Friday, January 31, 2014

Year of the Horse

Happy Lunar New Year! According to ~extensive Google searching, the year of the horse is supposed to bring health and prosperity to those of us not born in horse years (I'm a tiger). Health and prosperity? Yes, please!

Red, of course, is good luck. I recently combed through my stash for some appropriate reds and happened upon China Glaze Red Stallion, which I'd set aside for some other reason. With a name like that, there was no way I *wasn't* blogging it today.




Three coats with SV.








Shame on me for keeping this one untried for forever. It's AMAZING! Red Stallion is a warm tomato red metallic with gold shimmer. As you can see in my photos, it is incredibly glowy, which basically makes it the perfect polish to wear at the very peak of the winter doldrums. Just ... WHOA.

The formula on this one was thin, yet very pigmented and easy to work with. Dry time was fast. I removed this after swatching, so I can't share any thoughts on wear (today). If you work carefully, you won't have much to clean up, which is always nice when dealing with a red polish.

Red Stallion comes from one of the greatest -- if not THE greatest -- China Glaze fall collections of all time, the Rodeo Diva collection from Fall 2008. While I'm not sure if Salon Perfect released a dupe for Red Stallion, the real thing is readily available online and I bet you could find it at a dusty. If you can get your hands on it (the polish or the entire collection), I cannot recommend it enough. I'm pretty sure I got my bottle from a blog sale many moons ago at pal Rachel Marie's, along with some other Rodeo Divas. Totally worth it.

Aaaaaaaall righty. What do you think? Is this red lucky enough? Are you wearing anything fun on your nails for the Lunar New Year or the Super Bowl? Should I post more of my Rodeo Divas? I have three more, plus the Salon Perfect dupe for Gussied Up Green. Then there's another polish that could be the Salon Perfect dupe to Cowgirl Up, but I'm not entirely sure if that's accurate. I'll have to investigate.

Ugh, I can't believe January went by so quickly! This month has been a weird time for me, so you have no idea how elated I am that it's over. Things have been very hard. But hey, at least this weekend will be fun: Tomorrow my friends and I are celebrating my friend Krysi's birthday early, and I'm going to watch the Super Bowl with B on Sunday (I really only care about the National Anthem -- Renee Fleming's gonna be great -- and the Puppy Bowl. Speaking of, have you completed your Puppy Bowl Draft picks?). I can't wait to see everyone and get kitty kisses from Sterling Meowlory Archer! Oh, February sounds so good already.

Thanks for reading, and I hope you have a good weekend! And as a lover of the wonderful city of Seattle, I can't believe I'm saying this, but ... go Broncos!

16 comments:

  1. I am actually hella pumped for the Superbowl. GO HAWKS.

    I was born in a year of the horse so I hope this year is a good one. Well, at any rate, it's gotta be better than last year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SO HOW 'BOUT THEM HAWKS.

      I hope your 2014 will be better than 2013! <3

      Delete
  2. I love this red. It looks great on you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful swatches! I'd LOVE to see more Rodeo Divas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not a big fan of reds but this one is really pretty on you! Sadly, I don't own any polishes from the Rodeo Diva Collection but I loved the swatches I saw a while ago. There's a lot of gorgeous ones.

    I'm also born in the year of Horse and I second what Maddie said. I just want my year to be better than the last. Fingers crossed. The Puppy Bowl is one of the cutest things I've ever seen. I usually watch it every year but I don't know what my plans for Super Bowl are this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Melissa! Oh man, there are so many good ones. I'm lusting after Prize-Winning Mare at the moment, haha.

      I hope your 2014 is better, too.

      Delete
  5. would definitely love to see more Rodeo Divas. They were "before my time." I think I may have seen a few on Short N Chic but I'm not sure.
    I'm the year of the Rat but I hope that the health and prosperity thing works out b/c I could definitely use it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay, I'll add more to the lineup. LOL, "before my time" ... they were about when I got into polish, so they are very much "my time." :)

      I can't remember what they forecasted for Rats this year, but I'm with you on the health & prosperity part!

      Delete
  6. Oooooh, I love me a glowy red. This'll be my first year watching the puppy bowl (shame on me)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Puppy Bowl > humans. Especially this year!

      Delete
  7. I am so not a red person, but this is gorgeous. Dammit, stop making every polish look awesome, lady! I want to buy all of them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's SO gorgeous!

      Aw, thanks, lady. I really think this one is worth hunting down. ;)

      Delete

Thank you for checking out my little nail blog! I do read and appreciate your comments and/or feedback, although it might take me a few days to get back to you. Time-sensitive inquiries should be directed to my e-mail address (rachswatched@gmail).

Please be polite and respectful when responding to others' comments in a post; if you are rude, I will delete your comment and Hannibal Lecter will eat you. Please don't leave spam comments with blog links -- it's tacky and I don't do it. Neither should you.