I'm pretty sure I made my feelings about Ryan Murphy clear on this blog (polite summary: I canNOT. Why can't more showrunners be like Bryan Fuller??). I could not with "Nip/Tuck," I HATE "Glee" with the fire of a thousand burning suns, and as for "AHS" ... well. I haven't watched the first two seasons, and I don't intend to, but based on what I've seen on "Coven," I think the show benefits from having a contained number of episodes per season. I also think "Coven" is really Murphy and Falchuk's way of pushing the envelope not necessarily with the sole purpose of being creative, but to see just how much trolling they can get away with on basic cable. I'll be hanged (or burned?) if I don't enjoy this, though. When Angela Bassett and Kathy Bates signed on for "Coven," I thought that could be cool, despite having no intention of actually watching it. I held out as long as I could -- so, one day after the "Coven" premiere? -- before caving like a bad tent. And here we are.
But you don't care about all that. You [might] care about what's on my nails, and as it happens, it's some real good shit. Because, really, can't you imagine Fiona Goode vamping about, wearing this polish? I can.
Three coats with Gelous + NYC Grand Central Station.
Oh, Bewitched. This polish is what I wanted OPI Live and Let Die to be. The base color of both polishes, a smoky blue-toned pine green, is very similar. As gorgeous as LaLD was, its golden flecks pretty much dulled and died on my nail within two or three days. I no longer own LaLD, but from what I remember of it, the glass fleck particles in Bewitched all smaller, finer and a pinch more vibrant compared to LaLD. I think that's why I like Bewitched so much.
The formula on this polish is awesome. It's easy to work with (I bet that's helped by the small, non-paddly brush) and is opaque in two coats -- I have heard tell of people using one coat, but that's just crazy talk in my world. I added a third because that's just how I roll. Dry time was fast, this barely required any clean-up, and I was snapping swatch photos in no time at all. However, I removed this to swatch another polish, so I can't talk today about wear time/experience or whether the sparkle dulled after a day or so. (I'm willing to bet it doesn't.)
Bewitched was released last fall as one of two polishes in the limited edition Dark Spell collection, but it may as well have been the only polish in that collection because the other is a frosty mess. This goes for $18 and it's worth every penny, IMO. It still might be available online on the Saks and Belk sites. I actually bought mine online from Belk last year while there was a free shipping promo, which was verrrrrrry exciting.
Since this didn't become a full NOTD (long story), I'm saving it for a day/weekend when I want something ~special. What do you think? Do you prefer OPI LaLD? More importantly, IS BEWITCHED WITCHY ENOUGH to be worthy of La Lange? Is this less Samantha and more Endora, or the other way around? I need to know!
And re: "Coven,"
- Who do you think is/should be the next Supreme? If it's Zoe ... *Kyle scream noises* I think it should be Misty. Or Queenie. Or ... Kyle. Basically, ANYONE BUT ZOE.
- Which non-Jessica Lange actress is the season's MVP? I'm torn between Angela Bassett, Kathy Bates, and Frances Conroy! All three of them have been KILLING IT consistently.
- What was your favorite storyline/moment of the season? Conversely, what was the lamest? Favorite storyline ... oh geez. Let me finish the season and I'll get back to you. As for the lamest, it's the Axe Man shit by FAR. Danny Huston is good at creepy, but I'm afraid the Axe Man crossed the line from Interesting to Lame.
- Who was your favorite guest star? A certain cameo aside, I have to be shallow and say Josh Hamilton (Hank), because after all these teenage boys, I needed an actual dude to look at who wasn't a frickin' minotaur. Also, he was in one of my favorite '90s post-grad semi-mumblecore movies of all time, so I had that going for me.
- Best quote of the season? Anything said by Queenie, Myrtle, Marie Laveau or Fiona at any given time. But Nan, Delia, Misty and Madison had a few hilarious zingers, too. I can't even start quoting this show. I'd be here all day.
Don't worry about spoiling me -- I read recaps every week -- but if you think you might spoil a comment for other readers, you can always shoot me an e-mail. (I mean, it'll take me another month to get back to you because my correspondence practices have been SO BAD lately, but I'm working on it!)
Thanks for reading, and enjoy the finale! I'll be back on Friday, but daaaaaaayum, 2014. Look at you go!