Friday, January 10, 2014

Shopping My Stash: Winter wooskie

Happy Friday, friends. I hope your week back to work and/or school after the holidays hasn't been insane! Mine was pretty nuts, but that's another story for another day.

Anyway, my pal Stephanie of Short 'n Chic and I are back today with our first Shopping My Stash post of 2014! We -- okay, I -- tossed around a couple of ideas for our January theme before ultimately opting to share our wintry finds with you guys today. Given this week's weather in our parts of the country, I think we made the right choice! It may not have snowed in my area of VA, but it was JUST. TOO. COLD.

For this snowy edition, I dug back into my holiday polish box -- yes, I have a box for holiday polishes! -- because I wasn't kidding when I said I could drag out holiday stuff if no one stopped me. I actually had a few good options to choose from, but nothing quite as old as Nicole by OPI Midnight Snowfall. On my nails it went.

Yes, we get a rare all-OttLite photo post today because this just would NOT photograph in sunlight/natural light. Even so, sometimes this looks purple. Sometimes this looks blue. It's just a pain to capture. But I think I did an OK job, given, you know, camera phone and no Photoshop.




Three? Four? coats with SV. It was so late when I put this on, I was delirious for sleep.






Why are these so grainy? >:( This is making me stabby!






First of all, I need to disclose that the color as shown in these photos isn't 100% accurate. It's a pinch deeper and darker and not quite as blue. But it's so gorgeous, I don't know why it took me so long to get around to it! It's one of those blurple shades that became so popular after OPI Sapphire in the Snow -- but I daresay that this is brighter.

The formula confused me a little bit. I'm not sure if it was so thin because that's how it was intended to be or because it was something that happened over time (hey, 3 winters of sitting in my stash could've affected it), but it was thinner than I thought it would be. It went on quite sheer at one thin coat but built up all right. If Midnight Snowfall were even remotely squishy, I would call it a jelly-creme. Strangely, it's not squishy. I took this off right after swatching, so I can't elaborate on its wear time and results, but I'd like to put it into rotation again -- this would be good to layer with a flakie top coat or something, right?

Midnight Snowfall was released in 2010 as part of the Nicole by OPI Shades to Crave limited edition holiday collection (along with one of my favorite polishes of all time). The only reason I'm going to classify this collection as a Target exclusive is because I never saw it sold anywhere else at the time of its release. (I saw this at Five Below this time last year, I think.) But it's pretty htf now, and if I'm being honest, you could find a similar color quite easily these days -- especially one with a creamier formula. I didn't mind working with this one because I'm patient, but I'm a masochist that way.

All right, y'all. What do you think? I'm really, really glad I pulled this one out. (That's what she said.) I'd forgotten I had this! See, my other choices were Orly Winter Wonderland, which is too sheer for anything, and China Glaze Winter Berry, which is lovely and all, but I am so not in the mood for another red right now. Additionally, I didn't want to subject you to three China Glaze stash shopping picks in a row. I know, how considerate of me. But truly, things like this are why I love this series, and Midnight Snowfall was a great choice to kick off the year with Steff. Don't forget to visit Short 'n Chic to check out her winter nails!

If I can manage it, I'll be back on Monday. Until then, have a good weekend! Oh, and if you're in an unforgivingly chilly part of the country right now, stay warm!!!


P.S. ... and enjoy these winter tunes, maybe? Consider this an apology for this post going up an hour late. (GDI.) Some of these songs don't exactly mention the season in the lyrics, they just remind me of this time of year. They're basically "drink a cup of hot cocoa and snuggle in front of the space heater with a good read" tunes. And who doesn't love that?




I love Grooveshark, and was very chagrined to find that they didn't have one of my favorite winter songs in their system. So I will share it here with you.




Okay, that's really everything. Over and out.

10 comments:

  1. Um, what do you MEAN you are "so not in the mood for another red right now"? What is wrong with you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'M BROKEN. By the by, you should see the color my dad wanted me to get for my car ... I kept saying, "I'm okay with grey. Really."

      SO BROKEN.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks, pardner! It's even better in person. Yeah, so I'm really glad we went with the winter theme.

      Delete
  3. Ugg....I so want to sit by a fire with a cup of hot cocoa and a good book! I've been sick for 3 weeks and haven't felt like doing anything! Blerg!

    This color is awesome! But it looks so squishy....so that's confusing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! :( I'm sorry to hear it! I hope you're feeling better.

      I wish I could relax with a book -- but reading is hard because I wish I could get my attention span back. Or just anything resembling an attention span!

      Delete
  4. This is a very pretty shade of blue! I would totally wear it. I don't have enough cremes in my collection, especially not dark ones like this. I should really change that. And Grooveshark, I love it! I listen to music on there just about everyday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's more blurple/purple, BAH, camera! Anyway, you totally need something like this in your collection. Try Barry M Indigo or even Essie No More Film/Orly Wild Wisteria/Zoya Pinta. TOTALLY WORTH IT.

      Delete
  5. buahahahaa that's what she said!!! we totally think alike =))) lovely polish! even though you say it's not 100% accurate, it's still gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for checking out my little nail blog! I do read and appreciate your comments and/or feedback, although it might take me a few days to get back to you. Time-sensitive inquiries should be directed to my e-mail address (rachswatched@gmail).

Please be polite and respectful when responding to others' comments in a post; if you are rude, I will delete your comment and Hannibal Lecter will eat you. Please don't leave spam comments with blog links -- it's tacky and I don't do it. Neither should you.