Friday, December 13, 2013

Shopping My Stash: Baby, it's cold outside

Welcome to the holiday edition of Shopping My Stash! Yay, Christmas! I'm cheating a little bit today, as I meant to blog this last December and didn't get around to it. Whoops. But hey, isn't that the whole point of this series? ;)

Holiday polishes: yes, you can wear them year-round, but because so many of them are limited edition, I tend to save them exclusively for the season. When the China Glaze 'Tis the Season To Be Naughty and Nice collection came out in 2010, I went buck wild and bought, like, half of them. (I ended up keeping four.) But then two years ago, I decided I needed Frosty for some reason. I was fortunate to swap for it with my dear MUA friend Noelie (currently of Smitten Polish fame).

Frosty is so, so beautiful. Noelie, THANK YOU for this swap! <3




Three coats with SV.










I mean, if you're going to wear a white polish during the holidays, it might as well be a good one. Enter Frosty! (Another white to look into = Orly Au Champagne.) It goes on a little sheer, but it's buildable and opaque at three coats. Also, man, does China Glaze know how to make a good glass fleck! Now, I still haven't tried my bottle of China Glaze Dandy Lyin' Around, but I think that polish is more opaque and creamy than this one is.

Because Frosty is a white loaded with little shimmery particles, it's not the easiest polish to apply. However, it is definitely not as bad as it could be! Use a light touch when applying it, and make sure to wait a minute or two after each coat is completely dry to avoid streaking and bald spots. Is this self-leveling? I couldn't tell you -- that's how easy I went on each coat, LOL. My dry time was pretty good with SV. Clean-up was a bit of a mess due to the shimmery particles, but I expected as much. As for wear, I put this on Wednesday afternoon and it's still going strong; it most likely will be my NOTWeekend.

IIRC, Frosty didn't cause a huge fuss when it was released three years ago -- Party Hearty was a HUGE deal that year -- but you can pick it up on the 'bay, or scout blog sales or swaps. You could get lucky.

Welp, it only took four months of Shopping My Stash posts for me to find a winner, haha. I'm so glad Steff and I started this series! It was a Good Decision. It's been such a treat to partner with her, and I'm looking forward to more of these posts in 2014. We hope you are, too. Run over to Short 'n Chic to see the holiday polish she's posting today!


Aaaaaaaaaaaand just in case you're wondering which holiday movie goes with this polish,
look no further than a little kingdom called Narnia -- specifically, the Narnia as seen in the 2005 movie "The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe" helmed by Andrew Adamson and co-produced by Walden Media and Disney. I loved the C.S. Lewis books as a kid, and although I had a soft spot for the '88 BBC miniseries I'd grown up with, I thought a new version could be worth it if it was done well. The official poster art was very encouraging when it first came out, and it became my desktop wallpaper for a while.




This movie came out just before finals week during my sophomore year of college at an urban university. Most students didn't have cars, so if you wanted to go to Target or to the movies or whatever, you had to make friends with someone who had a car. Luckily, my sister's friend offered to drive the two of us to the movie. Looking back, I feel bad for him because she and I were SO. DAMN. EXCITED., we were just freaking out to each other the whole time. In fact, my sister and I were so excited that we held hands halfway through the trailers. (It's okay. We know we're nerds.)

The only thing I thought was super Hollywood-y about the movie was the battle at the climax of the story, but ... other than that, I still really love it, enough to own a four-disc edition. And can we talk about how much Tilda Swinton OWNED? LBR, she always does. Also, HOW. ADORABLE. was James McAvoy as Mr. Tumnus, the faun? I really couldn't take it. He was too precious. The Imogen Heap song at the end and the post-credits scene were too perfect for words. Like, I was legitimately sad when "Prince Caspian" was kind of a flop. ("The Voyage of the Dawn Treader" was better, although nowhere near as good as "LWatW," just fyi. And as much as I heart BinBons, he's no Samuel West. The end.)

Where I was I? Sorry. Back to the Christmas!

