Wednesday, January 1, 2014

2013: The good, the bad, and the PICSPAM

At first, I thought I would throw together a bunch of photos of my favorite polishes from this year. But there was a huge problem with that, mostly because some of my favorite polishes from 2013 never got blogged on Stuff and also, well, I have an enormous stash.

So I decided to break this post down into sections. It's still a PHOTO MEGAPOST, so that should make us all happy. :)

I began 2013 wearing these super fun polishes:


Cult Nails Annalicious

Zoya Jules


OPI Metallic 4 Life


I started a Twitter book club with my friend Danielle and posted two Nail of the Novel-inspired polishes. Unfortunately I did not get very far with my reading (I only read five books out of the 12 we were shooting for in our Modern Library/Time 100 list) and I failed to post two more, but I'll blog them this year for sure. :)



Sally Hansen Complete Salon Manicure Gilded Lily | The House of Mirth by Edith Wharton

American Apparel Passport Blue | The Sheltering Sky by Paul Bowles


My favorite book that I read this year, however? Probably Mindy Kaling's Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? Thanks for sending me that one, Janice!!


Anna and I blogged more nude polishes, which led me to realize (1) I own WAY more nude polishes than I thought, and (2) how much I loved milky sheers.



Sation Café con Leche

Cult Nails Cruisin' Nude

OPI Mimosas for Mr. and Mrs.


Orly Pure Porcelain


Wet n Wild Mega Last 2% Milk

Essie Playa del Platinum

OPI Don't Touch My Tutu!


Zoya Flynn


Steff and I started Shopping My Stash in September. I'm so excited to continue this series in 2014!


September: Orly Lucky Duck


October: Pretty Serious Cosmetics Viscous Vampire

November: China Glaze First Class Ticket

December: China Glaze Frosty


I attended 10 concerts this year with a corresponding NOTD. Get ready!


January 24: Yo La Tengo
The Jefferson Theater
Charlottesville, VA

 
RGB Deep (old photo)

April 24: Josh Rouse 
The Birchmere
Alexandria, VA

Zoya Julie

May 27: The Shins
The National
Richmond, VA

Orly Halley's Comet

July 26: Loretta Lynn
The 9:30 Club
Washington, D.C.

OPI Steady As She Rose

The concert wasn't the only good memory from that day:
I also got to meet up with my old boss for our yearly beer while he was in D.C.,
and I got to hang out with one of my favorite college friends before the show.

August 10: The Breeders
Sound City RVA Music Festival: American Civil War Center at Historic Tredegar
Richmond, VA


China Glaze Splish Splash

I passed out at this concert. Merp. 
But then Krysi and I made meth cupcakes the day after for the "Breaking Bad" premiere.

September 18: Mayer Hawthorne
The Jefferson Theater
Charlottesville, VA

China Glaze Too Yacht to Handle + FingerPaints You Yacht to Know Better

OMGGGGGGGGG. (Still.)

October 7: Julieta Venegas
Irving Plaza
New York City


Floss Gloss Con Limon

October 12: Neutral Milk Hotel
The National
Richmond, VA



HARE polish King of Carat Flowers

October 24: Madeleine Peyroux
The Birchmere
Alexandria, VA



Sinful Colors Endless Blue

November 27: Metric
The National
Richmond, VA



Dior Underground


*puffs on cigarette*

But there's more! I tend to associate polishes with other things that happened during the year, so here are a few more things:


February: I introduced my sister to the fun that is a Met Opera Live in HD transmission with "Rigoletto"

Zoya Gilda

And I watched my friend's little brother hand out Oscars live on TV

Ulta Salon Formula Red Carpet Red

May: A reporter friend from college got married! His wedding was like a journo reunion.

Kleancolor Metallic Green

July: My friend Chelsea came to visit from Nashville :)

Dior Ultra Violet + Funky Fingers Up All Night


Sally Hansen Complete Salon Manicure Blue My Mind


Rescue Beauty Lounge Stormy

Also in July,
Naz and Angie helped me out by doing guest posts! Thank you, ladies <3


Naz showed off Deborah Lippmann Cleopatra in NY


Angie rocked a reverse glitter gradient with Orly Decades of Dysfunction and Sally Hansen Gem Crush Big Money


August: I went to NY and NJ to celebrate a favorite aunt's 80th birthday

Illamasqua Nomad


September: I turned 27


Contrary Polish Santorini


October: I went to visit my sister in NYC and I made a new kitty friend.

Formula X for Sephora Mr. Positivity

New kitty friend: Nutmeg the derp


November: I totaled my car on Election Day ;__;
This was probably the worst thing that happened all year -- all the bad stuff has just carried over from previous years.


