Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Nicole by OPI My Empire ... My Rules

Today's post marks the first of several posts that I have been dying to write ALL YEAR. Yes, it's finally Christmas polish and movie time on Stuff! (Hopefully, the tree will go up *and* I'll find gingerbread Oreos this week, too.)

A few of these holiday polish and movie posts are going to be things I ran out of time to blog last year, starting with this pairing. Thanks, Christmas flu.




Three coats with SV.








To me, NOPI My Empire ... My Rules (MEMR) is not your average taupe creme, due to the hint of green in the mix. Apparently my complexion seriously pulled out the green tones, so I think it's incredibly flattering (taupes that are too red are a no go for me). The photos in the OttLite make this look more like a classic taupe. The closest thing I have to it in my stash is nails inc. Foubert's Place, and IIRC, the formula on the NOPI is much, much better ...

... because it's luscious and perfect. NOPI makes some amazing cremes, you guys. You only need two coats for opacity, and the dry time is super fast. I wore this last year for a few days when I thought I would have time to blog this, so today's pics are from a quick and dirty swatch session. I don't remember how long I wore it, only that it held on pretty well.

Since this Kardashian Kolors collection came out two holiday seasons ago, you won't see this in stores right now; they were being clearanced around this time last year. I did catch a few Kardashian duo packs at TJ Maxx this spring? early this summer?, so who knows. But you definitely can buy them online. They're so worth it, even with Kardashian name attached to them.

Guys. I just don't get the whole Kardashian ... thing. I know they do a lot of fashion- and beauty-type stuff, but ... empire? Feel free to call me a fuddy-duddy (can one be a fuddy-duddy at 27?), but the word "empire" to me has more of a historical context than a business one.

That's why this is the perfect polish for the purposes of "The King's Speech," a movie I know I've mentioned a few times on this blog. It's much, much more of a Christmas movie to me than last year's Tom Hooper offering, the hot mess that was "Les Mis." For one thing, the cast is FANTASTIC. If you watch as many British movies and minis as I do, then you will recognize so many faces in addition to my birthday twin's (that is, Colin Firth), Queen Helena's, and Geoffrey Rush's. (Oh, and my boo Guy Pearce's.) In fact, one of Geoffrey Rush's lines is, "My castle, my rules." TOO PERFECT.

The other reason I love this movie so much is because I'm an enormous radio/television/broadcasting enthusiast -- hell, I have a bachelor's degree in broadcast journalism -- so Britstuff + radio + corgis = EPIC WIN. Sure, the corgis shown in the film don't look anything like corgis from the 1930s, but who cares? They're cute.


 (source: corgiaddict)


But it's the radio that makes "The King's Speech" obligatory Christmas viewing in my house. In the film, King George V, played by Sir Michael Gambon, flawlessly delivers his 1934 Christmas radio address. Afterward, the king advises that his stammering son Bertie (Colin Firth's character) learn to make these speeches because the responsibility might well fall to him someday. George V is praised as a natural speaker, so you get the idea that even if Bertie didn't struggle with a stammer, his father is a tough act to follow. Bertie returns to Australian speech therapist Lionel Logue (Geoffrey Rush) and resolves to manage his stammer and improve his speaking technique.

When George V dies, Bertie's older brother David (Guy Pearce) becomes King Edward VIII. That's when the controversy of Edward's relationship with American divorcee Wallis Simpson becomes A Problem. As we know, shortly Edward famously abdicates the throne and Bertie is crowned George VI. The film culminates and ends with Logue at Bertie's side for Bertie's first wartime radio address in 1939, when Britain declares war on Germany. So, you know. No pressure or anything.

I know a few people who didn't like this movie.* As you can tell, I love it, but also because I learned a lot when I first saw it. I was vaguely familiar with George V's Royal Christmas Messages (the first one was broadcast in 1932) and I knew about the Edward/Wallis controversy. What I DIDN'T know about was George VI's stammer, which meant I didn't know anything about Lionel Logue. This also meant I had never really considered what relations were like between Australia and England at the time, which the film touches on briefly. So it was cool to learn that the playwright of "The King's Speech" had a stutter, and it was very cool to learn that the director was half-Australian, half-English.

That's enough talk from me today. Just promise me you'll wear this polish if you haven't already, that you'll watch "The King's Speech" at some point in the near future (again: CORGIS), and that you'll enter my holiday giveaway if you haven't done that yet. Sound good? You know it does. Okay. Thanks for reading, and I'll be back with one more post this week.

Oh, and I might be looking at a car today. Wish me luck!, but not too much, because I'm not completely sold on it yet. :/


*NOTE: My parents love this movie. It also happens to fit right in with their "you should become a speech therapist just like Lionel Logue in 'The King's Speech!'" fixation. :/

15 comments:

  1. I'm going to have to track this one down! Also, does this mean I can stomp around shrieking, "I'm the KING OF ENGLAND" a la King Henry in "The Tudors"?

    Guess what movie I'll be watching this weekend...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooooooh, girl. No. No stomping. Pout, though, because Guy Pearce did a bunch of that. ;)

      Delete
  2. Please don't tell me you have a love affair with Guy Pearce....I hate that guy! There are just some people I can't stand, he and Bear Grylls is one of them. lol!

    How close is this to OPI YDKJ? It looks similar. I just wore YDKJ, a classic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WHAT. OMG. I love Guy Pearce! He was in one of my favorite movies of all time (which is a post for another day), so I'm obligated to stan for him forever, I guess.

      I don't think this is close to OPI YDKJ at all, but I have my 2008 version and not the new one, so I can't really confirm. But I would venture that YDKJ is more red/mauve/greyed out than this one, which leans quite green. Hope that helps!

      Delete
  3. I LOVE THIS MOVIE. Colin Firth's stutter is so amazing, he's got all these little clicks and pops that make it sound so natural. Ugh, I love him. I love him so much. I'm gonna watch this right now. After I watch Love Actually. COLIN FOREVER.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. RIGHT? He is a treasure. Best birthday twin ever.

      Delete
  4. I love this color omfg! And I'm so on-board with the word empire being historical not business related. I'm so anti-kardashian I refused to grab any of these colors, but now some of them I'm regretting lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew I was going to have the regret. Now I regret not buying back-ups, LOL.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thank you, Natalie! Me too. :)

      Delete
  6. Great movie! I can't bring myself to buy Kardashian related items, not even duos at TJ Maxx. I accidentally got NOPI Listen To Your Momager in an eBay duo, I was actually buying it for blue LA Colors holo. Ah well...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NOPI did an amazing job with those polishes, though. Holy crap. (I knew my scruples went out the door when I bought the NOPI Beebs ... and one $OPI Glee. I HATE "Glee.")

      Delete
  7. I adore that movie. Your nails look great. I have that entire collection in here somewhere. Im so tempted to reorganize my stash by Brand---->Collection----->color. -Landa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you, Landa! Didn't you swatch it on BLBC? I'm pretty sure you were a huge part of the reason I bought some! <3

      Delete
    2. I did! I still have the pics somewhere lmao

      Delete

Thank you for checking out my little nail blog! I do read and appreciate your comments and/or feedback, although it might take me a few days to get back to you. Time-sensitive inquiries should be directed to my e-mail address (rachswatched@gmail).

Please be polite and respectful when responding to others' comments in a post; if you are rude, I will delete your comment and Hannibal Lecter will eat you. Please don't leave spam comments with blog links -- it's tacky and I don't do it. Neither should you.