Monday, January 20, 2014

Skinny Dipping (With Friends): Color Club Who Are You Wearing?

Happy Monday! Thanks for joining Anna and me for a new year of Skinny Dipping. :) After my holiday hiatus, it's good to be back.

One of my blogging resolutions this year is to blog more rarely featured brands around here, particularly Color Club. While that brand is responsible for one of my favorite polishes of all time (Pucci-licious), it also wears like crap on me -- within one day, I get chips and insane tip wear. So I wanted to play around with my base and top coats to (hopefully) yield better results. I mean, there is just no point hanging on to my few Color Clubs if I'm never going to wear them.

I'm happy to report that I TOTALLY NAILED IT. But I totally could have chosen a less troublesome polish to start with!




Four coats with Gelous + SV.









Who Are You Wearing? is from the Rebel Debutante collection of Spring 2010, making it a true oldie in my eyes.

As to whether it's a goodie ... that's debatable. You have to remember, back in 2010, colors like this were hard to come by! If we're going in terms of color, then it's a resounding YES. Light nude cream with a hint of grey? Are you kidding?! It's great. And certainly I think it looks pretty good on me.

Its formula, however? Total PITA. Oh my God, so bad. It was sort of runny, which meant I had to work very carefully -- guessing how much polish to load up on brush was kind of a game. (You want to go thin on coats 1 and 2, and then you can thicken up at 3 and 4.) It also was fairly streaky after my standard three coat treatment, so I had to go for a fourth coat. I put on a coat of Gelous and another coat of SV over that, and strangely, the whole thing didn't take as long to dry as I was dreading. I'd give it an average dry time. Even more strange is that it wore freakishly well for three days. ZERO chips, barely visible tip wear. I'm confident I could have gone the whole week in this, but I desperately needed some color on my tips after an emotional low point last week and removed it.

Normally at this point in the post I would tell you that you could easily buy Who Are You Wearing? online, but honestly, I don't know if I could recommend this polish to anyone! Other mainstream salon brands like OPI, Essie and Zoya have been cranking out perfectly lovely nude shades on the regular, and if you've tried OPI nudes since ... Holland, I think, then you *know* how good the formulas for those polishes are. Unless you possess a gargantuan amount of patience, Who Are You Wearing? is probably not going to be for you.

I'll hang on to my bottle for now. Despite the aforementioned formula issues, I love the color and I'm quite thrilled with the success of my Gelous + top coat trick on this Color Club polish. This gives me more enthusiasm to blog my paltry collection of the brand.

Thanks for reading, and don't forget to visit Business Lady Polish this morning for Anna's Skinny Dipping post! I'm already plotting which nude polish to showcase next month ... so many choices!

12 comments:

  1. This color is really beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this shade, it's so pretty! But the formula sounds less than spectacular.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Melissa! Oh, yeah. The formula was ... well, most people would have thrown it across the room. It was not fun. Good thing my payoff was awesome!

      Delete
  3. The color is so gorgeous on you; it's too bad the wear is not so great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Stephanie! I think it's a body chemistry quirk. Hopefully my base/top coat combo will work just as well with my other Color Clubs!

      Delete
  4. What base coat did you use? I usually only do Gelous + Seche when I'm trying to smooth out glitter but I want to see if your magical combo will work for me too!

    That last photo allllllllmost makes it look like Skulls & Glossbones!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, lady! Okay, so here's my combo:

      (1) Instant Artificials (pink bottle) - you can buy this at Sally's
      (2) Gelous (green bottle) - also found at Sally's
      (3) usually 3 coats of color
      (4) Gelous again
      (5) top coat

      And that's usually the reason I can get away with wearing stuff for a few days with minimal tip wear or chips. When one of my nails is peeling, I just sub out the first layer of IA with Essie Feed Me.

      Dude, I almost forgot I had Skull & Glossbones. SHAME ON ME.

      Delete
  5. So. Pretty. Perfect for a palate cleanser.
    Pucci-licious is one of my favorites, too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ali!

      I think Pucci-licious was my first Color Club (or the first one that I kept). I love it so much!

      Delete

Thank you for checking out my little nail blog! I do read and appreciate your comments and/or feedback, although it might take me a few days to get back to you. Time-sensitive inquiries should be directed to my e-mail address (rachswatched@gmail).

Please be polite and respectful when responding to others' comments in a post; if you are rude, I will delete your comment and Hannibal Lecter will eat you. Please don't leave spam comments with blog links -- it's tacky and I don't do it. Neither should you.