Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Gift of Fab: Maybelline Color Show Lavender Lustre

Sorta cheating today since I'm posting this polish more than one month since I wore it, but I've had the pictures ready to go for a while! Here's another polish my friend Danielle sent me last year.

BTW, Maybelline, you're hilarious. If this polish is "holographic," then I'm going to grad school, okay? Because it's NOT. (And I'm not. You couldn't pay me to go back to school. I loved undergrad, but my portfolio/reel/whatever is basically nonexistent and I am a horrible standardized test taker, so the very *idea* of the GRE terrifies me. /confessions)




Three coats with SV.








But, this polish. I unexpectedly really liked it! As you can see, it's 100% not holographic. I would say it's a very faint duochrome -- sometimes it's silver, sometimes it's a very cool lavender. I wasn't sure this combination would flatter me at all, but it works very well. It's different, a nice alternative to silver, and verges on the frostier side of metallic shimmer.

Oh, and the formula? Also really nice. Lavender Lustre is surprisingly opaque after two coats. I didn't need to go for a third coat, really. Dry time was fast, and wear was good after a day and a half. No chips, no tip wear. I was sufficiently pleased, enough to say that I am keeping this polish and it will get worn again. Thank you, Danielle! :)

I believe Lavender Lustre was released last summer as part of the Maybelline Color Show "Holographic" line. There are four other polishes in said line, which you can find in any core display of Maybelline Color Show polishes. Real talk, though -- as much as I like this polish, I can't imagine it being sought after (I never would have picked it up if Danielle hadn't sent it to me), so get it if there's a Maybelline promo or if you have a crazy good drugstore/Ulta coupon.

Okeydoke. Danielle sent me six polishes, so Lavender Lustre puts her at 2 for 2 so far (check out my post on SH Lustre Shine Lava from last November). I'm pretty excited to try another one from her package, so hopefully we'll see it soon. Can you tell another of my 2014 blogging resolutions is to blog more polishes that were gifted to me? I'm pretty sure some of my RL girlfriends have forgotten giving me some things, too, and I really am working on making some headway with Mount Untried. (It's like Mount Doom, but with less fire.)

I have no idea what I'm talking about any more. Grad school? "LOTR"? This is a good place to end for today, so I'll see you back on Friday. I should be more coherent then.

6 comments:

  1. I kind of like this one!
    They really should have gone with another name than "Holographics." Get the nail community all excited and then it turns out to be faint duochromes. Such a tease!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ali! And I think even Lippmann did a similar thing a while back, calling flakies "holographics." She, of all people, should know better! *facepalm*

      Delete
  2. I haaaaaate when nail companies call duochromes/color-shifters "holographic," oy. This color is lovely, though, and looks gorgeous on you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right?!?! *Inigo Montoya "I do not think it means what you think it means" .gif*

      Thank you! :)

      Delete

Thank you for checking out my little nail blog! I do read and appreciate your comments and/or feedback, although it might take me a few days to get back to you. Time-sensitive inquiries should be directed to my e-mail address (rachswatched@gmail).

Please be polite and respectful when responding to others' comments in a post; if you are rude, I will delete your comment and Hannibal Lecter will eat you. Please don't leave spam comments with blog links -- it's tacky and I don't do it. Neither should you.