Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Dior Underground (love is a place)

This post might be a little bit of a throwback, but I couldn't bring my non-holiday posts to a close without sharing a little from my last show of 2013.

--At least, I'm sharing what little I remember of it, because (1) it was at the beginning of the month, and (2) my mind was not there AT ALL because my car accident had occurred two days prior to the show. In fact, I'd nearly forgotten the show was that week because the whole thing was just so fresh and semi-traumatic (to me) at the time. When I was walking back from the venue to the parking garage, I almost walked right up to a car that was the exact model and color of my baby ... which was parked two spots away from my temporary ride. I was blinking back tears. It was weird.

My point is, I get emotional about my car. I also had a good time. But it would have been better if I hadn't been in such a state. Or if a bunch of dudebrahs hadn't been standing next to me and watching some football game on TV at the same time. (Why do I remember *that*?)

Aaaaaaaanyhoo, I originally blogged Dior Underground back in March of last year, and while those pictures were good for me back then, I now think they were gross. These are a lot better.




Three coats with Gelous + SV.








Although I own a bunch of amazing brown cremes, I am going to be so sad when I finish this bottle. Y'all, I love Underground so freaking much. Of course, the broomy Dior brush isn't the greatest thing ever. But the formula? PERFECT. Dior makes some amazing cremes-slash-secret shimmers, which this one definitely is. The Ottlite photos picked up the secret sparkle. Also, that color! I DIE. It's vampy brown awesomeness that never looks black. It also takes on slightly reddish-purple/mauve tones in natural light (is that how to describe it?), but you know it's brown. So good.

If I had known that I was going to love Underground this much, I would have bought a back-up, for sure. This is long-discontinued now, since it came out back in 2011 for Dior's springtime "Rock Your Nails" collection (along with the Rock Coat). (Actually, I think Perfecto and Blue Label might still be part of the core line on Dior.com, while Nirvana is available online via Sephora.) Let me know if you want me to blog the rest of that collection next year. I feel like I should. It was so epic.

... just like Metric and its lead singer, Emily Haines (who's a total babe, in case you were wondering, and ohmygod her fringe jacket that night, omg). I feel like I got a workout simply through watching her do her thing onstage.


(Oooooh, ~dramatic shot is dramatic)


The set list that night was more geared toward the band's newer songs, a good deal with which I am unfamiliar. I'm one of those terrible fans who listens to the same albums over ... and over ... and over, so it's rare for me to listen to a band's newer releases. I've pretty much been listening to the same Metric songs since 2004 -- so all I know comes from their first two albums ("Old World Underground, Where Are You Now?" and "Live It Out"), plus the song "Black Sheep" that they did for the movie "Scott Pilgrim vs. The World." Everyone went NUTS for that one. I did. (Note: I didn't know that Envy Adams's appearance in the books was based off of Emily's.)

I'm not sure if the Richmond show sold out, but it did get quite packed. (Not, like, Shins or Neutral Milk Hotel sardine-packed, but there were A LOT of people.) As I remember it, the crowd was really interesting ... I saw college students, dudebros my age (and older), dirty hipsters, West Enders and, OH YEAH, a few older couples. Now that was surprising. Anyway, Emily Haines knew how to work the crowd, kind of like the Grace Potter of Canadian synth, I guess. I'm not much for synth, but I've always liked the way Metric went about it.


Seriously, THAT JACKET.


The night ended on a somber yet joyful note with an acoustic version of "Gimme Sympathy," Emily's Lou Reed duet. You could tell she was still affected by his passing; several days after the show, I came across her Rolling Stone tribute to him. It was nice.





And that concludes the 2013 Stuff Concert Series! Thanks for letting me share some moments and NOTDs with you this year. It was a lot of fun. :) The only show I didn't blog was the Yo La Tengo one in January (and its corresponding NOTD, RGB Deep, which I blogged two years ago), but hey. Nine out of ten ain't bad. 2014's got a lot to live up to!

6 comments:

  1. That is a great color, I don't have anything like that...

    I found the concert series very interesting, most of the artists I'd never heard of, which is a good reminder there is so much more going on out there. :O

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You don't have anything like that because it's not a purple holo! :-P

      Aw, thanks! What's your taste in music? Since everyone's is so different, I'm constantly hearing about all sorts of groups and stuff. (Did you ever give "The Blue Room" a listen? I think I might get a copy after I cull my music library.)

      Delete
    2. LOL! I can't deny that, seeing as how several purple holos were delivered Friday.

      Oops no I haven't listened to The Blue Room, actually the Madeleine Peyroux I have is the old one you'd mentioned, Careless Love from 2004. I still need to listen to that, I tend to just turn on the tv on the electronic dance music channel and zone out. So I guess that's it these days, especially with "EDM" crossing over into pop. Back in the day (high school/college in the 90s) it was the 'grunge rock' stuff as well as discovering the old classic rock stuff (Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd). Nowadays they still play the 90s stuff but now it is the new classic rock! :O

      Delete
    3. Ohhhhh, okay. I love love LOVE "Careless Love"! Give it a listen while you're chilling out and making dinner or something. It's nice.

      Delete
  2. I really need to go to a proper concert...I probably say that every year. But I think this dark Dior looks beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm probably going to cut back next year, haha. But you should go! Treat yourself. ;)

      Thank you!

      Delete

Thank you for checking out my little nail blog! I do read and appreciate your comments and/or feedback, although it might take me a few days to get back to you. Time-sensitive inquiries should be directed to my e-mail address (rachswatched@gmail).

Please be polite and respectful when responding to others' comments in a post; if you are rude, I will delete your comment and Hannibal Lecter will eat you. Please don't leave spam comments with blog links -- it's tacky and I don't do it. Neither should you.