Friday, January 17, 2014

Sally Hansen Sugar Shimmer Mint Tint = the lamest texture I've tried

You guys, it finally happened: I wore a texture polish I didn't like. So although I intended to post this on Wednesday, I figured I would save it for today, because there wasn't a whole lot I liked about this week, either. It was not great.

Anyway, when my friend Madeline finally tried a texture polish, she said it gave her a wiggins. Until I wore this polish, I had never experienced said wiggins with any textures.

But I know exactly why I felt that way. Pics first, and then I'll spill that tea.




Three coats.








I should have started this post by saying that Sally Hansen is my absolute favorite drugstore polish brand. Last spring, SH started to get into the texture game, but those polishes seemed to have disappeared from stores just as suddenly and mysteriously as they arrived. Closer to the end of 2013, SH took a second stab at textures, even renaming their texture line "Sugar Shimmer" (it was originally "Sugar Coat"). I got WAY too excited about the Sugar Shimmers, and bought four.

Mint Tint makes me think Sally Hansen could have waited a minute before (re)releasing more textures.

Want to take a stab as to why it sucked? It sure wasn't the color! What a shame, because this shade of mint green is just beautiful, probably more on the neutral side of mint. Anyone could wear it.

--Anyone who likes polishes that look like cottage cheese, anyway. Ew. Wow. And herein lies the problem with Mint Tint: It was in fact *not* a sugar shimmer (that is, a shimmery base), but had a creme base. Creme-based textures are a huuuuuuuuuge problem for me, and there was no way of knowing this polish would look like cottage cheese on the nail when I saw it in the bottle. You can't even see the golden shimmer on the nail, which blows. So I'm telling you now, do not buy this one, DO NOT PASS GO. Good? Good.

Okay, that's it. I have the rest of today off and I'm planning to swatch, work on some posts for the next couple of weeks, write some emails, catch up on my shows, marathon some "Hannibal" Season One episodes for background noise (you know your life is weird when "Hannibal" is a comforting background noise), and maybe break in my new credit card. You know, some books, some jeans, and maaaaaaybe some polish. The essentials.

Thanks for reading, and I'll see you on Monday, I promise! Skinny Dipping will be back!

12 comments:

  1. I was so tempted to buy these at CVS when I saw them the other day but I didn't because I had a feeling they would end up being those polishes that look nothing like they do in the bottle when you actually put them on. I just hate when shimmer doesn't show up and I'm not the biggest fan of the creme texture anyway. I went home after and looked up swatches and I'm glad I didn't get them because none of them impressed me, except for Sugar Plum. That one actually has beautiful shimmer in it that I really like and it doesn't look too much like cottage cheese. Thanks for an honest review! I'll pass on this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, a couple of my friends have tried the other colors with good results, so I was hoping this would be one of them. WHOOPS. I'll try to get my swatches of the good ones up soon! Thanks for reading, Melissa. :)

      Delete
  2. I bought a lot of the polishes from the 2 Sugar Coat collections and had this problem with the first round of creme textures. They were way too lumpy, but the cremes (and shimmers) from the second release were much better - I loved those. It definitely looks like they went a little backwards with the Sugar Shimmers. I didn't pick any of these up because they're all pretty similar to one of the Sugar Coats. Thanks for the review, I was still considering getting this for the pretty gold shimmer in it, but I'll pass!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah ... they did remind me a bit of the Sugar Coats, 2.0. But since I only had Royal Icing, I was willing to experiment! Thanks for reading -- I'm glad I could stop you before you went and bought it. :)

      Delete
  3. Eughgghghghgh, I got a wiggins just LOOKING at this polish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was SO BAD. I don't blame you.

      Delete
  4. That looks waaaaaay different than the green one I got from the original line. Weeeeird.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wasn't yours creme-based? I remember it looking like a green nonpareil ...

      Delete
  5. I got the baby blue from the original line. Not opaque at all. Terrible polish. I think they released the same color in the new line but swatches have shown that the payoff is much better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they definitely rereleased Royal Icing! I'm going to experiment, but I'm sure the new version is much more opaque, like you said.

      Delete
  6. Nooooooo!!!!!! I swear I saw swatches of this that looks great, and that golden shimmer came out, so I'm so confused! Yeah, creme textures are just gross (except Noho which I'm pretty sure is awesome). Ick, I don't want to wear mine now....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Noho is teh secks! Dude, your swatch of Sugar Plum made me excited for this! I guess not all textures are created equal.

      Delete

Thank you for checking out my little nail blog! I do read and appreciate your comments and/or feedback, although it might take me a few days to get back to you. Time-sensitive inquiries should be directed to my e-mail address (rachswatched@gmail).

Please be polite and respectful when responding to others' comments in a post; if you are rude, I will delete your comment and Hannibal Lecter will eat you. Please don't leave spam comments with blog links -- it's tacky and I don't do it. Neither should you.