Monday, October 21, 2013

Skinny Dipping (With Friends): FingerPaints Bare No Secrets

Hey, guys. I can't believe that it's Skinny Dippin' time already, or, by extension, that October is nearly over. Anyway, after a week of blogging polishes that I absolutely loved, I stumbled upon one that definitely does not join those ranks.

When I saw the ALU A Pair Affair collection at Sally's last month, the only one I KNEW I had to get was You Yacht to Know Better (last seen on me here). The sage green, Sage It Ain't So, was a lot nicer in person than I expected it would be, but I could only buy two. So I went home with You Yacht to Know Better and this polish, Bare No Secrets, which piqued my interest slightly more than Sage It Ain't So. Now I don't think I made the right choice that day. Ah, well. You win some, you lose some, right?

Note: This polish was harder than I thought it would be to capture (I might have been having a derp day). I had to sacrifice image sharpness/clarity for color accuracy, so my apologies. :/




Three coats with Gelous + SV.








Wow, no. Nope, nope, NOPE. I have no problem telling you guys when I don't like something, but I always feel a little weird making that kind of declaration about a polish created by someone in the nail blog community, because it was their dream and work, you know? :/ On the flip side, Michelle is responsible for colors like RBL Mismas and Barielle Falling Star, so that should even things out.

Anyway, you see that nude/pink base? Maybe the store lighting at Sally's warped me into thinking it would look good on me, but the truth is you have to be a lot paler or darker than I am to rock this polish. I actually really enjoy the gold microglitter, and that was a nice addition to said base, however!, the pearly sheen is where I get off this train. I think I would have made more of an effort with this polish had it not been for that. I was so bummed, because it looked so great on Michelle in her post ... "universally flattering," this is not.

The formula on this one was okay, maybe on the thick side, but FingerPaints tend to be like that (IMO). I believe you could get away with two thin-medium coats for opacity, although I went with three because I wanted to see how the nude color would look on me (and as we all know, it's a mix of foundation-slash-stockings on me). Dry time was quick with Gelous and SV. I kept this on for only a day because it was so barftastic on me, but I gotta say -- the wear was really flippin' awesome. I washed my hands and did a bunch of dishes this weekend, and there wasn't a trace of tip wear or chipping.

Oh, Bare No Secrets. What do you think? Did you purchase any other ALU A Pair Affair polishes? (I'll try to post You Yacht to Know Better on its own one of these days.) I dislike this one so much that I would've returned this to Sally's yesterday if I could've found my receipt! If you would like to give this bottle of Bare No Secrets a better home, definitely send me an e-mail (it's on the right column of the blog); if you have something from my wishlist, let's swap!, but I'd be just as happy to gift this to whoever wants it.

Thanks for reading! I know I'm posting one more time this week, but IDK what day that'll be yet. In the meantime, don't forget to visit BLP to see Anna's nude polish pick ... let's hope it's nicer to look at than this one. ;) Hopefully my pick for next month will be more successful.

4 comments:

  1. I super hate this on you. Actually, I don't think I've liked this on anyone I've seen it on yet. I checked this one out when I was last at Sally's (along with You Yacht to Know Better) but decided against both of them. I know I eventually need to go back for YY2KB but this one I will skip. Blech.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. FP Bare No Secrets = the SH CSM Malt of 2013???

      Get YY2KB! It would look so good on youuuuuu. It's also a really nice color.

      Delete
  2. Love this shade. I don't agree - I think it's great on you! I tend to favor shades like this on my often shorter fingers and then go with bolder shades in my toes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, thanks! Yeah, it looks better in the pictures than it does IRL. Believe it. I think this could be a good pedi shade, with the right skin tone.

      Delete

Thank you for checking out my little nail blog! I do read and appreciate your comments and/or feedback, although it might take me a few days to get back to you. Time-sensitive inquiries should be directed to my e-mail address (rachswatched@gmail).

Please be polite and respectful when responding to others' comments in a post; if you are rude, I will delete your comment and Hannibal Lecter will eat you. Please don't leave spam comments with blog links -- it's tacky and I don't do it. Neither should you.