If you've ever read LWatW or seen the movie(s), then you know Narnia fell under a 100 Year Winter during the White Witch's "reign." When Mr. Tumnus tells little Lucy Pevensie that Narnia hasn't had Christmas in one hundred years, she can't imagine one hundred years without presents. To be fair, what kid can? As I'm sure you know, the arrival of all four Pevensie siblings in Narnia marks the beginning of that long winter's end, and Father Christmas makes an appearance and gives gifts to the children to help them defeat the Witch. The movie's director and the production team wanted to give Father Christmas an old, returning warrior look, and... yeah. I think they nailed it.


Oh, you know, it's only the Lord Commander Mormont. NBD.


But yeah. I know a lot of people don't care for the Narnia books because of the thinly-veiled Christian allegory, but ... not every kid reading them is going to see them that way -- at least, not right away. I don't know. It took me a couple of reads when I was 8? 9? to get it. Honestly, I think most kids are too enthralled with the magic-land-through-a-wardrobe thing to pick up on the Christian undertones. *shrug* That's just me, though.

Anyway, I'm writing this at 4 a.m., so I really have no idea where I was going with this. I think it goes something like: childhood favorite series + Tilda Swinton + McTumnums + brief (but important!) Father Christmas appearance = 100% Rach-approved for holiday viewing. Yeah, that's it.

Guys, I'm so tired right now I can't even bring this post to a close properly, so ... have a good weekend, and thank you so much for reading. I am so sorry. I am an incoherent mess.


P.S. One last thing before I pass out: Tomorrow (Saturday) is the last day for my U.S. readers to enter my holiday giveaway! I'll announce the lucky winner on Sunday afternoon, and that person will have to email me by Monday night to confirm the win. Good luck! :)

8 comments:

  1. Frosty is one of my favorite China Glaze polishes. I've had it since I first started getting into nail polish. I think I've worn it two or three times already. It's just so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You picked a good time to get into nail polish! That collection was one of the best. :)

      Delete
  2. Epic post! :D
    I had to look up this collection since 2010 was part of the vast desert of my non-polish years (somehow this is from like 90s back when your only "odd" color choices were Wet n Wilds, to earlier this year with a small break around 2007, when I got married and had some manis done, and was gifted an OPI DS polish that I never touched...but I digress). It must be hard to do holiday (heck, any, winter/spring neutrals, summer neons, autumn jewel tones, holiday blue/silver/white or red/green/gold) collections every year, how to not repeat the same stuff. I guess actually this year's ChG holiday collection is not at all similar, but who knows what was between 2010 and 2013, I spose I could look that up later. Anyway, it looks like this is similar to Zoya Ginessa, which I really like, so cool beans. If it's not a Purple Holo, it has to have shimmer, I am shying away from any plain ol' creme polishes that I have...
    I feel like I'm the one rambling now with no good way to close out, so....uh....I'm gonna click the publish button.... :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, lady!

      I don't mind the usual smattering of holiday greens, reds, golds, silvers and whites ... as long as they're done well. That China Glaze collection KILLED. See also: OPI Holiday 2009 = AH-mahzing. [/Penny Hartz]

      Ooh, I have Ginessa, too. But I wonder if the shimmer particles are bigger in that one? Hmmmm.

      Delete
  3. I didn't realize the Christian allegory undertones until I was an adult. Maybe because as a child I knew absolutely zip about Christianity?

    I love this movie. Tilda Swinton is e v e r y t h i n g. Always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure that has a lot to do with it. Nothing wrong there.

      I cannot wait for "Only Lovers Left Alive." CAN. NOT. WAIT.

      Delete

Thank you for checking out my little nail blog! I do read and appreciate your comments and/or feedback, although it might take me a few days to get back to you. Time-sensitive inquiries should be directed to my e-mail address (rachswatched@gmail).

Please be polite and respectful when responding to others' comments in a post; if you are rude, I will delete your comment and Hannibal Lecter will eat you. Please don't leave spam comments with blog links -- it's tacky and I don't do it. Neither should you.