I'll try my best to squeeze in Poltergeist Puddle in before the end of the month. :) And if I can't, you'll definitely see it in November.

      I didn't care for the pilot (I thought it was too ... pilot-y), but I may have been a bit harsh because pilots rarely are impressive. I haven't watched any episodes since, but I am allllll about "Sleepy Hollow" right now because Nicole Beharie is perfect.

      Haha, sorry, I don't have any pictures! B is the only person who hates getting his picture taken more than me, even if he WAS a pretty great Han Solo.

      Delete
  4. Question, how do you get the polish line so clean around your cuticles? Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Sorry if this response is a little late, but thanks for the compliment. :) I (and so many other bloggers) simply use an angled eyeliner brush dipped slightly in pure acetone, and I run the brush around the cuticle. Easy peasy, and pretty perfect results! Hope this helps.

      Delete

Thank you for checking out my little nail blog! I do read and appreciate your comments and/or feedback, although it might take me a few days to get back to you. Time-sensitive inquiries should be directed to my e-mail address (rachswatched@gmail).

Please be polite and respectful when responding to others' comments in a post; if you are rude, I will delete your comment and Hannibal Lecter will eat you. Please don't leave spam comments with blog links -- it's tacky and I don't do it. Neither should you.