Sally Hansen Lustre Shine Lava (gift from Danielle)

December: I got a new car and blogged lots of Christmas movie and holiday polishes!


Essie School of Hard Rocks, which I was wearing when I got my new car


I'd say the biggest thing that happened was that one of my best friends got married in September.



NARS Anardana (bridal shower nails)


Nicole by OPI Candid Cameron (bachelorette weekend nails)

OPI Care to Danse? (my bridesmaid nails)


My friend Janice returned to nail blogging in 2013 as the nail editor at Glitter Gloss Garbage. If that's not enough of her nails for you, go look at her Instagram! (And then come back and tell me how many polishes she makes you want to buy. I love her and I hate her for it, LOL.)

Not enough pictures yet? All right, I'll show you the two trends I've really adored in 2013. The first one is textures. I've only blogged two so far, but trust me ... there will be more.


Wet n Wild ATTEN Hut!

Finger Paints Sparkle in the Sky


I also did three glitter gradients this year. The second one might be my favorite out of sheer ridiculousness.



Pretty Serious Cosmetics Daphne's Birthday Party + Pretty Serious Cosmetics The Pink One

CrowsToes Purple People Eater + China Glaze Tart-y for the Party


Sephora by OPI Be-Claus I Said So + Essie Warm & Toasty Turtleneck


Oh, and I fell HARD for China Glaze White Cap. This was my favorite White Cap combo of 2013:

White Cap over OPI Mimosas for Mr. and Mrs.


Finally, more of my favorite polishes released in 2013:



China Glaze Budding Romance

Sally Hansen Insta-Dri Man-go Team!


Revlon Coast is Clear


Zoya Amy


Funky Fingers Jawbreaker


OPI Visions of Love


And that's just the stuff I blogged and loved that WAS released in 2013. But I think this is a great place to stop!

One thing -- I noticed that I took better photos this year than I have in the past. I think it was a combination of finding a good spot with natural light, and figuring out the settings on my phone's camera. The only way my photos are going to get better is if I actually use my digital point-and-shoot or borrow my dad's DSLR ... but you know what, I think we're getting by juuuuuuuuust fine with my little Androids at the moment. It's all about using what you've got. :)

Oh, and my favorite new show this year? Worst question ever. How do you choose between
  • "Brooklyn Nine-Nine" (FOX)
  • "Hannibal" (NBC)
  • "Orphan Black" (BBCA)
  • "Sleepy Hollow" (FOX)
  • "Trophy Wife" (ABC)

You can't. It's like Sophie's Choice up in here. NOPE NOPE NOPE I LOVE THEM ALL. Notice that I did not share my TV posts in this bitch. We'd be here ALL. DAMN. DAY.

Anyway, I hope you enjoyed this look back at my 2013 in NOTDs. Did you see any of your favorites in this post? I'd say 2013 was a pretty good year for my blog (and for concerts). Now if only my professional life would pick up that same pace ...!

Thanks for reading! Not sure if I'm coming back later this week or next with my New Year nails, but here's a hint: they're red.

8 comments:

  1. Ooh I love posts like this one!!! Added a few polishes to my lemming list as well :)). Happy New Year, Rach!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year, Gosia! :) Looking forward to more Thirsty Thursdays on your blog this year.

      Delete
  2. I just got my first texture polish. I'm a little nervous.

    I would say the best new show this year is "Sleepy Hollow," judging by how often my mom asks me when it's coming back. (We blew threw all the episodes in 3 days.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG "Sleepy Hollow" is THE BEST. THE. BEST. Ichabod Crane is such a perfect gentleman, I can't even.

      Delete
  3. I really love your shop my stash posts! I love seeing what you and Steff pick. :)

    I feel the same way. I was going to start making up my top 10 of 2013, but I haven't swatched any new polishes since March and it's getting harder to narrow down polishes as my stash gets bigger. D:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! We're so glad to hear it. :)

      One of my absolute favorites of 2013 didn't get blogged and I was kinda sad about it because I wore it 3-4 times since I bought it! I really need to purge my stash. I totally feel you.

      Delete
  4. Totally awesome post! You make me want more than a few polishes you swatched! Thanks for the beautiful photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG. Aprill ... I've been following your blog for a long time (and I'm so glad you brought Janice on board!), so I may have squealed when I got your comment. THANK YOU! <3

      Delete

Thank you for checking out my little nail blog! I do read and appreciate your comments and/or feedback, although it might take me a few days to get back to you. Time-sensitive inquiries should be directed to my e-mail address (rachswatched@gmail).

Please be polite and respectful when responding to others' comments in a post; if you are rude, I will delete your comment and Hannibal Lecter will eat you. Please don't leave spam comments with blog links -- it's tacky and I don't do it. Neither should you.