Friday, December 6, 2013

China Glaze Phat Santa

If I'd been on top of my game, this post would have been on time at 9 a.m. But before Saint Nicholas Day is completely over, how about I show you a Santa-themed polish? There's nothing better than this one, IMO.




Three coats with SV.






Oh, you think this is smexy in the daylight, do you? Hold that thought.











OH MY GLOB, THIS POLISH. Scrangie described this as more of a "maraschino cherry," which is just about right.

Phat Santa is perfect in every way: color, formula, application, dry time, and wear -- all were flawless. The only thing I don't like about this polish is that it was a limited edition release!, from the AWESOME 'Tis the Season To Be Naughty and Nice collection in 2010. I bought this back when it came out, probably from Head2Toe or 8ty8 Beauty, I can't remember which. You might be able to find it through some e-tailers or on eBay, I'm not sure, but it's certainly worth hunting down.

While we're on the subject of Santa, I think this would be a good time to tell you about "Rare Exports."

"Rare Exports: A Christmas Tale" is a 2010 Finnish horror twist on the Santa myth, and takes place in a remote village near the border between Finland and Russia. (Does anyone else think of Isla Fisher in "Confessions of a Shopaholic" when someone mentions Finland, or is it just me? She's cute, damn it.) Almost the entire herd of reindeer is mysteriously slaughtered and eaten just before Christmas, which leaves the village without anything to eat or product to export. This event coincides with the arrival of Americans on the Russian side of the border who are trying to excavate something hidden under a mountain.

A little boy, Pietari, susses out that the Americans are trying to dig out Santa -- and not, as he says, "the Coca-Cola Santa," but the real Santa, a demonic figure who captures and tortures naughty children. This is cause for concern once the villagers' children start disappearing and are replaced with life-size straw and stick effigies. This is also cause for Pietari to panic, because he and his friend Juuso have been sneaking across the border to watch the Americans.

When Pietari's father, Rauno, finds the body of an old man in his wolf trap, the movie starts to move along. It's slow going up until this point, but this is where it gets really fun, and switches up its tone and amps up the suspense. I think part of the reason the movie is a little slow going is because it was based on two short films by the same director, so the plot had to get fleshed out a little. But it's very clever (the barn doors look like an Advent calendar) and worth it if you're a fan of foreign films and offbeat holiday horror stories -- you'll definitely get more than a little giggle out of the end.

Enjoy the trailer:




A little weird, but a lot of fun -- a Scandinavian specialty, basically. Kiitos, Finland.


P.S. Am I the only person who really enjoys horror films ONLY if they're Christmas-related?

P.P.S. You have 8 days left to enter my holiday giveaway. Do it! ;)

12 comments:

  1. I am obsessed with your holiday movie series and also with this polish because LBR, I have yet to meet a red I didn't like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you, bb! This polish is dope. Do you have it? I can't remember!

      Delete
  2. HOT DAMN. That red is all kinds of perfect on you. :O So squishy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Naz! I bet it would be perfect on you, too!

      Delete
  3. Love it. That looks fucking incredible on you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! If you own this one, then let's just say you probably had a hand in this purchase. Literally and figuratively.

      Delete
  4. Gorgeous red, and sooo shiny! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Natalie! It really is. :)

      Delete
  5. This is one of my favorite China Glaze reds. It looks awesome on ya. -Landa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's perfect, that's why. Thank you! <3

      Delete
  6. I have this but don't think I've ever worn it by itself. I'm not usually a red fan, but this is gorgeousssss and I may be using it this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. GIRL. You NEED to wear this! I wasn't a red fan when I got into polish, but you'd never guess that now. *hangs head*

      Delete

Thank you for checking out my little nail blog! I do read and appreciate your comments and/or feedback, although it might take me a few days to get back to you. Time-sensitive inquiries should be directed to my e-mail address (rachswatched@gmail).

Please be polite and respectful when responding to others' comments in a post; if you are rude, I will delete your comment and Hannibal Lecter will eat you. Please don't leave spam comments with blog links -- it's tacky and I don't do it. Neither should you.