Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Simply Supreme: Laura Mercier Bewitched

If you love watching TV as much as I do, then I don't have to tell you that the "American Horror Story: Coven" finale is at 10 p.m. tonight because YOU ALREADY KNOW. And have set your DVR. And have made snacks. And may be preparing to land in Twitter jail. You know, typical finale stuff. I'm not doing anything because I'm four episodes behind in my cable-less purgatory, but this post should be enough to show my excitement. (I hope.)

I'm pretty sure I made my feelings about Ryan Murphy clear on this blog (polite summary: I canNOT. Why can't more showrunners be like Bryan Fuller??). I could not with "Nip/Tuck," I HATE "Glee" with the fire of a thousand burning suns, and as for "AHS" ... well. I haven't watched the first two seasons, and I don't intend to, but based on what I've seen on "Coven," I think the show benefits from having a contained number of episodes per season. I also think "Coven" is really Murphy and Falchuk's way of pushing the envelope not necessarily with the sole purpose of being creative, but to see just how much trolling they can get away with on basic cable. I'll be hanged (or burned?) if I don't enjoy this, though. When Angela Bassett and Kathy Bates signed on for "Coven," I thought that could be cool, despite having no intention of actually watching it. I held out as long as I could -- so, one day after the "Coven" premiere? -- before caving like a bad tent. And here we are.

But you don't care about all that. You [might] care about what's on my nails, and as it happens, it's some real good shit. Because, really, can't you imagine Fiona Goode vamping about, wearing this polish? I can.




Three coats with Gelous + NYC Grand Central Station.








Oh, Bewitched. This polish is what I wanted OPI Live and Let Die to be. The base color of both polishes, a smoky blue-toned pine green, is very similar. As gorgeous as LaLD was, its golden flecks pretty much dulled and died on my nail within two or three days. I no longer own LaLD, but from what I remember of it, the glass fleck particles in Bewitched all smaller, finer and a pinch more vibrant compared to LaLD. I think that's why I like Bewitched so much.

The formula on this polish is awesome. It's easy to work with (I bet that's helped by the small, non-paddly brush) and is opaque in two coats -- I have heard tell of people using one coat, but that's just crazy talk in my world. I added a third because that's just how I roll. Dry time was fast, this barely required any clean-up, and I was snapping swatch photos in no time at all. However, I removed this to swatch another polish, so I can't talk today about wear time/experience or whether the sparkle dulled after a day or so. (I'm willing to bet it doesn't.)

Bewitched was released last fall as one of two polishes in the limited edition Dark Spell collection, but it may as well have been the only polish in that collection because the other is a frosty mess. This goes for $18 and it's worth every penny, IMO. It still might be available online on the Saks and Belk sites. I actually bought mine online from Belk last year while there was a free shipping promo, which was verrrrrrry exciting.

Since this didn't become a full NOTD (long story), I'm saving it for a day/weekend when I want something ~special. What do you think? Do you prefer OPI LaLD? More importantly, IS BEWITCHED WITCHY ENOUGH to be worthy of La Lange? Is this less Samantha and more Endora, or the other way around? I need to know!

And re: "Coven,"
  1. Who do you think is/should be the next Supreme? If it's Zoe ... *Kyle scream noises* I think it should be Misty. Or Queenie. Or ... Kyle. Basically, ANYONE BUT ZOE.
  2. Which non-Jessica Lange actress is the season's MVP? I'm torn between Angela Bassett, Kathy Bates, and Frances Conroy! All three of them have been KILLING IT consistently.
  3. What was your favorite storyline/moment of the season? Conversely, what was the lamest? Favorite storyline ... oh geez. Let me finish the season and I'll get back to you. As for the lamest, it's the Axe Man shit by FAR. Danny Huston is good at creepy, but I'm afraid the Axe Man crossed the line from Interesting to Lame.
  4. Who was your favorite guest star? A certain cameo aside, I have to be shallow and say Josh Hamilton (Hank), because after all these teenage boys, I needed an actual dude to look at who wasn't a frickin' minotaur. Also, he was in one of my favorite '90s post-grad semi-mumblecore movies of all time, so I had that going for me.
  5. Best quote of the season? Anything said by Queenie, Myrtle, Marie Laveau or Fiona at any given time. But Nan, Delia, Misty and Madison had a few hilarious zingers, too. I can't even start quoting this show. I'd be here all day.

Don't worry about spoiling me -- I read recaps every week -- but if you think you might spoil a comment for other readers, you can always shoot me an e-mail. (I mean, it'll take me another month to get back to you because my correspondence practices have been SO BAD lately, but I'm working on it!)

Thanks for reading, and enjoy the finale! I'll be back on Friday, but daaaaaaayum, 2014. Look at you go!

9 comments:

  1. Can I just say that I basically screamed with glee with Frances Conroy showed up? I basically think she's a goddess and one of the best actresses still working today. I felt the same way when she showed up randomly in How I Met Your Mother. The best of surprises.

    Ben and I are also a cool four episodes behind! We'll get to it eventually.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. By with I meant when and I am a typing idiot lately.

      Delete
    2. Um, YES. I know you're partial to her because of SFU, but she is really great. She was HILARIOUS this season! That line about the charcuterie platter and a bidet ... I was crying laughing.

      :)

      Delete
  2. This is a stunning color! I just love the flecks of gold.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I honestly skipped reading this because I've missed about half of the season... but this polish is amazing! I love AHS!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, thanks Katie! Hope you (and I) get a chance to catch up.

      Delete
  4. That polish is gorgeous! Laura Mercer is a department store brand, right?

    I want to talk/bitch about the finale SO BAD! But I know a lot of people haven't seen it yet, so I will just say that this season was the hottest of messes, and I'm pissed Ryan Murphy ruined yet another perfectly good idea. Sigh. At least there were some pretty great bitchy quotes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ashley! And yep, it is. But only a few stores had these polishes last fall, IIRC.

      I watched one episode over the weekend ... 3 more to go, and then we can bitch. BALENCIAGAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

      Delete

Thank you for checking out my little nail blog! I do read and appreciate your comments and/or feedback, although it might take me a few days to get back to you. Time-sensitive inquiries should be directed to my e-mail address (rachswatched@gmail).

Please be polite and respectful when responding to others' comments in a post; if you are rude, I will delete your comment and Hannibal Lecter will eat you. Please don't leave spam comments with blog links -- it's tacky and I don't do it. Neither should you.