Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Essie School of Hard Rocks

You can file this post under "things I meant to blog last December and didn't because I suck." Merp.

So, Essie School of Hard Rocks. Let's go.




Three coats with SV.












This polish is gorgeous in the bottle, but to be honest, I didn't know if I was going to like it on the nail all that much. Crazy, right? Not really, since dusty, greyed-out colors and I don't always play well together. I went from being in love with it to hating it because I thought it was giving me lobster hands. In the end, I realized it was my office lighting that was making it look bad -- every time I was all, "WHOA, I love this," I wasn't at work. So I'll be hanging on to School of Hard Rocks for a while.

Essie's creme polishes usually have perfect formulas and application, which was the case for this one. Dry time was good with SV, and I wore this for four? five? days with minimal tip wear and one tiny chip on my right index finger (do you see a pattern with this finger? Seriously.).

School of Hard Rocks was from Essie's Winter 2011 Cocktail Bling collection -- at least, I think that was its name. Anyway, this (and the rest of its collection mates) are readily available. The last time I checked, they were in the Essie core line at Ulta and they're super easy to find online, too.

This particular color might not bring the holidays immediately to mind. I'd venture to say that neither would the "Rocky" movies, but hear me out, yo.

The holidays always have had a place in the "Rocky" series. There was Rocky's first date with Adrian on Thanksgiving in the first movie as well as his iconic fight with Apollo Creed on New Year's Day, the Creed rematch the following Thanksgiving in "Rocky II," the totally awkward Balboa family Christmas in "Rocky V" (which was a bit of a mess, but OH MY GOD, Rocky is the best/worst at dad jokes) ...

... and, of course, the Christmas Day fight with Ivan Drago in "Rocky IV."

God, there is so much to love about "Rocky IV." I LOVE the "Rocky" movies, but there is no shying away from the fact they just got more and more ridiculous as they went on. I'm pretty sure it reached that pinnacle in this movie, which you can see in this list of reasons I love it:

  • the return of "Eye of the Tiger" playing during the opening sequence
  • the robot Rocky and Adrian give Paulie for his birthday (omgwtf). Paulie is not one of my favorite characters. He's ... a jerk., which is putting it nicely. But to Rocky, he's family.
  • you can get drunk real quick if you drink every time Creed calls Rocky "Stallion"
  • Rocky's adeptness at dad jokes
  • Rocky's arrival in Russia and growing that hilarious facial hair while training for the fight
  • the totally blatant USA vs. SOVIET UNION propaganda and comparisons
  • Brigitte Nielsen, pre-Flava Flav
  • Dolph Lundgren's hair
  • Dolph Lundgren's, what, 4 lines in English?, including "If he dies, he dies" and "I must break you." AND THOSE ARE HALF HIS LINES. (In English. I think he has, like, two more in Russian.)
  • the hilarious '80s songs featured throughout the movie, oh.my.god.
  • James Brown singing "Living in America"




    (Does anyone else my age see Carl Weathers and NOT think, "Baby, you've got a stew going"?)

Basically, yeah. This movie is GREAT.

Another reason the series generally makes me think of the holidays is because "Rocky Balboa," the conclusion of the Rocky saga, was released in December 2006, just five days before Christmas. That year, I was a junior in college and I'd just finished taking a screenwriting class (you guys, did you know that "Die Hard" and "Rocky" are referenced in every other screenwriting book? Ever?), but I figured I'd wait to see "Rocky Balboa" when I got home for break. Once I got home, I never made it to the theater for some reason. I totally regret this now, because if my fellow audience members loved the series as much as I do, then I am willing to bet that there would have been cheering in the theater. When I finally watched "Rocky Balboa" by myself a few months later, no lie, I got goosebumps. The movie was a beautiful call back to the first one, and that fight ... well, I knew how it went, but seeing something is always different than knowing how it ends. I know they shot an alternate ending, but I actually prefer the one that ended up in the final cut because it brought the series full circle. I actually ugly cried the last time I watched "Rocky Balboa" because of a scene in which he's throwing some Real Talk at his son, and I might have overidentified with it. Merp. But I love the Rocky character. And I can't wait to visit the Rocky steps when I visit Philly. (Hi, I'm a dork.) Supposedly there's talk of a new movie in the franchise that would center on Apollo Creed's grandson, who might be played by my bb Michael B. Jordan. We'll see how that goes, but based on that, I like it already.

It's a little weird knowing how much MORE I could write about the "Rocky" movies, but at least I got the holiday aspect covered. And if I'd REALLY been thinking ahead, I would have scheduled this post for December 26 ... a boxing movie on Boxing Day? Oh, man. That's some dad joke-worthy stuff right there, yo.

16 comments:

  1. LOL!!!
    I'll just say this:
    Michael B Jordan is so cute
    But Dolph Lundgren = MMMM!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So this one time my boyfriend made me watch "The Expendables" and I really only cared about three characters in that movie ... the ones played by Charisma Carpenter, Terry Crews ... and Dolph Lundgren

      LOL^infinity

      Delete
    2. LOL...Yeah I've seen both of them...but the first one was ruined by Mickey Rourke, and having to look at him. And unfortunately Dolph was in crazy mode in that first one. But hey, balance brought by Jason Statham... :D

      Delete
    3. Both of those movies were, as you say, in crazy mode!

      Delete
  2. One of my favourite polishes! It is beautiful on you and your application is flawless!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Katherine! Can't believe it took me this long to try it. :)

      Delete
  3. You may not be looking for the promised line but you might find it anywayyyyyy.... LOL THis looks pretty on you. I think I need to find it. -landa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HAHAHAHAHA

      Thanks, lady! It's really ETF, and I bet it'd look awesome on you & Ange.

      Delete
  4. UMMM If you are ever in Philly let me know! I'm a Philly girl all the way, it's a fun place and you can stand on Rocky's foot prints :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, ma'am! I most certainly will. :)

      Delete
  5. I have actually never seen any of the Rocky movies!!!! Basically every single, like, iconic movie ever I have not seen. Can we still be friends? I should see it because I love dad jokes.

    I would definitely go see the Michael B. Jordan movie because DAMN WALLACE.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let's see ... did I mention Adrian worked at a pet shop? Anyway, if you want dad jokes, "Rocky V" has the most. But it's easily the worst movie among the six.

      VIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINCE <3 <3 <3

      Delete
  6. One of my fave Essies! Looks beautiful on you. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Natalie! :) Seems like everyone loves this Essie ...

      Delete
  7. I love everything about this post, but what really got me going was your totally off-topic & quick line about Carl Weathers because I SAY THAT ALL THE TIME. One of my favorite secondary AD characters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, I think it might be time for an old-school AD rewatch soon! Thanks, Julie. :D

      Delete

Thank you for checking out my little nail blog! I do read and appreciate your comments and/or feedback, although it might take me a few days to get back to you. Time-sensitive inquiries should be directed to my e-mail address (rachswatched@gmail).

Please be polite and respectful when responding to others' comments in a post; if you are rude, I will delete your comment and Hannibal Lecter will eat you. Please don't leave spam comments with blog links -- it's tacky and I don't do it. Neither should you.